What would you want in the perfect mapping app?

nuclearmonkey

Observer
Might want to consider a cloud based storage option as well. Nice to know that should a device need to be wiped clean, or worse yet, replaced altogether, recorded tracks and other settings can be downloaded again.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Might want to consider a cloud based storage option as well. Nice to know that should a device need to be wiped clean, or worse yet, replaced altogether, recorded tracks and other settings can be downloaded again.

THis is not an issue on any tablet other than apple. Every tablet I own has SD and USB ports for storage.

As for the mapping app, have up to date topo mapping, high res sat imagery and street nav. And make it easy to use. Everything else is not needed.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Off the top of my head...
To the point of no single app "perfect" for everyone. A good basic mapping app that also has available a good variety of plugins that allow people to add features they want. Hooks that allow others to write their own plugins and share them.
An app that doesn't require full access to everything on my phone. A mapping app doesn't need access to my calls, emails, contacts, etc.
If relying on any online data, ability to store POI's and routes offline for when you get to an area with no signal.

I'll give it more thought and add more later.

kojackJKU

antichrist, there are plenty like that all ready. I use mytrails now. easy to download maps. Oh crap. just remembered I never told mine where to dl too. I bet its going on my tablet memory instead of the memeory card. DOH. Another good thing about mytrails is I can super impose sat imagry over my mapping. works great.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
antichrist, there are plenty like that all ready. I use mytrails now. easy to download maps. Oh crap. just remembered I never told mine where to dl too. I bet its going on my tablet memory instead of the memeory card. DOH. Another good thing about mytrails is I can super impose sat imagry over my mapping. works great.
I ahven't really looked in to what's out there, I was just pointing out to the OP some things that, IMO, a good mapping app would have.

I'll have to check out MyTrails. :)
I take it you're using it with the "Pro" license.

kojackJKU

Yeah, I tried it for a bit. and again, it comes back to mapping for Canada. There is none really. I have to use Canada topo. Its the only option for Canada. Still trying to find an app that has everything under one roof. Not happening. I need sat imagery.

texascrane

Adventurer
Has anybody used the new "standalone" Delorme earthmate app? How does it compare to backcountry navigator on android? I don't have any experience with Delorme products so it's not entirely clear to me if the app uses their own maps or USGS quads or lets you import your own etc.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Here's my review on the DeLorme app:
http://trailguy.us/reviews

Short story: It's a good option, especially since the vector maps are small & you can download the entire state. I use it as my backup for now, as other options provide better info w/different map layers. Still waiting on the perfect app though :)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Two things come to mind:
1). I would like to be able to draw a track on the notepad with the stylus, and have the program be able to compare that to the trail, and compute distance, along with distance between way points.
2). Based on topographic data & trip distance, I'd like it to compute approximate time between points, and total time for travel based on mode of travel.

My gut feeling is while #1 wouldn't be too tough, #2 would be very difficult
So while I'm asking for the impossible, I'd like an app that when I load a map of an area, it does a web search and finds great trails with points of interest for download. :)

If any developers want more impossible tasks, I'd be happy to oblige. :beer:

seeNik48

Adventurer
Ditto what Conanche said: Ability to write on pdf maps. Avenza is just about perfect. You mark a placemark with different colored marker pins, add description, photos that you took or saved on the device from the net. You can reference this to plan a trip or do a trip report. What I want is to be able to draw on the map our planned route/options and where we went as we usually deviate from our itinerary. I think Avenza is interested in Apple Pencil/iPad Pro but not sure about other devices. With the split screen on iPad Pro, I would like to have the map open in one screen and web page open in another screen or notes to reference and make more notes. We use Avenza app almost exclusively.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Two things come to mind:
1). I would like to be able to draw a track on the notepad with the stylus, and have the program be able to compare that to the trail, and compute distance, along with distance between way points.
2). Based on topographic data & trip distance, I'd like it to compute approximate time between points, and total time for travel based on mode of travel.

My gut feeling is while #1 wouldn't be too tough, #2 would be very difficult
So while I'm asking for the impossible, I'd like an app that when I load a map of an area, it does a web search and finds great trails with points of interest for download. :)

Those are neat ideas, certainly not impossible, but also not something most mass-market folks would use.

I like the idea of a web search, but what data sources could there be? As I'm sure you know many online sources aren't exactly accurate. I'd hate to point people to illegal or unsafe tracks :/

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Ditto what Conanche said: Ability to write on pdf maps. Avenza is just about perfect. You mark a placemark with different colored marker pins, add description, photos that you took or saved on the device from the net. You can reference this to plan a trip or do a trip report. What I want is to be able to draw on the map our planned route/options and where we went as we usually deviate from our itinerary. I think Avenza is interested in Apple Pencil/iPad Pro but not sure about other devices. With the split screen on iPad Pro, I would like to have the map open in one screen and web page open in another screen or notes to reference and make more notes. We use Avenza app almost exclusively.

I'm getting the feeling everyone is wanting to use their tablet/phone for planning AND navigation instead of just one or the other. So far I haven't found amazing planning tools online, but I wonder if that would be a useful thing to look for.

seeNik48

Adventurer
I haven't really found any route planning for off road exploration for mobile devices. Most are geared toward those with a set itinerary who use planes, motels, restaurants. Nope, not us. We like to wander around off road and have a loose itinerary for POIs but the ability to change our route when we want. I have an iPad Pro/Apple Pencil (illustrator so having fun with it and acts as a portable studio). But, I know it can be so much more. AVENZA said they would look into enabling an iPad Pro/Apple Pencil. We also boondock so like to use the PDF maps as a reminder if we are traveling through the same area. One can dream, I suppose. So yeah, planning and navigation.

I tried a screen shot of a pdf map, saved as a PDF, wrote on it in a note app like Noteshelf or Notability, reimported it into PDF maps but gps was disabled so the planning works pre trip but not during.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Here we go everyone....the iPad/iPhone app from Hema Maps for North America is out (Android coming VERY soon):

http://hema.li/appna

From the iTunes store:
Plan, navigate and share your next 4x4 or overland adventure through the United States and Canada with Hema Explorer:

• Track your GPS position in real-time on offline maps
• Use trusted topographic mapping to explore North America backcountry: USGS Topo, Thunderforest Outdoors and Canada Topo
• Use additional street and touring maps for navigating populated areas: Hema USA Road Map, HERE Street and Canada Street mapping
• Generate an offline route to an address or waypoint using Quick Routing
• Save a log of your trip with track recordings, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes
• Backup all your trip data to your free Hema Explorer Cloud account which you can share with the Hema Explorer community
• Share your trips online with friends and family

More info coming this week during Overland Expo WEST =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles