difference between fe and fg 4m50

boostin

Adventurer
Just wondering where the power difference comes from between the fe and fg engines in say a 2006?

Ecu?

Turbo or boost?

Injector flow?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It's all in the ECU which will control things like the turbo boost and injector flow, amongst other things.
Problem is that the ECU can be coded to only work on a specific model, so putting an ECU out of an FE into a FG may not work, unless you can get some assistance from someone with a genuine MUT-III reprogramming tool.
I looked into this a while back when researching options for additional power in my truck. In the end I put doing an ECU swap into the too hard basket, choosing to go with a Steinbauer power chip instead.
Would be very interested in knowing the outcome if anyone is willing to attempt an ECU swap.

boostin

Adventurer
I did not realize these where that advanced...I think back to my old mitsu 4g63 car days where you just plug in what ever ecu lol.

Must be the Bosch part that makes it more complicated.

That would be a easy hp increase if it was easy..I own a fe for work and drove a few fgs for work thinking the 4wd would be nice but they feel like a total dog compared to the fe..I was unsure I could do near the speed limit with a load on.

Still want a fg but needs more power.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Just wondering where the power difference comes from between the fe and fg engines in say a 2006?

Ecu?

Turbo or boost?

Injector flow?

I don't know but I suspect some of the reasoning may be programming to accommodate the manual transmission in the FG.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I was unsure I could do near the speed limit with a load on.

The gearing on the FG is a major part here. As per the doco... top speed on my FG84 is only 102 km/h (63 mph).
36" singles go a long way to making the highway driving not so painful, but the standard power output is definitely less than desirable.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My FG84 has a 5 speed and a diff ratio of 5.285:1

Gear Ratios:
- 1st: 5.175
- 2nd: 2.913
- 3rd: 1.682
- 4th: 1.000
- 5th: 0.715
- Rev. 5.175

High Range: 1.090
Low Range: 1.987