2006 Mega-Purpose Rig

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
I am in the Army stationed in North Carolina and hit 20 years this past February and going strong still. I have been on the forum for a couple years doing as much reading as I am planning my expedition build. I was originally going to build my 2000 WJ, however I decided to change direction. I been looking at the Dodge ram and I am a member on Dodge Truck Xtreme. I have seen the potential of the Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 SRW and decided to go that route. I am a scuba diver and on the county public safety dive team and an EMT and the extra cargo room is great for all my equipment is great. We have 2 kids do a lot as a family, road trips, camping, and fishing, etc. So I wanted something with more room for the kids and cargo space as well.

I got my 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab in February from Northern Alberta Canada and after talking to the wife the build sort of changed again from an exploration build. After reading threads going back a couple years in this forum and seeing the incredible rigs y'all have or are build has inspired me to do my build. I am building the truck to be able to do 45-50+ MPH down any bumpy dirt/fire road I am on, to crawling over rocky trails like you find in Moab UT, Uwharrie NC.

Here is my truck's current info and future mods and pictures.

Truck Information
Model:
2006 Ram 3500 Mega Cab SLT

Engine:
Stock 5.9L
ATS Sub-Zero Inner Cooler

Transmission:
48RE Goerend Billet Race Transmission

Body/Exterior:
Stock
De-badged

Suspension:
Carli 3 Inch Pin-Top 2.5 with
Carli Full leafs
08.5+ Steering Upgrade
Thuren Track Bar
Synergy Steering Brace

Brakes:
EBC Dimpled and Slotted Rotors
EDC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads on all four corners

Exhaust:
4" MBRP TBE with Muffler

Wheels/Tires:
Stock Wheels
35x12.5x17 Fuel Mud Gripper M/Ts

Exterior:
Color match fender flares (Will be deleted soon)
Fusion Front and Rear Bumpers

Interior:
Stock

Electrical/Lighting:
2 Light Force 140 Off Road lights
2 Light Force 170 Off Road lights

Sound system:
Kenwood DDX 616
2 amps
2 10" subs

Accessories/Options:
Amp-Research Power Steps

Performance:
Edge CTS Evolution
• EAS EGT Probe with Starter Kit
• EAS Pressure Sensor 0-100 PSIg 1/8IN NPT
• EAS Universal Sensor Input (5 Volt)

Future Suspension Modifications:
Synergy Long Arm Upgrade Kit
Synergy Heavy Duty Steering Kit
Carli Dodge Ram 2500/3500 3 Inch Leaf Packs
Boogie Front Bumps with Clamps
Boogie Rear Bump Stops With Brackets
Stainless Steel Brake Line Kit
Limit Straps
Solid Differential Cover
Yukon Locker for Chrysler 11.5" 30 spline axles
Yukon Chromoly 30 spline axles
9.25 AAM Front 4.56 Gears
11.5 AAM Rear 4.56 Gears
Fiberwerx Fenders
Fiberwerx Bed Sides
Trail Ready Bead Locks
Pitbull Muddog 38.5x13.5x17 Load E Tires

Viair Dual 400C OBA

Future Performance Modifications:
ARP 425 Head Studs
FASS Titanium 150 GPH
FASS Sump Kit w/o Bulk Head Fitting
EFI Live Autocal Tuner (Possible Future Mods, Circumstance Depending)
Smeding Diesel 62mm Cummins, Quick Spool Direct Drop-in Turbo (Possible Future Mods, Circumstance Depending)
• Compressor: 62 mm inducer / 83.5mm exducer, with exclusive Extended Tip Technology.
• Turbine: 76.2 mm inducer / 68 mm exducer. Cast in Inconel 713 for high-temperature operation

20150502_174408_zpselngiyg8.jpg

20150502_173251_zpsgavxvcev.jpg

Added an Edge CST Evolution for gauges and a little extra power till I get my EFILive.

20150213_150555_zpskaa3yjj3.jpg

I was having some engine temperature issues and I found out my radiator was a little dirty.

20150304_204612_zpsxfcadwdg.jpg

So I got a couple cans of Gunk Gel and sprayed it down then took the pressure washer to it. I was careful not to bend any of the fins.

20150328_134339_zps8jxgxgos.jpg

Added a Synergy steering brace and Thuren track bar.

20150423_195141_zpsmjfgt1vg.jpg

Was taking some measurements for my on board air system and I found this. New spring will be ordered in the next few months.

20150509_102055_zpsjzsugyzx.jpg

Have some wiring issues that the previous left me with.

20150215_110716_zpsgq2r4php.jpg

Already have a ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover to put in the truck.

5026_360.jpg

I will update this post and add pictures as my build continues.

RedF

Adventurer
Nice truck. Where in Alberta did you pick it up? Most of Northern Alberta is oil country, so that truck could have seen some hard use, as indicated by the broken leaf spring.

Looks like you have a leak on the front diff.

I'd be tempted to keep the fender flares myself, as they will help keep the mud/dirt from flying up. That is unless they really interfere with your suspension/tire plans.

Seabass

Idiot
First off- God Bless you for your service. I'm a super mega big supporter of our armed services. Second- I'm lovin on your rig! You got a fine platform to run with there. Lookin forward to watching your progress!!

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
RedF it came from Fort McMurray and it was his wife's truck and it barely saw any off road use however, the winters were not kind to the suspension that's for sure. I contacted Carli and that was a bad run of springs they had a while back, I have to send them the old springs so I can get my new ones. Problem is I am leaving for another deployment next month so it will have to wait till I get back. The reason the fender flares are going is because of the rust that is there, plus I will be going glass fenders and bedsides to make room for the tires I will be running with the 3 inch Carli lift.

Seabass thank you for the support of the military and my build.

Colorado_Outback unfortunately the build will be put on hold till I get back. There will be a large pile of parts waiting for me when I get back. Here is the to do list for the truck when I return in December.

Dynatrac HD Ball Joints (CR92-2X3050-A)
Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly (PN- SKF BR930507)
Front Axle U-Joints (Spicer 5006813 U Joint)
Carli Low Mount Stabilizer
Carli Limit Straps
Solid Differential Cover
Front Axle Truss (1.5 Inch OD DOM, .388 Inch Wall, 3/8 inch plate C Gussets)

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
So I made some phone calls yesterday and I am going to go with Atlas Expedition packs they still have flexibility, and load carrying capacity all in one. Essentially two springs in one, they designed this style of leaf spring as a progressive two stage pack. All the great and innovative features of an off road Progressive Pack are included with this design, but an additional load carrying 2nd stage that helps for towing and hauling. I will let you all know how they work when I get them.

Observer
Looks great. I work just north of Fort Mcmurray. The truck looks kind of familiar, but theres a ton of them around.

Stay safe. I'll be following this one.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Looks great. I work just north of Fort Mcmurray. The truck looks kind of familiar, but theres a ton of them around.

Stay safe. I'll be following this one.

The guy I bought it from works up there in sand oil, Fraser is his name. Great guy and I still stay in contact with him to show him the progression of the truck.

Observer
Awesome. I'm a HD mechanic at an oilsand mine as well. But there's tens of thousands of people working in the mines up here. Just looked familiar to me for some reason.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
After doing some measuring I cannot do the picture I posted above for my bed cage, it will put the shocks on the back side of the axle. So I am thinking about a bed cage with a removable tire carrier that mounts to the bed cage.

Here is one of the ideas for a bed cage.

Untitled%203_zpsiremdpjh.jpg

Here is the idea for the tire carrier to mount between the bars of the bed cage.

IMG_1752_zpsnzsyh1e7.jpg

I am up in the air between a 37" or 38.5" tire, I have some time to figure it out while I am deployed overseas.

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Im building pretty much the same tire rack right now- not doing a full bed cage though. I had a ton of tire carrier ideas, but came to the conclusion that something like this is the best route. Being removable is key for me, as I need the bed frequently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94