Small sine wave inverter for laptop?

HeelToe

Hi yall, first post here. I've read a lot on here for quite a while though, thanks for the resource!

Anyways, a little background. I work on the road, about 300 days a year im in and out of hotels for months on end, the rest of the time Im trying to gear up for more long term back country adventuring outside of my home state. In the mean time I thought that this may be a good place to ask about procuring a small sine wave inverter to mount into my E90 road car. I have some space to hard wire it in the under trunk storage area but it cannot be too large. I also want clean power as it will be used almost exclusively to charge my lap top. And I will frequently be using it while plugged in. Any opinions or shared experience is much appreciated. Thank you

Kiomon

Adventurer
If it's really just a laptop, I would source a 12v charger for it. They are available for just about every model. But if you really want a small inverter, I use this one to run a Mac mini and a Poe Ethernet switch in the mog. Has been flawless with 24/7 use.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KMYRPM0

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You don't need a sinewave inverter to power a laptop computer - all it does is convert the power into DC so any modified square wave inverter works fine... or get a power supply that accepts AC or DC as others said.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Apple laptops tend to want more than 12v can provide and demand clean power. I use two inverters; a 2800w for the A/C, etc., and a small one for my MacBookPro and other small loads. Both are pure sine wave models. My system is KISS, no switches, simply different outlets. Works well.

jkam

nomadic man
When I was on the road more, I had one of these to run my Macbook Pro and it did fine.
Could also charge my hotspot with the USB port.
k2-_f3769115-0df0-4e47-9a1d-b1e509234b1b.v1.jpg

Arclight

SAR guy
Samlex makes nice, pure sine wave inverters that are good for the money. I have one that is 400W and has a remote control line. This is a feature you will need if you want to mount it in the truck, back seat, etc.

John

HeelToe

Sometimes I plug a mobile router in and I also need to be able to charge multiple types of laptops, sometimes silmuntaneously. Ive also had issues with previous small inverters that plug into the lighter socket, ground loop like issues with sound and various bugs solely when plugged in. Wanted to try a big hardwire. Ill look at those two posted, probaby jump one one and go from there. Thanks yall

Joe917

Explorer
Sometimes I plug a mobile router in and I also need to be able to charge multiple types of laptops, sometimes silmuntaneously. Ive also had issues with previous small inverters that plug into the lighter socket, ground loop like issues with sound and various bugs solely when plugged in. Wanted to try a big hardwire. Ill look at those two posted, probaby jump one one and go from there. Thanks yall
If you really need a small inverter this has been great for us:
http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/suresine/

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Joe,

Glad to hear it. Our original small inverter was a very cheap unit; not very clean power, etc. It just died and I was looking at exactly that Morning Star. Do you use it with a switch or do you use the auto-on feature?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
x2 on the sure sine. That was the first inverter I thought of when I read your post. Its the most efficient inverter out there, its expensive but its bullet proof and will last you forever.

Most people i know use it on a switch. Just flip the switch to power the power strip.

*Most people use the Sure Sine for all the small stuff and then have a 1000W square wave for the large clunky stuff that does not seed sine way(coffee maker :) )

*** The biggest advantage to the sure sine is the efficientness of it. It uses very little power when on.

OOOORRRR

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-806-1...id=1432957506&sr=8-5&keywords=1000w+sine+wave

I have this one under my seat, its not nearly as efficient(.5 amp standby) but its my all around. It runs my heated blanket in the cold, charges my laptop and runs my 700w coffee maker when I need it.

Joe917

Explorer
Joe,

Glad to hear it. Our original small inverter was a very cheap unit; not very clean power, etc. It just died and I was looking at exactly that Morning Star. Do you use it with a switch or do you use the auto-on feature?

I wired in the switch, very simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior