Stability and Traction Lights Intermittent

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Hello all,

I've been struggling with this one. My stability and traction lights will randomly come on solid at the same time while driving. The lights will either go off on their own, or will go off after the car has been restarted. When the this issue is not occurring, the traction control and stability seem to work as expected. I have not been able to test if the traction and stability work when the issue is occurring. This does not happen every time I drive, and almost seems to be occurring less as time goes on. Previously I had a check engine light for the MAF, but after cleaning and resetting, it has not come back. The lights have been doing this since I purchased the vehicle. Since then I've had the battery out multiple times, replaced the brake pads, but not changed the fluid (on the list), among other things.

The manual basically says to use the MUT scan tool to determine the issue, but I thought I'd check with you experts before I toss $50 at the dealer to have them read the codes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Alex

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
This has been asked and discussed before, a quick search will pull up the relevant information. It would also benefit you to state which year and model you own.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Oops, thought the model and year were in my signature somewhere, I'm on too many forums. It's an '03 Montero. Existing threads were not too helpful. They were either about the steering wheel calibration after the battery was removed, or someone posting that had other relevant MIL/CELs on already. No thread I found had an intermittent issue that occurred after the vehicle had been running for a while. I'll keep searching.

jhill15

Explorer
Theres a way to read codes without using the special mitsu scanner. I can't remember which threads ot has been discussed, hopefully someone can chime in and be more helpful. I think...and I might be wrong but if you have an intermittent cel wouldn't still record a fault code...i'm probably wrong though. I do know that when I pull my battery and after I relearn the idle I have to drive a good mile or 2 to get my traction control light to go off.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
When I searched previously, the only "manual" way to read codes was for the regular trouble codes and not those stored on the M-ASTC ecu. I'm all ears if someone has a way to check the stored M-ASTC faults/codes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz