Four Corners Tour

axels

Adventurer
Hey all,

As of the 31st of May, a friend and I will be taking a trip from Albuquerque to Ouray/Telluride -Denver - Moab - Grand Canyon and back to ABQ. Only one vehicle, no winch.

I scheduled this a while back as my wife and I are moving to NYC, on July 1st, for at least a year and I really want a chance to see these places one more time.

Ouray will be a first for me and we will be there from the 31st of May through June 4th
Denver for a night or two.
I've been to Moab and hope to do a few of the more mythical trails this time. We will be there from the 5th or 6th of June until the 11th.
Grand Canyon, one night, mainly sightseeing.

If you guys have any recommendations, please give them now.
Also if some of you are in these areas, let's link up for a trail or two.

Thank you

bri

Adventurer
Depending on route, you might be able to go skiing. Arapaho Basin has had 8 ft in the past 4 weeks. Without knowing your route and vehicle, it is hard to make suggestions.

Camping, hotels?

Some high altitude paved roads have not been open and many dirt roads are likely closed or impassable to many.

Plenty of food and water and I would likely take sleeping bags, tent, fire starter, the basic for living if all goes wrong.

Unless the rain and snow stops real quick, the situation is unlikely to change much. If it does change quickly then there will be a ton of water/muck.

Looks like telluride and Ouray have not had the same snow dump as summit county so it could be better conditions. Nonetheless, there will either be a lot of snow or a lot of water.

There are a tone of trails to walk or drive on. The best in CO. Engineers pass, yankee boy poughkipsie gultch, Imogene. Don't know your capabilities, but most anyone can do engineers and yankee boy unless they are washed out.

axels

Adventurer
Good points.
Vehicle is LR4 with DuraTrac and Gaptool for increased clearance.
We will be staying in Ouray (lodge) and Moab (lodge or something with a roof).

LR Max

Local Oaf
You'll be fine. When I went, I found the trails in Colorado to have excellent traction. Also for a lot of it, a winch is useless since you are above the treeline. There were a few trails that would be to difficult but these are well labeled as such. I actually think a hi-lift with wheel adapter would be the only thing you'd really need (oh and a piece of pipe insulation on the jack in case it bumps against the vehicle).

If it makes you feel better, I did a ton of trails around Ouray in a stock 2014 Jeep Cherokee. With the 4 cylinder...We never had any problems. Traction control only kicked in a few times. It was pretty cool following around all the guys with JKs on 35s and crap. When I was out there, I saw a bunch of crew cab 1/2 ton off road models or 3/4 ton American trucks running around. Oh and the local "ranger" (I think its just a retired guy just driving around...btw I want that job) patrols the alpine loop in like, a stock 98 Jeep Cherokee with ATs. Then again we went the first week of August.

A LR4 in off road raised air suspension mode will have no problems. However having a good spotter in the passenger seat AND willingly ask said spotter for help is also very good to have.

The only thing I'll say is try to cook your own meals rather than rely on local restaurants. I thought the food at most small places in the area to be pretty bland and overpriced. We stopped at a Safeway and got all we needed. This saved us time and money. Not to mention we ate like kings.

Seemed like fuel in Lake City and Silverton was cheaper than in Ouray and Telluride. Just a little FYI. I found that we would go through half a tank per day. We didn't carry extra fuel but if we were in a town and at half a tank or less, we gassed up. Cheap insurance.

Denver is legit.

I cannot comment on Moab.

axels

Adventurer
Thank you LR Max. I'm pretty certain the LR4 will do well. I've taken it on pretty rough stuff and it holds up well.

If things go wrong I'm expecting to get some help from the people we will be blocking ;)

Good point about the food. We've had pretty bad weather down here so I'm expecting some snow but hopefully nothing too bad.

Last edited:

bri

Adventurer
No doubt it will do well, but that area will be getting thunderstorms and that changes everything.

When these areas get wet, there is not good traction. In many of these places there will be water crossings and right now they could be nasty.

Just preparing you for the worse, because where I am at in CO, I would not even consider doing a tougher trail. Spring Creek must be a helluva mess.

There is still snow falling above 7000 ft and dumping at 8500-9000.

From May 1 report and also the link has a number to call. You still have another weeks or more so things could improve.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...il&pname=San Juan National Forest- Recreation

Animas Forks - OPEN
Black Bear Pass - Closed
Bolam Pass - Closed
California - Closed
Clear Lake - Closed
Cinnamon Pass - OPEN to top on Silverton side
Corkscrew Pass - Closed
County Road 110 - OPEN to Gladstone
County Road 2 - OPEN
Cunningham Gulch - OPEN to Old Hundred

Engineer Pass - Closed
Hurricane Pass - Closed
Imogene Pass - Closed
Kennebec Pass - Closed near the top
La Plata Canyon - OPEN to Tomahawk
Lobo Overlook - Closed

Maggie Gulch - Closed
Mineral Point - Closed
Minnehaha - Closed
Minnie Gulch - Closed
Ophir Pass - OPEN to top on Silverton side
Owl Creek Pass- Closed

Picayune - Closed
Placer - Closed
Poughkeepsie – Closed
Roaring Fork - OPEN to snow
Scotch Creek - OPEN to snow
South Mineral Road - OPEN to campground
Stony Pass - Closed
Treasure Mountain Loop - Closed
Yankee Boy Basin - Closed

bri

Adventurer
You'll be fine. When I went, I found the trails in Colorado to have excellent traction. Also for a lot of it, a winch is useless since you are above the treeline. There were a few trails that would be to difficult but these are well labeled as such. I actually think a hi-lift with wheel adapter would be the only thing you'd really need (oh and a piece of pipe insulation on the jack in case it bumps against the vehicle). <snip>.

Just guessing you did not go at the end of May on a year where we have had the most moisture in May for a very long time. It has not stopped raining or snowing for weeks now.

Snow and wet will make those "high traction" places impassible to an LR4 withoug an aweful lot of undercarriage thrashing momentum.

I did not call the San Juans to see for sure, but from the news and what has been happening the past couple of weeks, I would guess you'd be very lucky to get many trails open are above tree line.

They have not even opened the most popular paved roads yet. Mount Evans and Trail Ridge will not be open for this weekend and they really try to make those two roads happen. San Juans could be much different, but I think that they have had a rather good dump of recent snow as well. And... I was not kidding that certain places have had 7-8' of snow in the past month.

axels

Adventurer
Bri, we will most likely stay downtown. Any recommendations? It's all booking up really fast. Stayed at the Renaissance last time.
I think my wife and I walked by Highland Tavern beginning of April. It was packed.

Last edited:

axels

Adventurer
I'm starting to wonder if we'd be better off flipping the itinerary around. Start with Moab then Denver and then Ouray...
The tires will do fine and we can go slow but according to your report, bri, it seems as if most trails we planned on doing will still be closed in a week and half time... Mpinco you're making mention of record years for precipitations...
When it comes down to time frame we only really have these few days to accomplish this trip.
What about white water rafting around Denver? Is it the right period of the year?
All your input is much appreciated, thank you.

bri

Adventurer
You have the correct thoughts!

White water is usually best later, but it is a crazy year. If you are up for it, I bet it is good.

Mpinco is not kidding, it could be crazy, but call the locals in the san juans, I gave the link and talking to them will confirm.

Itinerary change would be great if the weather starts to warm Ouray could be much better (again, call them).

Its a long haul and if you can skip Denver and do G.C., Moab, San Juans that would be great.

There is a pile to see in there including Monument Valley and Mesa Verde.

What is your route now? Denver seems to be out of the way unless you start or end there.

bri

Adventurer
Renaissance and the Marriott court yard are the best deals near downtown. Nice hotels and have stayed at both. Some across the river are good too. I've stay at a H.I. Express across the river that is OK too. If you wish to spring, go for the Brown Palace.

bri

Adventurer
I'm starting to wonder if we'd be better off flipping the itinerary around. Start with Moab then Denver and then Ouray...
The tires will do fine and we can go slow but according to your report, bri, it seems as if most trails we planned on doing will still be closed in a week and half time... Mpinco you're making mention of record years for precipitations...
When it comes down to time frame we only really have these few days to accomplish this trip.
What about white water rafting around Denver? Is it the right period of the year?
All your input is much appreciated, thank you.

Alb-->Denver-->Moab-->Ouray-->Alb or reverse. Its a circle, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz