What do you monitor with your Scangauge2?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Been a while since I've spent any time here. And for now my Overland dreams have been scaled all the way down to a 2013 Chevy Traverse (at least it's AWD ;) ) pulling an old Coleman popup...

Anyway, far from the 'build thread' I have always dreamed of, but you guys are definitely the most knowledgeable and thorough-thinkers around, so thought I'd bring my question here:

I got the Scangauge2 for automatic tranny temp., and, of course, code reader. But I'm kinda overwhelmed by the other programmable options.

Not interested in the performance monitor. Who cares what kind of quarter mile time you get when pulling a camper with a grocery-getter?

The trip meter and mileage stuff can be handled by the built-in displays. Built-in speedo and tach seem fine.

So, what else would you / do you monitor with the Scangauge?

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
And monitoring coolant temp and voltage with this would probably be better than what's in the dash...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I monitor Instant MPG, Distance To Empty (Scangauge calls it "Tank To Empty"), Trans temp and Tank Average MPG (this is much more useful to me than "trip average" because that resets every time you shut off the ignition.)
The Distance To Empty is my default fuel gauge. Much more accurate than either the factory gauge or the "lie-o-meter" on the HVAC panel.
Sometimes I'll switch it to monitor engine water temp, like when I was pulling the trailer through Death Valley in July.

mathers420

Observer
Coolant temp
Voltage
Average MPG (liters per 100 kms because I'm metric ;) )
Speed in KMpH (my tacoma is american and the speedometer is in MPH and my Cruiser's speedometer is off by 20%)

I've diagnosed a dying Alternator (twice) due to my voltage gauge and I just like to ensure my coolant temp is good. Toyotas (and probably most other manufacturers) has a coolant gauge that will mask rising heat until it's too late and the needle won't start to rise until your air conditioning is cut off.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Isint there an iPad app you can buy that plugs into your scanguage that allows you to monitor everything on the iPad screen with charts and graphs and all that? I might be getting it confused with another product...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Trans temp, voltage, coolant temp, and transmission gears.

Transmission gears? Hadn't seen that option. Like showing what gear the auto tranny is currently using? That might be helpful as a diagnostic for the 'tow' button that is supposed to change shift points...

Thanks,

Desertdave

Ford Diesel 6.0

On my 6.0 I monitor the oil temp and the coolant temp to check the delta between them, as a diagnostic for impending issues on the oil cooler/egr cooler. This was the primary reason I bought the scangauge. Less than 15 degrees in steady state, no worries.

For fun I watch boost, and mileage since I started the engine. The factory boost gauge is too small to read. I have analog EGT, Trans temp and voltage gauges separate from the scangauge.

I sometimes scroll through the various options for something to do, when the road/traffic allow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94