Eezi-Awn Roof Rack for a JKU?

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I've always understood that the JK hardtop isn't built to support much, if any, weight. I'm interested in a clean looking rack for my hardtop JKU for carrying gear, 5 to 10 gallons of gas, etc. I know there are a lot of clean rack options out there for the JK including a handful that tie into the factory roll cage thru the top, but saw the Eezi-Awn and noticed that it doesn't claim to tie into the cage. They don't provide a weight limit, but say it'll 'carry any load' and even mention mounting a RTT to it. This doesn't seem like a great idea, but was wondering if anyone was running one and what their thoughts were. It looks like a clean, functional and low-profile rack.

http://www.equipt1.com/item/k9-2-2-meter-roof-rack-system-for-jeep-wrangler-jk-4-dr#

Other options that tie into the roll bar are the AEV rack ( http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/jk-wrangler/jk-roof-rack ) and the FrontRunner Rack ( http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ack-jeep-wrangler-jk-5-door.html#.VWEIZ0arF6I )

I really don't like the looks of how the FrontRunner rack ties into the windshield pillar, but understand that it adds solid support to something that needs it.

Any thoughts on Frontrunner slimline 2 rack vs Gobi rack? I like the attachments for Frontrunner. Do things tie down easily to Gobi? Gobi advantage obviously can take hardtop off, still have on rack more easily. I was really thinking frontrunner but now am back to Gobi. Any strong thoughts out there for Jeep Rubicon four door?

sseaman

Adventurer
That's a good looking rack but would be cautious with too much weight on it. The only thing I don't like right off the bat is that is it would require the freedom tops to be on.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
Any thoughts on Frontrunner slimline 2 rack vs Gobi rack? I like the attachments for Frontrunner. Do things tie down easily to Gobi? Gobi advantage obviously can take hardtop off, still have on rack more easily. I was really thinking frontrunner but now am back to Gobi. Any strong thoughts out there for Jeep Rubicon four door?

I'm leaning towards the FrontRunner Slimline 2 myself, I don't like the look of all those tubes hanging down the side of the Jeep with the Gobi, to me it looks like a poorly thought out design, a last minute add on. Makes me wonder how much more wind noise all those round tubes cause as well. I want a rack that's strong, clean looking and build right. I really want a full length rack that ties into the roll bar for the highest amount of load carrying ability, that will effect how easy it is to take the hard top off but I'm alright with that in order to gain more load carrying capacity.

what about rhino rack? I own Several of their products and am very impressed. (none of which are a roof rack haha)
http://www.rhinorack.com/backbone

Looks like their products aren't rated for more than 260#'s, but not sure if that's a static load or rolling. If it's static, that's not enough for a RTT and 2 people.

That's a good looking rack but would be cautious with too much weight on it. The only thing I don't like right off the bat is that is it would require the freedom tops to be on.

The Eezi-Awn? I agree with you, with no real support other than the hardtop I'd be worried about carrying much weight up there at all.

Timgco

Adventurer
Rhino Rack. Freedom panels come off easily enough. Internal frame is stout. You can use a hoist to the rack itself to remove the entire hardtop if you decide to take the entire top off. I recommend relocating your satellite radio antenna to the wiper cowl.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
That is a clean, functional looking rack... I dig it.

Whats the heaviest load you've carried? Does the 260# limit seem to be an issue? A RTT with 2 people in it more than doubles that limit at around 600#'s, depending on the tent and people. I like the rack, but with that kind of weight restriction I don't think it'll do the needed job.

KK6POV

Adventurer
Rhino Rack. Freedom panels come off easily enough. Internal frame is stout. You can use a hoist to the rack itself to remove the entire hardtop if you decide to take the entire top off. I recommend relocating your satellite radio antenna to the wiper cowl.

I think there is a video of the whole rig being lifted by a crane using the roof rack. I'd imagine the 260# limit is so people don't DRIVE with that much on their roof. That seems to be the theme when rating roof racks. I would call them and ask.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I think there is a video of the whole rig being lifted by a crane using the roof rack. I'd imagine the 260# limit is so people don't DRIVE with that much on their roof. That seems to be the theme when rating roof racks. I would call them and ask.

That's the Front Runner Slimline II roof rack that you're thinking about.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've had the MBRP JK/JKU Rack on my jeep for over 6 years and I've carried lumber/camping tents/ladders/tables and even used the TEPUI RTT tent--

The MBRP/ (Quadratec) "Off Camber Rack" will support 350lbs mobile and over 700lbs static-very strong and stays with the top--not easily removable-
PICT0099.jpg

001_zps3125b80c.jpg

002_zpscd35708d.jpg

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

rlynch356

Defyota

Could you go int more detail on removing the hard top (and using the softtop with the rack removed) I would love an option that allows me to occasionally switch between hard and soft tops and keep the rack. My Bajarack does not allow that without a bunch of work.

Maxcustody

Explorer
Could you go int more detail on removing the hard top (and using the softtop with the rack removed) I would love an option that allows me to occasionally switch between hard and soft tops and keep the rack. My Bajarack does not allow that without a bunch of work.
It has an internal skeleton. You remove the hard top exactly as you would without the rack

Sent from my Roof Top Tent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94