Why do I want APRS???

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Your post stands out to me because I also picked up the Mobil linkd TNC. I've only had a chance to use it with my cellphone to get my understanding set. I sort of got it. I've wanted to run similar as yourself as I have spare Baofeng (magmount antenna) and Google Tablet already inhand.

Any chance you'd share a step-by-step setup and usage of yours?

Is there any conflict with other gear you have that is also in operation to be aware about?

Thanks!

Well first to make an addendum to my post that you quoted, I am no longer using the dual band (1/4 wave on 2m) mag mount. I don't know if there was something wrong with the antenna or the coax or what, but I could TX most of the time but RX was almost non-existent unless I was really close to the digi-peater. I hooked the radio up to the dual band (1/2 wave on 2m) NMO mount antenna I use for my mobile radio and it worked tremendously better so I have another antenna and coax enroute. I also adjusted the squelch setting of the radio via CHIRP and it also seemed to help. The factory setting for level 1 squelch is 40ish for the UV5R (40 what I don't know...) but I lowered it to 8 I believe.

I followed the directions for the Mobilinkd: http://www.mobilinkd.com/downloads/ and the APRSDroid directions here: https://github.com/ge0rg/aprsdroid/wiki/Settings and don't think I had any issues getting it set up.

If you run into issues I would be glad to try and help.

I do not have any conflict between gear I just keep the two dual band antennas far enough away from each other.

Now I am contemplating getting a 2m mobile radio for APRS, though the Baofeng works fine the digi-peaters in my area are 25 and 40 miles away. The 4 watts from the Baofeng just doesn't always make it into the digi-peaters. Hoping a few more watts may help that issue, but for now the dual band (1/2 wave on 2m) antenna should help.

Again would be happy to help or answer any questions I can.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
APRS is one of the things that attracted me to getting licensed. I use it for a few different reasons...

1. My wife and I do our overland trips alone; we have no one to help in case of breakdown or emergency. Even when well outside of cell voice or data coverage, it's almost always possible to hit a repeater somewhere. Since friends and family aren't HAMs (thus I couldn't place a radio call to them), I can use APRS to send SMS (text) messages or emails. Many folks don't know that APRS isn't only for 2 meter operation; it's also used on HF, greatly expanding the ability to reach out from the backcountry. By the way, more and more 911 call centers are implementing SMS capabilities (you'd need to send to the call center's 10-digit phone number).
2. APRS receives packets from other stations, many of which are well beyond voice range. Most of these stations can be sent a message requesting information, help, etc.
3. Family and friends can watch our real-time progress on the map, so they (almost) always know where we are. I could reset my status to EMERGENCY if needed, which would be visible to anyone keeping an eye on our travels and to all other stations receiving our packets.
4. It's a wonderful way to see the other HAMs around you and serves as an intro to meeting them.
5. It's a good way to find IRLP and Echolink repeaters.

Note that in very remote areas the APRS radio may need some menu tweaks to allow packets to find their way to an igate station. When heading back toward civilization the operator needs to reset the radio to prevent spamming the APRS system with excess QRM. There are certainly other devices out there that can provide off-the-grid status updates, messages and emergency calls, but I find APRS fun. To quote Dr Seuss, fun is good! :D

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Add me to the list who use it for tracking. Very nice to come home , punch in the date and see a map of the travels. I can search back as far as I want and get them :)

I have a friend in CA who had his truck stolen and few years ago. He called law enforcement and told them where it was traveling and how fast. Recovered in less than half an hour.

I have been using the Microtrak RTG for a long time now. Sits under the back seat, basically forgotten. Wakes up with the ignition.

molle.JPG

(You can almost see it under the dune flag at the top of that photo)

Love it :)

DannyLLama

Observer
Great thread and motivating for me to setup my D710G... I see a few members on here are using this radio @Chris Boyd and @whatevah .. Any recommendations on the type of setup required to accomplish APRS and dual band voice radio? I would like to have the install complete before a November trip.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Great thread and motivating for me to setup my D710G... I see a few members on here are using this radio @Chris Boyd and @whatevah .. Any recommendations on the type of setup required to accomplish APRS and dual band voice radio? I would like to have the install complete before a November trip.

The D710 is a dual band voice radio, and a TNC packet radio, all in one. But I'm not really understanding the question. Perhaps if you outlined the situation you are setting up for I can be of more help.

Assuming what you are asking is how to RX and TX on 2 frequencies AND run APRS without pushing any extra buttons on a D710, well you can't.

If you use the D710G for APRS, one band (or more accurately, side) will be tied up with that, leaving the other side for voice.

So [APRS | Voice] or [Voice | Voice] but no [APRS | Voice | Voice]. (You would need a tri-band-side-whatever radio for that, and one is not made to my knowledge.)

I understand everyone calls it a "band" but really it's what "side" of the radio you are using. The D710 is like having 2 dual band radios and a TNC packed into one unit. The control head lets you run one radio (on one side) or the other by pressing a button that lets you pick which internal radio you are manipulating.

Both "sides" can RX and TX on either 2M/70cm "band" so I don't understand why the "band" terminology applies, but bear with me. The bands are not identical, but completely overlap on the TX frequencies so it doesn't matter for most uses except aircraft AM RX which is the left side only, and some of the really hi Mhz freq. RX are right side only.

The left side is the default for APRS, but you can move it to the right side if you really want to.

Anyway....

You can turn APRS off (or just turn off beaconing) and use that side for voice, then reset it to APRS freq. and reactivate the beaconing. It's only a few button pushes to swap it over. But that is kind of silly as it would be easier to just use the side setup for voice and change the channel. You cannot TX on 2 frequencies at the same time no matter what you do.

You can do a call frequency scan on the voice side side allowing you to just scan between 2 frequencies. Sort of like a dual watch on a Baofeng. You will have to stop the scan and talk on one or the other then resume scanning.

But if you want 2 sides on voice at the same time, AND set and forget APRS you need 2 radios. APRS is easy on the D710 so I'd use it for APRS plus the primary voice freq. Another radio, and most likely another antenna are required if you actually want to do 3 things at once....

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You cannot TX on 2 frequencies at the same time no matter what you do.
A bit of a clarification here if a new ham is reading this. You can have both sides of the D710 (or FTM-350, FTM-400 as well) on different frequencies and transmit with them both, one side on APRS and the other voice. You cannot TX at the exact same instant in time but the radio will hold off the APRS transmit if you're currently transmitting on the voice side until you release the key on the mic. These class of radio prioritize transmitter access (since is the same electronics that actually do the transmitting) and put APRS at a lower priority to avoid a conflict. Or vice versa, if the APRS is currently transmitting the radios will prevent you from transmitting on voice until it's done. They also momentarily switch the receive over and blank the voice side to prevent any interference since the APRS frequency of 144.390 (in the U.S.) is close enough to other 2m frequencies to cause issues up to and including damaging receiver electronics if the duplexer allowed the non-APRS side to continue receiving during an APRS transmit. Point here is these radios function intelligently to handle being an APRS station on one side and a regular voice radio on the other.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
To me, the idea of APRS feels like wearing a tie. A little noose around my neck tracking me. I know that's a silly reaction, but it's just the way it strikes me.
This is me, too. Kinda goes against the grain of "getting away from it all".

Airmapper

Inactive Member
This is me, too. Kinda goes against the grain of "getting away from it all".

Do you own a smartphone, or any cellular device?

Same thing, except more sinister. APRS can be disabled when you value your privacy.

APRS is for sharing your location when it will benefit you and whoever you wish to interact with, and you don't mind the public knowing where you are. You don't have to run it 24/7 to use it. So you can turn it off so nobody finds out where you hide bodies.

FYI APRS is set up to work online on 144.39. If you want to use it among your group and not gate to the internet, simply use another frequency in the digital mode range of 2M.

Longrange308

Adventurer
Well, I bit the bullet and jumped into APRS with both feet.

I went out and bought a Yaesu FTM-400XDR and installed it in my truck with a dual-band larsen NMO antenna. APRS has been somewhat helpful actually already. I like to go hiking and hunting on my own and it gives my other half peace-of-mind to know at least where I started out my adventure. If I dont check in at a certain time, she knows to start worrying. Though I also carry a SPOT GPS as well, in case there are any serious emergencies.

Around town I typically leave the auto-beaconing off, but kick it on when I am heading out for some quality alone time in the woods.

PabloCruise

New to Expedition Portal - thank you for letting me join!

I know this isn't the newest APRS thread, but it does look like it has the most replies.

I am a relative novice to amatuer radio (K0TNP), so I apologize for the painful questions ahead, but here goes...

If we like exploring the area S of Canyonlands, am I correct that the only resources available for APRS are CANYLD digipeater and the ABAJO repeater?

I was looking at APRS.FI: https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=9&call=a/ABAJO&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Thank you all!

DaveInDenver

@PabloCruise, around Moab, Green River, Monticello, etc I've had packets heard through the gateways or digipeaters on Baxter Pass, Abajo Mt, Sand Flats, Bald Mesa, Cedar Mt, Uncompaghre Butte and K7YI-4 in Castle Dale. This is with a 5 watt data radio and a 1/2 wavelength antenna.

ETA: Around Needles and La Sal, Monticello I'd also expect the digipeater near Reade Hill (RBERRY) would also hear you.

Last edited:

PabloCruise

@PabloCruise, around Moab, Green River, Monticello, etc I've had packets heard through the gateways or digipeaters on Baxter Pass, Abajo Mt, Sand Flats, Bald Mesa, Cedar Mt, Uncompaghre Butte and K7YI-4 in Castle Dale. This is with a 5 watt data radio and a 1/2 wavelength antenna.

ETA: Around Needles and La Sal, Monticello I'd also expect the digipeater near Reade Hill (RBERRY) would also hear you.

Did not take long for you to find me over here Dave, ha! Thank you. I am ready to take the plunge, but I guess I better find a good vehicle antenna for the FT-60. Any favorites that you recommend?

DaveInDenver

Did not take long for you to find me over here Dave, ha! Thank you. I am ready to take the plunge, but I guess I better find a good vehicle antenna for the FT-60. Any favorites that you recommend?
Are you thinking about dedicating your HT for 2m APRS permanently or do you plan on using it for other stuff? I only ask because a plain old 2m whip is cheap and most effective but your FT-60 is capable of 70cm so you might want a dual band if you're ever going to use it for voice.

Can't go wrong with a Larsen NMO-150 or Laird B1443 for a VHF antenna. You'd need a mag mount or drill a hole for an NMO base with them, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94