Gen 3 - Replacing OEM speakers

plh

Explorer
I have a replacement sub.... sitting on my work bench. Need to get that installed. Thanks for the reminder.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I have replaced my sub but thats the only speaker ive done so far. Check out my thread I think I have pics of the install.

Buy these before you start it will make replacing your speakers plug and play.
Metra 72-9301 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota/Mitsubishi Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BEUZS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_SjNxvb17JQKBY

Thank you, I will check that out.

Did you replace yours with an aftermarket sub?

Also, have you tried those speaker connectors? Reasonable quality?

jhill15

Explorer
Thank you, I will check that out.

Did you replace yours with an aftermarket sub?

Also, have you tried those speaker connectors? Reasonable quality?
Yeah I replaced it the factory sub with a plye sub...not the best but it sounds decent. I also used the speaker connecters from the link I posted, they are well made.

plh

Explorer
Polk Audio db840 8-Inch Single Voice Coil Subwoofer. $50 shipped at Amazon with Prime

jhill15

Explorer
Polk Audio db840 8-Inch Single Voice Coil Subwoofer. $50 shipped at Amazon with Prime
Very nice! I wish I would've spent a little more and got something like that. I know I will have to replace the pyle in the future so that polk sub will probably be the one I get.

cnutco

Adventurer
I didn't do it, but I had my factory sub replaced with a Rockford Fosgate P3S 8" shallow mount subwoofer. Been thinking about replacing the other speakers and amp too, but so far it sounds fine.

I will save my $$$ for lockers and other mods first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earljuic3

Adventurer
The Polk mentioned above is what I have as well, install is pretty easy took me about 45 mins. However, the factory amp leaves quite a bit to be desired. You can tell the speaker needs more juice to hit how it should.

MrInternational

Not to revive this thread from the dead but I recently replaced my front and rear door speakers and tweeters along with my deck and there was quite a noticeable difference, especially in the mid's and high's then before. I replaced them with Kicker 6.5" 40CS654's and Kicker 3/4" dome 41CST204's. I ordered the speakers all through Crutchfield due to price and all the speaker installation wires and brackets you need are thrown into it.

Next stop is my sub which I plan to replace with the 8" Polk db840 everyone has recommended. Now my only issue is what to replace the amp with if anything at all. But I will post that in another thread to get everyone's opinions.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Factory sub? Where is this?

Also: in the Miata-with-Bose world, i was able to find a connector and module to allow me to use an aftermarket headunit with stock amps and speakers. I would like to do the same with the Montero. Anyone have a part number?

MrInternational

Factory sub? Where is this?

Also: in the Miata-with-Bose world, i was able to find a connector and module to allow me to use an aftermarket headunit with stock amps and speakers. I would like to do the same with the Montero. Anyone have a part number?

If you have the upgraded Infiniti sound system, the sub will be found in the Left Rear cargo area behind the panel. (For the Gen 3 Montero) And the part number is Metra 70-7003 to connect an aftermarket headunit to the existing Infiniti system.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
How tough/easy are the panels to remove? Are they just held on by the little plastic clips that collapse and break after a while? Or are they screwed on somehow?

MrInternational

How tough/easy are the panels to remove? Are they just held on by the little plastic clips that collapse and break after a while? Or are they screwed on somehow?

For the rear sub, according to the other forums, it's fairly easy to remove them but time consuming as you need to remove the 3rd row seats and be careful about the clips. I haven't had the chance to tackle this yet due to if I am going to replace the amp this go around or not.

With regards to the door speakers, it's fairly straight forward with just clips and screws to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz