Tent Base Material

Caleb9107

Hi all,
I've been doing quite a bit of research on making my own RTT. I have run across two different designs and was wondering if anyone could weigh in on their tent's design. One style of design I have seen uses plywood/sheathing as a base material coated with deck/outdoor sealer. The premade tents seem to have a white, plastic-looking base. Can anyone tell me what the white plastic-looking material is? Is the base melamine chipboard with the edges coated, plywood with a plastic sheet secured to it some way, or is the base something else entirely?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Caleb

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
If you're talking about tents like Tepui, CVT, or similar, they use two sheets of thin sheet metal covering an aluminum frame and sheets of hard foam insulation.

Caleb9107

If you're talking about tents like Tepui, CVT, or similar, they use two sheets of thin sheet metal covering an aluminum frame and sheets of hard foam insulation.
Wreck, yes those are the tents I'm referencing. I have been searching for pictures that showed what you are indicating, but have not come across any as of yet. That leads me to assume that if you lifted up the mattress that you would only be able to see the top aluminum sheet and not any of the framework/insulation? Thanks for your reply!

Have you found this page?

http://www.cascadiatents.com/Spare-Tent-parts.htm?m=83&s=675

Missing some key prices, like the actual tent shell, but gives you an idea of price breakdown on a tent.

Ennored, I had not seen that page yet. That does help me in my planning/building knowing what I can build vs buy to save costs! Thanks for the heads up on the link!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior