Ecocapsule

haven

Expedition Leader
Ecocapsule is a Slovakian company that is developing a portable micro-home. It's sort of a modern take on the Boler or teardrop style trailers.

ecocapsule.jpg

ecocapsule interior.jpg

The manufacturer sees the Ecocapsule as a movable vacation home, research station, tourist lodge, even a shelter for humanitarian action.

Dimensions

Dimensions: (L x W x H) 4.45 × 2.25 x 2.55 m / 175 x 88 x 100 inches
Height 4.5m with extended pole for wind generator
Weigh: 1500kg / 3300 lb
Installed power output: wind 750W solar 600W
Battery capacity: 9744Wh

The unit pictured above is designed for installation on the ground. The company is developing a frame suitable for mounting on a truck chassis. With a weight of 3300 lb before water, food and gear are added, the truck would have to be very stout (Fuso Canter FG, Ram 4500, etc.)

The company will start accepting orders in late 2015. Delivery will begin in mid 2016. No prices or options have been announced.

More photos and information on the company website (in English) http://www.ecocapsule.sk/

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Nice computer generated images - I especially like the ones on the beach without wheels below the high tide line with the tire tracks going under them.

but I doubt the real product would be as nice to use as the images suggest. Having a wind turbine mounted to a sleeping unit is a bad idea as they will produce a lot of vibration and noise. Also, the curved solar array will work poorly compared to the same size solar array arranged on a flat surface or preferably a properly tilted and oriented mount.

The weight of these units also seems excessive for something so small. While the curved shape is attractive - a more traditional teardrop trailer shape with flat sides would be more useful and it seems like having wheels on them would make moving them a lot easier...

bob91yj

Resident **************
Saw this earlier today. Interesting concept. I've often wondered why FEMA and other disaster relief operations don't have knock down versions of something like this. Even the plastic garden shed type construction would be enough to provide basic shelter, and they are damn near indestructible.

I agree that slab sides would make for a more usable space, but wouldn't look as futuristic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier