Interstate Battery suitable for battery bank???

AndrewP

Explorer
Interstate website says east penn.

Even has east penn in the actual http address.

Also, Carquest house brand is East Penn.

They are not hard to find.

That's good info. So Costco Interstate batteries are east penn? They sure look like the same old Johnson Controls cases.

jkam

nomadic man
I have 2 Trojan T 105's in my Lazy Daze. I put them in January 2008 and they seem to be doing OK. Not as robust as new but still doing their job.
So 7 years so far and I hope at least a few more, then, even with new technology I'll probably get another pair of T 105's.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have 2 Trojan T 105's in my Lazy Daze. I put them in January 2008 and they seem to be doing OK. Not as robust as new but still doing their job.
So 7 years so far and I hope at least a few more, then, even with new technology I'll probably get another pair of T 105's.

How many cycles at what depth of discharge?

It's a bit like saying, "I've been playing guitar for 10 years."

Well yea okay...but...did you practice for an hour twice a week - or 4 hours a day 7 days a week?

jkam

nomadic man
I have no idea about cycles. These batteries have been used but not too heavily. I am not a big consumer of power.
I realize the data isn't there to support whatever, but real world experience in 7 years of use and I am happy.
That's what I care about.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Heh...okay guys. Lemme re-phrase that...

All lead-acid batteries are crap, and if you actually use them, only last a few years. :)

jkam

nomadic man
Heh...okay guys. Lemme re-phrase that...

All lead-acid batteries are crap, and if you actually use them, only last a few years. :)

They get used. I run my microwave off them for short bursts, then the batteries recover pretty quickly.
My toaster oven really works them, but they recover quickly with the solar panels.

I would like to add 4 more of them if I could find a spot to put them.

While lead acid batteries aren't the greatest, they are cheaper than other choices and provide a solution to those of us who can't afford better.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
While lead acid batteries aren't the greatest, they are cheaper than other choices and provide a solution to those of us who can't afford better.

I'm not convinced they're all that much cheaper, especially when supporting larger loads like a microwave or toaster oven. e.g.. T105 has a nominal 250Ah rating but rating falls to just 166Ah with a 100A (~1000W AC) load like a toaster oven or microwave. Assuming we only want to discharge to 50% for maximum life that gives us 83Ah of usable energy.

I'm not sure what prices are like over that side of the pacific but here 2 x T105s will set you back $615 (http://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/trojan-t105-p-46.html)
A 100Ah lithium battery is just a few clams more @ $674 (http://ev-power.com.au/webstore/ind...es-1/12v-4-cell-100ah-lfp-battery-module.html)

The sticker might say 250Ah vs 100Ah but in the case of larger loads the lithium will provide similar usable energy (80Ah) for a significantly higher number of cycles - somewhere between 2000 and 4000 depending on who you ask (although i don't know anyone who's done anywhere near these figures yet)

Lead needs long absorption charging times to get from 80% SoC to 100% too, which doesn't really suit charging from solar whereas lithium will accept any charge rate over the whole SoC range so your batteries will be fully charged much quicker with Lithium.

Then there is weight... T105s = 56Kg , Lithium = 12.5Kg

Horses for courses but I think lithium is getting close to price parity for some systems based on how they're used and charged. Don't judge a book by its cover, or a battery by its Ah sticker :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

I use them myself.

But I don't baby them, and I don't carry double what I need. I use the crap out of them and replace them when they've hit the end of their life cycle curve. I buy half as much battery, twice as often.

I do that because I recognize the fact that they are disposable commodity products. They are not precise electronic components with 500,000 hour MTBF. They'll do a certain thing, a certain number of times, and then they're shot.

texascrane

Adventurer
I thought Interstate brand was purchased by Johnson Controls?

East Penn normal batteries have a good rep-but they are hard to find. For instance, there was a rumor that Oreilly's were East Penn. So I went there and looked-the regular lead acid are Johnson Controls. Only the AGM high end was a rebadged Deka Intimidator.

I can say quite confidently that Interstate is not owned by Johnson Controls. It's a privately held company. Johnson Controls manufactures a number of batteries for Interstate.

FWIW, Interstate is a huge provider of OEM batteries: Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Chrysler, Audi, VW, Subaru, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior