Transport 20 lbs propane tank to camp

Lucky j

Explorer
I do not think it is for it to get to hot, It as to be for other safety reason. But pull my leg, I do not know what it is! Maybe they consider that they would be harder to secure in an up-right position.

GregSplett

Adventurer
The place I take my tanks to fill will not fill them unless you have a way to transport them outside of the passenger area. Even if you have a large cargo van they will not fill the tank if they know you will be transporting it where there could be passengers. DOT has no regulation governing people (individuals not commercial) transporting gasoline (in removable storage), never asked about propane though. I know my state has strict laws about permanently mounted fuel tanks, none I have seen about portable tanks. You could check with state laws if it was something you are concerned about. I wouldn't worry about it.

So how do you transport by this places rules?On a trailer???

MOguy

Explorer
So how do you transport by this places rules?On a trailer???

Trailer or my truck. Regardless of their rule that is how I would transport it anyway. Not because of safety, just because that is easiest for me. I only get propane once a year so no big deal.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Trailer or my truck. Regardless of their rule that is how I would transport it anyway. Not because of safety, just because that is easiest for me. I only get propane once a year so no big deal.

I have had a car fill up with propane before so I get the concern.Mine was disposable green bottle I had refilled many times.I will not carry those anymore and have caps for my others.I have cradles for them also that keep them upright.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
If it leaks, you will smell it before it get dangerous.

Not always and especially if it is in the trunk.

Apparently some people are genetically unable to smell the odourant mercaptin so that is another reason to heed the commonsense suggestion to only transport propane tanks upright and in the open air or in an enclosure vented appropriately outside the passenger area. And of course it goes without saying that a propane alarm down at floor level isn't a bad idea

from http://globalnews.ca/news/2006424/camper-explodes-in-kelowna-walmart-parking-lot/

img_3087.jpg

img_3093.jpg

(Tanks used in propane powered vehicles have a sealed shroud over the inlet and outlet and pressure relief valve and that shroud is vented to atmosphere via a pipe)

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a 10# tank mounted on the back of my trailer (outside) and just picked up a second for the Outland fire ring. The second one is going inside the trailer for now, until I get the second custom 10# tank holder from my buddy Mike (hint hint mike). lol I picked them up for $59.00 each full.

I like their size and weight, and they last quite a while on the fire ring, and a really long time running the hot water heater and the stove. As far as mounting them inside a vehicle, it is not ideal and not something I do, but if done properly and ventilation is available, you should be fine.

I have carried my tank on the roof of the XJ and the WK in their basket racks, on its side mind you. It was VERY well strapped in with ratchet straps and was going nowhere. If it did, I would be having a lot more troubles than JUST the propane tank coming loose.

Where I fill up, the certified propane guy helps me load it in the back of my XJ.

Lucky j

Explorer
Ok, hope no one got injured in that one, because the result is some kind of ilarius! But don't get me wrong, I'm a paramedic, so O know about the gravity of the potential injuries and drama if some thing like this.

Now about thos little green bottle, they are not made to be reusable, even is some kit are made just to do this. They have a tendancy to leek when brand new, so mess with that opening once to many time, and it is just a leek waiting to happen.

Now about that smell, some people might not be able to smell the odor, but some people are just carless and just used stuff without nowing that household good can be dangerous.

Remeber, it is gas. It also need to reach a certain concentration to explode. And he was asking how to carry a 20 bls propane tank to camp, not for en extendend period of time on an overland trip.

But the best thing you have to do, is follow youre local government regulation and ay attention to what you are doing. We saw a camper explosion in tje picture, but we also see hous explosion, and gas is still used in house everywhere.

Not always and especially if it is in the trunk.

Apparently some people are genetically unable to smell the odourant mercaptin so that is another reason to heed the commonsense suggestion to only transport propane tanks upright and in the open air or in an enclosure vented appropriately outside the passenger area. And of course it goes without saying that a propane alarm down at floor level isn't a bad idea

from http://globalnews.ca/news/2006424/camper-explodes-in-kelowna-walmart-parking-lot/

img_3087.jpg

img_3093.jpg

(Tanks used in propane powered vehicles have a sealed shroud over the inlet and outlet and pressure relief valve and that shroud is vented to atmosphere via a pipe)

net4n6

Adventurer
I found a solution. I have to spend extra money for the 5 lbs tank (it was lots more expensive than the 20 lbs tank).

Attachments

• IMG_20150524_073704.jpg
    IMG_20150524_073704.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I think that camper most likely had something connected with propane as to why it leaked ? as in hooked up to a stove or heater etc...
did not just go boom on its own sitting there valve closed no connection :)

like mentioned I would not drive around with my hoses on and valve on to a stove or something

Freebird

Adventurer
My Alaskan camper has burner nobs/valves easy to accidentally "bump on" right by the camper door.
Someday I'll make a shield/cover for them. In the meantime the gas is OFF unless it is being used right then - the tank is conveniently very close to the door, outside rear.

A bump of the valve on the way out the door, plus an ignition source, like a pilot light, older electric clock, thermostat, etc. would do the trick.

RobRed

Explorer
I'd also suggest the Worthington 11 lb. tank. Home Depot online sells them, and Powertank sells a really nice aluminum mount (which I have it on the front of my trailer). I considered a 20 lb. tank, which makes since as they're easy to exchange, however the 11 lb. is enough (even with a Campfire in a Can) and less weight to carry.

wxx5b.jpg

Same setup on my rig....

file.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94