Are montero's slow?

Howah

Observer
My 3.5 dohc has decent power around town. Lack/hesitation of acceleration may be due to plugs or incorrect timing. I would check them plugs and timing with my own eyes tho.

KyleT

Explorer
So is there an easy way to check the timing without taking the whole front end apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEG

Adventurer
There is a removable inspection cover on the passenger side upper timing cover that exposes the cam gear and timing mark. The crank pulley also has a mark that aligns with the timing case marks. This is a quick and dirty way of verifying timing but if the belt hasn't been done in a while a skipped tooth might not be as obvious. Bent or broken roll pins on the crank timing gear can lead to issues that can't always be seen without removing the timing covers, at which point you might as well replace the belt.

freewayross

Adventurer
Yep they are slow, I test drove one 2 weeks back and felt the same. But then it's relative and depends on what you are used to driving, I drive an e46 M3. These are old cars and were built for different purposes. You should checkout a Suzuki Samurai, and feel the slowness!

These days there is little excuse. A motor can be built to have to plenty of power and still meet fuel standards. Heck Ford is building motors that breath fire and get good gas mileage. I have decided I wont ever buy an underpowered vehicle again. My former Xterra and my current Titan are appropriately powered(although the Xterra has the wrong diff gears) and the difference it makes on just not getting tired on a long drive, or wanting for more power off-road is amazing. Driving cross country in a Montero is a high engine revving constant battle on hills. You except it and prepare for an exhausting drive for your trail rig. But for a daily driver I wont do it again, and apparently Mitsubishi thinks plenty of folks still want class following power.

KyleT

Explorer
So since junkyard motors are pretty cheap around here, what vehicles should i look at for a swappable 3.8? I would love to go diesel but if it is even slower.....

earljuic3

Adventurer
I'm definitely not the resident motor swap expert but I think the 3.8L isn't swappable into a 2.5 gen without spending some serious cash.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
These days there is little excuse. A motor can be built to have to plenty of power and still meet fuel standards. Heck Ford is building motors that breath fire and get good gas mileage. I have decided I wont ever buy an underpowered vehicle again. My former Xterra and my current Titan are appropriately powered(although the Xterra has the wrong diff gears) and the difference it makes on just not getting tired on a long drive, or wanting for more power off-road is amazing. Driving cross country in a Montero is a high engine revving constant battle on hills. You except it and prepare for an exhausting drive for your trail rig. But for a daily driver I wont do it again, and apparently Mitsubishi thinks plenty of folks still want class following power.

Remember that Montero's are world vehicles. An Xterra is not a world vehicle. In other countries, gasoline can be very very expensive compared to what we pay. Fuel economy is important. Speed is not. Remember also that the decision to market and sell the 3rd gen Montero to the U.S. was made 15+ years ago, and since 2005/2006, Mitsubishi has made the decision every year NOT to market and sell the newer Montero to the U.S. They recognize that most of our SUV-buying demographic doesn't want what they are selling. But... the rest of the WORLD does. That's why we are stuck with BS vehicles like crossovers and Titan's that get 14mpg, and everyone else gets true heavy duty off road solid axle diesel Patrol's, Landcruiser's, GWagen's etc.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

Older Japanese vehicles do not cruise the interstate at 1.5k rpm like the domestics. Yes in 2015 trucks are getting better fuel economy and have lots of power but they do that with aerodynamic improvements (have you seen the airdams/chin spoilers on new domestics? ridiculous ground clearance), many speed transmissions (6,7,8,9), fancy programming, lighter weight materials, etc etc. The 2000ish montero is getting to be a pretty old design/vehicle. By the time you do a motor swap and everything else you might as well buy something else.

KyleT

Explorer
Still isn't going to be the motor you want

Why is that?

Guys are making 275hp with the 6g75 naturally aspirated.

I still kinda think there is something wrong with my motor. My beat Land Rover discovery with 187hp new is much quicker slower speeds even on big tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior