Well, I broke it... again

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Probably cheaper to replace than a windshield...sigh. I need to drill mine out to prevent a traveler crack from a rock ding, on the way out to OE.

Front windshields are in the $250-275 range. This will probably be double that, because the whole assembly gets replaced not just the glass.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Dude, I turn my back and you break it again!

N.B. We were opposite you, at the Cathedral Valley campground at the north end of Capitol Reef. (The Temples of the Sun and Moon are still there.)

pugslyyy

Apparently there is some rule I wasn't aware of about us not being able to roll into Grand Junction without all our glass intact. Last time we caught a huge rock off a dump truck that went almost all the way through - broke both the inner and outer glass but the plastic 'caught' it. Fortunately we were wearing sunglasses when that happened because glass went all over us and the inside of the cab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

So just to update the story we completed our 7000 mile circuit and made it back to North Carolina without issue. I need to replace the window I busted out, but other than that the truck performed really well, and we are very happy with how the frame replacement project has worked out.

Unlike last year when we limped back into town with the truck basically broken in half, we could leave tomorrow on another trip without issue or concern.

Hope to see a bunch of you at Expo East in the fall, or hit me up for a place to stay if you are in my neck of the woods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Bravo Zulu!

And just to be a copy cat, we took a stone in the windscreen. (@##!!) At least it will be less expensive than a frame.

pugslyyy

Bravo Zulu!

And just to be a copy cat, we took a stone in the windscreen. (@##!!) At least it will be less expensive than a frame.

We made it back with the windshield intact this time. Apparently glass has to be sacrificed every trip though, the gods must be appeased.

pugslyyy

12082715_10102897206117629_935899362_o.jpg

Today was finally the day to install the new windows. It took a while to get them made in Canada, imported, and then have a local shop put the security film on.

Once we got them, install was a snap. I'm glad I ordered windows from the OEM, they new exactly what I needed (tint, frame color, corner radius, thickness, etc) so I'm glad to have this project finally done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94