Custom underbody boxes material

biggoolies

Adventurer
Hi I am looking into building custom boxes for under my truck as there are alot of nooks and crannies that the box has to be built around. What material is best to make the boxes and is there any information online on how to build them. I am looking at some gel coated FRP panel or fiberglass on the outside. What can the actual box be made of? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 001 1.30.15.jpg
    001 1.30.15.jpg
    569.1 KB · Views: 43

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I guess that the first question I would ask is what is going to be carried in these boxes?
That would help determine what they could be made from to carry a specific weight.

westyss

Explorer
I would say that the best box will be a steel one, from having a mixed bag of boxes ie. cheap aluminum, expensive aluminum and a steel box I find that the steel one is the most solid, strongest and can take the most punishment. My aluminum boxes are not as rigid and feel a little wobbly. The wobbly part will affect the seal of the door.
I do like the light weight ally boxes though, so that is a plus, just not sure if it is worth it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
If you get steel, I highly recommend specifying stainless steel hinges.

My boxes were all (custom) made by Fleet Metal Box in California. I had to get two of the boxes replaced and the price wasn't overly offensive. :)

IGBT

Observer
I had aluminum boxes made by a place in Washington called ProTech. Material was 0.1" aluminum, smooth with diamond plate doors, stainless hardware. Good prices, I could barely buy the aluminum and hinges for what they charge.

truckboxes1.jpg

truckboxes2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior