New Truck Purchase Opinions Requested - Tundra vs Power Wagon vs 2500 Gas

nick325i

Adventurer
Yeah. I've been looking for a little while but I did appreciate the last minute opinions.

I do like the fords as well. I had a 11' F250 diesel for a while and I liked it other than reasons I mentioned above. Other than the Dodges price what pushed me over the edge was the engine choices. I have heard the new Ford 6.2 gas is a good motor but I would like to see on the market for a few more years. The 5.7 thru 6.4 Hemi's have been out for a little while and it has a good warranty so we'll see how it goes. I will make sure and update everyone if I have issues.

ripperj

Explorer
Nice choice, I think you will be happy. What state are you in? That's a good price.I'm in CT, I paid about that for my '12 Ram 2500 4x4 crew cab used with 10k on the odo back in '12. The new sticker was around 46k I think. The price I paid induced a bumper to bumper warranty with towing and roadside. I should have saved the $ I think, I'm at 45000 without a hiccup, I did get the tie rod replaced under recall.
I love the truck, it's the 5.7 hemi, I get about 15mpg back and forth to work on state roads doing 60. About the same on the highway doing 75 with the ac going
Enjoy!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

nick325i

Adventurer
That was quick. Good choice.

You can add lockers and the offroad stuff as needed. The PW is a bit off, for most of us. The 2.5 Carli's are great. But get one of the better kits, not the basic one.
http://www.carlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/suspension_2014/backcountry20.html

I've been wondering... With Dodge going to coils all the way around. Is adding airsprings going to be as simple as stuffing an airbag inside the coils eventually? That sure would be nice and easy.

I think they offer airbags from the factory on the high end models so there is probably so way to retrofit it. I used a 14' 2500 to tow my rover last year and it barely sagged at all without bags. It was actually a little tough to gauge the tongue weight.

Last edited:

nick325i

Adventurer
Nice choice, I think you will be happy. What state are you in? That's a good price.I'm in CT, I paid about that for my '12 Ram 2500 4x4 crew cab used with 10k on the odo back in '12. The new sticker was around 46k I think. The price I paid induced a bumper to bumper warranty with towing and roadside. I should have saved the $ I think, I'm at 45000 without a hiccup, I did get the tie rod replaced under recall.
I love the truck, it's the 5.7 hemi, I get about 15mpg back and forth to work on state roads doing 60. About the same on the highway doing 75 with the ac going
Enjoy!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

I'm in Texas. Mine also included an extended warranty, two years worth of oil changes, two tanks of gas and window tint. It was definitely a good deal which is one reason why I jumped on it last night.

My salesman was a good guy though. He really worked to help figure out which one I wanted. He also mentioned that they sale a lot more CTD than gas models so they will offer some really good deals on the gas ones.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Congrats. Good score on that rig. I priced a basic 2500 here and it got 56k. the Canadian dollar is in the ****ter again now. Thanks guys. hopfully the 3rd ************....I mean bush...... gets elected president and the dollar will go right back to where it should be....on par. ha ha.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm in Texas. Mine also included an extended warranty, two years worth of oil changes, two tanks of gas and window tint. It was definitely a good deal which is one reason why I jumped on it last night.

My salesman was a good guy though. He really worked to help figure out which one I wanted. He also mentioned that they sale a lot more CTD than gas models so they will offer some really good deals on the gas ones.

Congrats! Good price too! Is the service contract a factory sponsored one or aftermarket? Your exact truck lives in my neighborhood and purrs by me daily. Buliwyf makes a good point on suspension upgrades. Carli sure offers a well researched upgrade and their stuff's in stock. Don Thuren offers a nice upgrade too but sometimes a waiting period exists.
I rode in a Carli 2.5 Pintop w/full leaf equipped 2012 F-250 awhile ago. Amazing suspension and truck. The only thing spooky was the 8.7 mpg average. No towing the owner said. Electronic transfercase also.
The Dodge should net you much better than that. When the camper goes,I'll be in the market for a gasser and I hope they keep the shift lever on the steering column. You've got the manual transfercase too.

nick325i

Adventurer
Congrats! Good price too! Is the service contract a factory sponsored one or aftermarket? Your exact truck lives in my neighborhood and purrs by me daily. Buliwyf makes a good point on suspension upgrades. Carli sure offers a well researched upgrade and their stuff's in stock. Don Thuren offers a nice upgrade too but sometimes a waiting period exists.
I rode in a Carli 2.5 Pintop w/full leaf equipped 2012 F-250 awhile ago. Amazing suspension and truck. The only thing spooky was the 8.7 mpg average. No towing the owner said. Electronic transfercase also.
The Dodge should net you much better than that. When the camper goes,I'll be in the market for a gasser and I hope they keep the shift lever on the steering column. You've got the manual transfercase too.

It's a factory power train warranty until 100k and bumper to bumper to 36k and an aftermarket bumper to bumper from 36k to 70k.

I was definitely attracted to the simplicity of a manual transfer case. The "old-school" feeling is definitely what pushed me to a Ram.

I'm trying to learn from my past experiences and take the mods slow. Good floor mats are first and maybe a set of slightly larger BFG KO2s (I have a friend at a big used lot in town, they normally swap out the stock gray steel wheels for aftermarket to sell them for more in the lot so I might swap the chrome wheels out for 17" gray steels). The factory ride height is enough for 35" tire and unless you get a high quality complete kit like Carli, factory suspension usually performs better anyway. I might do some quality monotube shocks like Bilstein and be done for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94