Stoked on my new HiAce

Alaska2Baja

ooops. Moved this over here to the "VAN" forum

I wanted to go in another direction for our winter trips to Baja and so we sold the trusty F350/Callen Camper rig and started searching for a JDM diesel Landcruiser. After several months of looking I still hadn't found the "right" one, however during a trip to drive a newly imported HJ61, I found out about a cool little van that was in a container on it's way to CA. I spent a few weeks at the computer researching the history, reliability and capability of these unique vehicles and although it's certainly not the best choice for our longer trip needs, I decided it would be a cute and inexpensive project. If nothing else it will be a great daily driver and adept overland vehicle for shorter trips of a few weeks or less.

So- what I now have is a 1989 Toyota 4x4 HiAce. These JDM toyota vans have a 3L diesel (2800cc) engine, manual hubs and a Hi/Lo transfer case. It is RHD and a one owner, rust free vehicle with only 46,000 miles. With an IFS front end, only a mild lift of 1-2" is practical, but that will be plenty of room for a set of 215/75R/15 tires and Koni shocks. Currently, it is set up as a passenger van, but with the seats removed, there is ample space for a convertible bed, slide out fridge and storage. I'll find a place to squeeze in an AGM house battery and just like all my previous rigs, an onboard compressor to adjust tire pressure for baja's wash board and beaches. That will most likely be it. From what I am reading, keeping the load light is key in these little vans.

Anyway- wanted to share my new rig. I'm anxious to get started and of course, open to any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0153-2.jpg
    IMG_0153-2.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0157-2.jpg
    IMG_0157-2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 34

sg1

Adventurer
This is a great little van. I have seen them all over Latinamerica, Asia and Africa where they are still the backbone of public transportation. Probably one of the best choices or a trip around the world because they are simple, have a legendary reliability and you get parts anywhere in the 3rd world. We used a lot of those vans as buses in our mining projects. Have fun.
Stefan

philos

Explorer
My better half and I honeymooned for a month in a pop-top Hiace in Oz. Lots of surfboards and gear and we never felt cramped... but I did hit pretty much every curb on every roundabout I drove through :D :D

simple

Adventurer
Really cool little machine. I'm curious if you can put an aftermarket turbo on it.

A friend of mine bought that same year and model van last summer. The only drawbacks are that it didn't come equipped with a turbo so fuel economy and power are lower when compared to the newer models with turbo. I think he's getting around 22mpg and is 10mph slower than traffic over the passes.

Another friend of mine has the Master Ace Surf with factory turbo on it and it gets around 30mpg and rips down the highway and up to the ski area.

PGGRS

Observer
Very nice. My '90 Town Ace gets 30 mpg with it's tiny 2C motor, and it's not as slow as I expected. Runs with the stock Westys, which is really what class it's in. Thought of adding a turbo from a newer model, but it's not just a manifold & exhaust. Tapping for water & oil lines & returns. Actually easier to do a complete engine swap, which it doesn't need...Good luck with it!

town ace 009.jpg

Alaska2Baja

Thanks for the kudos on the new rig guys.

The van was late getting to me (stuck on a container in Long Beach, CA for a few weeks) so unfortunately, I only received it a few hours prior to leaving for Alaska for my summer gig. It's in storage in CA until I get back to pick it up in the Fall. Until then, I'm doing more research, shopping for parts suppliers and developing a concept for the mods. I, just like you only have a few photos to look at and it's killing me.

xoblaim- I purchased the van from an importer in CA. Since I'm an Alaskan resident I was able to register it here. It's currently not possible to register these vans in CA.

Alaska2Baja

Love your pop-top PGGRS. If I can source one of the Country Home Camper Tops, I will add one to my HiAce. So far, challenging to find one for a 1989.

PGGRS

Observer
Thanks, looks like both of ours will sit for a bit. might even sell mine...found it on CL when looking in Victoria for a 5th wheel. Couldn't resist...

as for parts try Rocky Mountain in Victoria, BC. They import vehicles & parts from Japan all the time. Keep your chassis # handy (not VIN) , as that's how they cross reference with Japan suppliers.

delux68

Thanks, looks like both of ours will sit for a bit. might even sell mine...found it on CL when looking in Victoria for a 5th wheel. Couldn't resist...

as for parts try Rocky Mountain in Victoria, BC. They import vehicles & parts from Japan all the time. Keep your chassis # handy (not VIN) , as that's how they cross reference with Japan suppliers.

i really dig your little camper. i PM'd you a few questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne