New Truck Purchase Opinions Requested - Tundra vs Power Wagon vs 2500 Gas

nick325i

Adventurer
Just to let everyone know, I did search this topic but couldn't find much to help so I decided to go ahead and make a new post.

I have talked my wife into taking over my 08' Range Rover as her DD and trading in her Audi for a new pick-up. We love the Rangie but I drive a lot and I want to "preserve" it and she likes driving it anyway.

I've narrowed it down to a new (or almost new) Tundra DC SR5 4x4 with the TRD Pkg, Power Wagon Tradesman, Ram 2500 DC 4x4 with 6.4 or Chevy 2500HD DC 4x4 with 6.0. I would like the spend at or under $40k.

I'm leaning towards the Tundra for some reason.

I will be regularly (about once a month and a few hours away) towing my 94' RRC on a car hauler which is about 7,000lbs and possibly a travel trailer at about the same weight. Currently my 08' RR tows this and actually does ok but it does feel basically maxed out (tow rating is 7700lbs).

Other than towing, it will be used to get back and forth to various construction projects. Some are a few hours away, so mainly highway driving with some light off-roading mixed in on site (usually doesn't require 4x4, just decent clearance and tires).

Tundra:

Pros:
Toyota quality
5.7 power
Stiff but still a decent 1/2 ton ride (bad back)
10k tow rating
10.5" ring gear/sturdy drive train in general
And the everyone I know that has one seems to LOVE it

Cons:
Visibility isn't great
Prices are usually pretty firm

Power Wagon:

Pros:
Off-Road abilities/toys like winch and etc.
3/4 ton capacities
6.4 power

Cons:
Price, Even if I get a good deal, they are still a few thousand over my budget
Not sure if I need all of the offroad toys

Ram 2500:

Pros:
Price. Seems like there are plenty in the mid $30s to be found
3/4 capacity
6.4 power

Cons:
Will I regret not spending the extra $5k or so for the power wagon.....
3/4 ton ride on long highway trips
Stock tires will probably need an upgrade

Chevy/GMC 2500HD:

Pros:
Proven 6.0 reliability (I've been around a lot of these and they all seems to be very reliable)
3/4 ton ride is little better than Ram

Cons:
Price is usually a little more than a Ram
6.0 power is ok but with larger tires these can be a little weak.
I find these a little boring for some reason.

Let me know what you think. First hand experience would be great.

Nick

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I own a Power Wagon and a Tundra. The PW is a 2005 3G Quad Cab, the Tundra is a 2008 CrewMax TRD. The PW is a truck, the Tundra feels like a car with a box on the back. Gas mileage on both is pretty sad, but if you get a new PW you can get 4.10s instead of my 4.56s, and if you skip the TRD package on the Tundra you can avoid their 4.30s. The Tundra is faster but the PW will go anywhere and will get you home. The 4G PW and the Tundra CrewMax both have huge cabs, but the CrewMax sticks you with a stubby 5-1/2' bed. The DoubleCab gives you a decent bed. Ride is actually better on the PW than on the Tundra, and the PW has much better seats. In fact, the guy that I bought the Tundra from rode in the PW on a round trip from LA to Oregon and back for a quick hunting trip and commented on how much better the PW's seats and ride were than the Tundra's. I bought the PW new, and I got the Tundra with about 68M on it. The PW has been the absolute best and most reliable truck I have ever owned, and I will keep it forever. The Tundra is my daily driver and is the replacement for my old GMC Z71. I will not buy another GM truck, ever. The Tundra has some irritating quirks, including throttle tip-in response and an overall feeling of being somewhat flimsy, despite Toyota's engineering and advertising prowess. If I had my druthers and cost were not an object, I'd have two PWs. If you don't need the PW's bells and whistles, it's still a great truck but you are spending money unnecessarily. If you do need the PW capability, there is nothing better and it's a relative bargain compared to retrofitting all that stuff to some other truck. If you just want a 3/4 ton gasser, think about a Ram 2500 (not the PW version) instead of the Chevy. I think the Ram is a better truck.

nick325i

Adventurer
That is very good information. That is good feedback on the Tundra. Like I said above, I have gotten a lot of good feedback about them but it's from people that don't use a truck like I do so I'm taking it with some reservations.

I'm with you on the GM 1/2 tons for sure. I've had several with the 5.3 and while i haven't had many reliability issues they just aren't designed to tow in my opinion.

If I go with a 3/4 ton, the Ram with the 6.4 seems like a winner. I LOVE the power wagon but at about $36k vs $43k (both as discounted as I can find) I don't know if I can justify it. I'm still on the fence about having a coil sprung rear on a 3/4 ton too but they ride it a little better because of it.

My only reservation with a 3/4 ton was a prior experience. I was in a similar situation last year and I bought a clean used 11' F250 with the 6.7. It towed great but with the mileage I drive all the diesel maintanance wasn't worth it to me and it did bother my back a little. If I get the Ram, I might do Carli springs to help the ride.

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The PW has softer spring packs than the regular Ram 2500, to help with articulation off road. The PW ride is very comfortable and mine is running on 35" Load Range E Toyos with stock suspension and H2 wheels. The guy with the Tundra has a bad back and always sat on one of those goofy wooden roller seat covers in the Toy, but does not need it in the PW. He now drives a Rubicon, but was going to get a 2014 PW until he determined that it would not fit into the garage at his office.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My 2011 PW was the least reliable rig I ever owned, depreciated the fastest, and got the worst fuel economy.

The new motor, trans, and gearing go a long way toward curing an ill. But it still has the electrical system that I was a victim of and will still depreciate like mad.

Why not a diesel Ram?

nick325i

Adventurer
I would consider a diesel Ram if I can stay in my price range. I just don't feel like I need diesel power for the towing a do and I had a less the optimal experience with my ford diesel. It was just a lot of add'l maintanance and extra up front cost for my needs.

chet6.7

Explorer
"3/4 ton ride on long highway trips"

Have you driven a Ram with rear coil springs?
With a few hundred pounds in the back,mine rides pretty smooth for a truck.

nick325i

Adventurer
I have some experience in a 14' Ram 2500 with the CTD. We lease several of these for work. The coils do ride pretty nice for a 3/4 ton.

I think I'm going to go try and drive a new power wagon and 2500 tonight at the local dealer.

amo292

Adventurer
This is kind of an odd comparison. The Tundra is nowhere near a 3/4 ton pickup and you are trying to compare apples and oranges. I have a 08 tundra dbl cab 5.7 4x4 and absolutely love it. Sure there would be things id trade it for (Like the AEV Power Wagon) but I plan on keeping this truck till it rots out from underneath me. With either truck you are going to get **** fuel milage. I average 15mpg max. You start towing 7k and that will be 10mpg max and you will need to fill up every 2 hours or earlier, trust me its a pain. The tundras have a really small tank. While the one massive blindspot in the tundra is annoying it is bearable. It actually makes you a batter driver. While I love my tundra the seats aren't that comfortable. Im not sure if the current model years have addressed that. Like any vehicle read up on some of the quirks. Some model years are better than others for various reasons. Hope this helps!

daveyboy

Adventurer
I currently own a 2008 Tundra. Before that I had a couple of Fords and a Nissan (trucks) and have owned just about every major brand of vehicle in some shape or form--my Tundra has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned despite treating it more like a 3/4 ton.

I don't know why a poster above tied the TRD package to 4:30 gears--those gears are tied to the Tow Package.

I love my Tundra and will keep it until 20 years/200K miles, whichever comes first. At that point, I hope Toyota offers a 3/4-1 ton--cause that is what I will replace it with.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Comparing the ride of a little 1/2 ton to a 1 ton truck, is as unfair as comparing the durability of the 1 ton to the 1/2 ton.

Still, big trucks have thick seats. I feel like a sissy soft lazy fat guy to mention ride quality. But the Raptor and TRD are sooooo smooth down dirt roads.

A few notes:
-The Powerwagon will need air springs added to get the full 3/4 towing and hauling advantage. But, IME, all the big trucks excel with such. So I'd put them on even the more stiffly sprung trucks. Heck, I'll even go so far as to say that all fullsize trucks should have a custom airbag setup.
-The Tundra should be compared to the F150 and Titan. NOT 2500's, and 250's. Do you want little truck feel, or big truck feel?
-Looking at a Powerwagon, Dodge 2500, and Chevy 2500, without driving and rolling under a Ford F250 Superduty is foolish. I think Ford's got them beat this year. Finally, good engines are back at Ford.

IME, I'd be choosing between the heavy duty Dodge and Ford today (our GM 2500's are pure crap):
+robust locker ready drivetrains, especially the manual hub and xfer case Fords.
+room to grow
+insane durable if you aren't towing much
+simple suspension
+no excuses towing and hauling
-big truck feel
-stiff ride without Carli cash
-the Ford is a more robust and expensive Dodge.
-the Dodge is a cheap feeling Ford. (you decide which evil is lesser)
? Has Dodge improved body corrosion protection?

Or, if you're after a little truck
+Tundra is a great looking truck with good break away angles.
+Get the cheapest V8 available in the F150. They're all fine.
+Usually 4 doors with plenty of room
-Don't locker the IFS
-short beds
-Titan is too small, (I'd likely pick the Titan and suffer, assuming I'm not stupid enough to blow every dime i have on a Raptor)
-rental and random trailers are always just a hair too heavy or big.
?Is the Tundra REALLY more reliable than others?

Last edited:

nick325i

Adventurer
Well.....it didn't take me long. I just couldn't turn down a new 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 in the mid $30s. It's a tradesman with just a few extras like a better radio and back-up camera. The PW was tempting but in the end I couldn't justify the extra money for something that primarily be a tow vehicle / DD. I'll save the lockers and winch for the Rovers.

image.jpg

It's a nice blank slate. With a small Carli lift, a slightly meatier tire, some less chrome and maybe a camper shell, I think it will do the the trick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
That was quick. Good choice.

You can add lockers and the offroad stuff as needed. The PW is a bit off, for most of us. The 2.5 Carli's are great. But get one of the better kits, not the basic one.
http://www.carlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/suspension_2014/backcountry20.html

I've been wondering... With Dodge going to coils all the way around. Is adding airsprings going to be as simple as stuffing an airbag inside the coils eventually? That sure would be nice and easy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94