Road trip/Adventure/offroading to Utah and Colorado...

peneumbra

Explorer
Looks like there will be a few of us hanging out in Moab over the Memorial Day weekend. Feel free to send PMs (even in the AM) if you want to do some trails, et al...

I got to Albuquerque at 3am, pulled up at a gas station, rolled down my window to speak with attendant. Done and tried to roll my window back up but the switch was broken.

In that very cold weather, I had to decide to stay in Albuquerque until the Nissan dealerships open in 5 hours, then fix it before heading to Telluride for another 5 hours. I decided to brave it and drive to Durango, CO, in the cold with my drive side window open. Not a good experience, but I did and went into Durango, Colorado and went to Economy Nissan and waited until they opened at 8am.

On this day, they happen to have only one service technicians as all other 3 were on tie off. I wonder why they would have only one service technician at any one time in a dealership. Well, I decided to go have breakfast and head out. I ate at Dough Works. I highly recommend anybody stopping in Durango, CO to eat there if they are looking for a good breakfast place.

52NNwuG.jpg

oisroxQ.jpg

hiqN2jj.jpg

4RWN3Wj.jpg

I left Durango, CO in the cold and headed for my 2.5 hours drive to Telluride, CO to see what I can get done there. It was a nice ride as I was just amazed by everything I was seeing. It is my first time to Colorado and I say the route was very scenic. Then I got to see a cougar, or mountain lion and a bobcat. I tried to take a pic of both, but the elusive cats were faster. I also saw a moose or what was that? And I saw a coyote. All I saw at different instances by the road. A few pics to share.

m6mcJKL.jpg

Bobcat and mountain lion somewhere in the middle of this picture. Hidden behind the trees.
ZsB2zpf.jpg

NGZ5Cj9.jpg

3sgQY1U.jpg

ypePmBy.jpg

xghV7IF.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I am in Telluride, I decided I was going to try and ask around and locate the famous trails like Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass and I wanted to see the Bridal Veil which is on Black Bear Pass. Little did I know that I will end up find myself doing a solo trip on Imogene Pass and Black bear Pass and actually doing the trails even though people said they were closed. And yes, they are definitely closed, but amazingly, I found out that people are going up until they meet the snow and then they turn back. Well, I did the same. And it was a very scary adventure, but worth the adrenaline rush and excitement I got.

Tackling Imogene Pass

I asked around and was told people have been going up until they meet the snow blocking the way. Then they struggle to make a uturn and come back. Well, I was here for adventures so I set off alone on the trail. It was my first time and it was very intimidating. I put it on 4Hi and put it in 4 and 3 occasionally and even 2 as I climbed up Imogene Pass.

The trail starts on Oak St
Zhd0Cp6.jpg

Not even 2 minutes into the trail, this car starts coming from the other direction. With no way to bypass, he burns rubber and backs up into a private property. I stop and ask him about the roads, thank him for backing up and continue up the trail
Sflsr94.jpg

PH4sJMb.jpg

Stopped to take a quick pic by a small waterfall
1ACZoyu.jpg

And I got to my dead end. Snow infront. I went closer and realized I was too close and will not be able to make a uturn, so I had to carefully backup to a safer area where it felt like I made a 10 point turn to make a safe uturn.
dcuijKd.jpg

I backed up to this point where I made the uturn.
VAh1Aeh.jpg

THIS IS THE DEAD END. This snow blocks the way. I hear there is more snow ahead. But this was the dead end for me. I safely parked and hiked and went and touched it and took pics.
4Er5kdJ.jpg

I could only go this high: 9,941ft. But high enough for me for when I stepped out of the car, I felt I was having a hard time breathing, but did a few exercises and felt better. Scary to be up there all alone.
2cjVjVL.jpg

Last edited:
Next, I went and did Black Bear Pass. I was actually going to see the Bridal Veil, but to get there, you must go through Black Gap. So, I went. Well, after being told that it was not bad at all.

Black Bear trail in the back as I make up my mind to go on it.
Jk3kQCF.jpg

My gps showing my progress and the switchbacks I get to.
Tuy9hXJ.jpg

I went only as high as 9,705ft.
YGppgAu.jpg

I took a few pics and then began my decent.
DesiwVU.jpg

JuasYRm.jpg

On my decent I stopped to take a pic by this boulder and I could hear a lot of coyotes in the distance calling each other. It was so noticeable I flt they were close by. So, I hurried and got into the car and finished my decent into Telluride.
eZIlEsD.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be out there 1st/2nd week of June. I knew the trip was a bit early. Hurry up and warm-up Colorado!

Yes, most of the popular trails all have snow on them right now. But it sure will be all open in July, I think. I may just come back in July to drive all these trails.

But I am still having a blast out here enjoying the trails, nature, scenic byways and the wildlife.

I left my hotel today heading to Montrose, Co to fix my Armada then decided to go to Ouray, CO and see it for a bit. Along the way, I took some scenic shots.

039oP9r.jpg

1vLM4Un.jpg

I met a couple of guys on their way to drive a few trails. I wanted to do one with them, but it going to be too long and they said my car may not make it. So, I just drove with them on the million dollar highway until they got to the start of the trail. There I took pictures of this map that basically shows all the trails in the area. A very good picture to have.

If anybody is going to Ouray, CO, this pictures of this map is very good. And if you go to Ouray, CO, and wondering what traisl to do, this picture has a lit of all trails and their locations. Then the offroad book I bought has the details and maps and description of all the trails.

1DgDdwz.jpg

U6iiyKw.jpg

rUWgLm2.jpg

02taC7J.jpg

I finally got my window regulator replaced here at MOntrose NIssan in Montrose, CO. It cost me $500 out the door. A lot more than I could have paid to get it fixed in my area. Well, glad the car is fixed. I am on my way now to Moab, UT.

XYTAMhi.jpg

6mQuNxy.jpg

3ZgOP49.jpg

FA3K7OO.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz