Potential First Monty Candidate - 1990 Montero LS

kerntx

Hi Guys....long time reader and lurker!

Just spotted this on the Dallas, TX Craigslist and reached out to the guy.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5034910181.html

Early Details:

• $4,500
  • Original Engine/Trans
  • No Major repairs
  • No Wrecks
  • Broken Glass (3 windows)
  • Small Oil Leak
  • 4x4 smooth transfer
  • Current Tags/Inspection

What is a realistic estimate on making this into a DD along with some very light overland stuff in TX/OK/AR. Have a family of 4 that haven't done too much camping (except for me and my oldest). I have an 89 Bronco that I am transitioning out of for my oldest son to start with, and I am tired of my Lexus. My daily commute is less than 5 miles round trip.

I think the price is high, but he seems willing to negotiate. Give me some honest opinions on the very light information I have provided and I would be extremely appreciative!

Thanks,
K.

jhill15

Explorer
I would say he is about $3500 to high! The year of the vehicle doesn't really matter its the fact that it has 270k on the clock and he is asking $4500. If he wouldn't take $1000 cash i'd pass.

Eric M

Adventurer
I might even go lower than 1k considering the broken glass. I've seen much better 1Gs around, you just gotta be patient.

jhill15

Explorer
Yup i've seen that one on here before. Can't remember who it belongs too. But I would buy it especially with only 141k. It's already outfitted for expo and has the added rear locker, snorkel, rack, good tires. I don't think you could go wrong, although i'm wondering why a sweet rig like that hasn't sold already. It would be worth looking into for $4500.

kerntx

Crush washer on the oil radiator is leaking on it and looks to need a ball joint replacement possibly. Haven't been able to look at it, but he sent me some pics.

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

KyleT

Explorer
I think I have seen that first gen for sale before and the guy had a pretty higher than thou attitude about its value.

Edit I ended up finding mine off of craigslist because people were being so unrealistic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
I also found this one on Craigslist this morning, same year, but way low miles (87,358) and one owner. I know it's not equipped like the other one, but looks clean.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5039493841.html

Decisions....decisions....:Wow1:
I believe if I had to choose this one would be the one I got...granted if its mechanically sound. One owner doesn't mean much if its been neglected by that owner. All those extras on the othe other...in my opinion doesn't out way the low miles that this one has. You can always buy a sweet rack etc...but you can't buy miles back. I would check to see if the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and pulley have been done at the 60k service and make sure he has the service records for it. At the price he has it at vs. The price of the outfitted montero you could have the timing belt done for piece of mind and still be under the $4500 of the other rig. Plus you also get the rear locker in this one, and I bet it has jump seat in the back. The other one looked as if the 3rd row seats had been pulled.

Edit: looked at the pics again, it definitely has the 3rd row seats. Man I wish I lived in Texas I would nab that sucka up!!!

For that price and those miles, thats one sweet rig!!!

1morebike

Adventurer
I bought my 1990 with 280,000 ish miles a new motor 80,000 miles ago for$1600 and thought I paid to much but it was the model I wanted. I have spent near $5000 to get it into decent shape with a lot more to go. Don't do it for more then $1000 replacing the Windows alone is going to suck

kerntx

Thanks for the info @onemorebike and @jhill. I think I'm going to pass on that one as they haven't even replied back to my latest requests.

Have it down to the 2 95's. The built one and the low miles low cost one.

Will keep updates coming!

jhill15

Explorer
Thanks for the info @onemorebike and @jhill. I think I'm going to pass on that one as they haven't even replied back to my latest requests.

Have it down to the 2 95's. The built one and the low miles low cost one.

Will keep updates coming!
I hope the low mile low cost one works out, from the pics it looks nice.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz