Tentrax & ARB RTT Questions

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Hi, first post here, long time reader....

My neighbor has a 2012 Tentrax trailer for sale for $2,250. Major options are the the 6" lift with 33" tires, front rack, upgraded 1,400lb axle, and the Tentrax padded lid rack. It doesn't have the tent.

Does anyone have any thoughts on putting an ARB Simpson III on this trailer?
My concerns:
1) Is the lid strong enough for the tent and 400 lbs of humanity on top?
2) Will the trailer accommodate the ARB opening to the side without toppling?
3)Will the trailer be too wobbly when in the tent? Has anyone welded stabilizing jacks on a Tentrax or have an idea to stabilize it?

Thanks guys!
Trvlngnrs

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

indiedog

Adventurer
Not sure how strong the lid is (website says it's reinforced with 1/4" ply and has raised ribs) but may be worth contacting the makers to see what loads can be placed on it. I'd say you would need to keep the securing bolts close to the edges to transfer the loads more directly to the sides of the roof and down to the main box. If it needs stiffening could you make an internal frame?

I just put a Simpson 3 on a 5 x 4 (LxW) trailer and added stabilisers to the rear, you would absolutely IMO have to do this. Toppling should not be an issue as the ladder would transfer the load directly to the ground.

indiedog

Adventurer
Did you get your stabilizing jacks at an RV store?

Trvlngnrs

No, I made mine out of square tubing. Double telescoping. But I'd designed that in when I first made it. If you can fit off the shelf stabilisers under the frame then that will be the easiest route. The Tentrax has heaps of departure angle so some stabilisers hanging down a bit at the back won't be a problem.

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Hi, just to follow up....

I spoke to the builder and explained my plan of adding 3/4" plywood to the interior cargo dividers and adding 3/4" plywood to the underside of the lid. The plywood attached to the cargo dividers becomes two bearing walls supporting the lid. He thought it would be fine.

He also said the lid is designed to hold 150lb. My thoughts are if it can handle 150lbs of dynamic load, it can handle much more static load.

Here's the results:

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Box Rocket, I hope to be calling you soon to order the tent!

When I mount the tent (planning on opening towards the front of trailer) can I place the mounting rails on the reinforced ridges that are built into the lid or do they only go one direction? The lid is 48" front to back and 58" side to side.

Thanks,
Trvlngnrs

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

indiedog

Adventurer
Looking good. ;) For your RTT rails I'd run them side to side, that way you know the load is getting to your newly added support walls which run front to back. If you run the rails front to back also (and they don't line up with the support walls) you rely totally on the lid to transfer the load to the support walls etc.

Edit; I suppose I should clarify, the mounting rails you speak of, are they roof bars or do you mean the tracks you fix to the underside of the tent floor? I've assumed you mean the tracks fixed to the u/side of the tent floor.

Trvlngnrs

Observer
Yep indiedog, I was referring to the rails that come with the tent, and bolting them thru the lid and the plywood under it. I agree having them go side to side.

I appreciate everyone's help! I don't have the luxury of looking at a RTT tent in person. The town I live in doesn't have any stores that carry them :-(

Trvlngnrs

indiedog

Adventurer
Okay. Just be sure you can fix them without using roof bars. On my Simpson the alloy track is bolted to the RTT floor. You then slip mounting plates into a groove on the bottom of that track and these plates have bolts through them and you typically need two of those per fixing point which go either side of your roof bars and then you have a flat plate to bolt through under the roof bars. (Confusing I know and I'll see if I can take a pic of mine to clarify). You should still be able to do it but you'll just have to line up the bolts with the holes in the roof and make sure they don't slide. The tent is around 65kg (150lb) so could be a fun exercise.

Not sure if the Tepui tents use a different system so may be necessary to ignore all of that. ;) And hey, we have ARB state head office locally and even they don't have all the stuff set up there either! Makes it challenging when you are trying to work out how to do things.

Last edited:

epemdoc

I own a Tentrax trailer and have been looking for stabilizers. Did you end up installing this stabilizer on your Tentrax? If so, what are your initial impressions?

Thanks!

epemdoc

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Too bad you guys haven't looked in the RTT/Trailer section--

005_zps8bb56bb6.jpg

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20037_zpsfhubmd7o.jpg

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20033%20-%20Copy_zpseu8do6z6.jpg

maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20031_zpstafohhkw.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics