F-350. Single vs. duallies

Paul B.

Adventurer
image.jpgSomeone working on my truck commented I might have a rear axle that would accept DRW. How would I know this? I don't want to put dual rear wheels, I'm just wondering what it is that I have. There are no ID stickers, no door stickers, no glove box stickers, etc. I'm pretty sure that when it was first sold it was sold as a chassis only, later had a big lift gate installed.

ZWilson07

View attachment 286161Someone working on my truck commented I might have a rear axle that would accept DRW. How would I know this? I don't want to put dual rear wheels, I'm just wondering what it is that I have. There are no ID stickers, no door stickers, no glove box stickers, etc. I'm pretty sure that when it was first sold it was sold as a chassis only, later had a big lift gate installed.

You have a Sterling 10.25 and the reason the hubs are set up that way is so you can remove the axle shafts without having to pull the wheels off.

In order for you to swtich to a dually setup, you would need an actually dually axle from that generation ford or the adapters and run actual dually wheels. I will warn you the adapters for that generation are not cheap by any means and it would actually probably be easier and even possibly cheaper to find a complete dually axle. Just make sure if you went that route that you get one from an F350 pickup, not a cab and chassis model.

For instance, a set of adapters here

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?72194-FS-Dually-conversion-Kit

Paul B.

Adventurer
No. I have no desire to install DRW. Just wondering. Only 4x4s I've ever owned were Toyotas and Ford Rangers/Explorers. Only duallies I've had were full-on work trucks. For this Rat Camper thing singles are way better. Easier to change flats. Want to have two full size spares on rims. (Bead locks could be in my future, but for now it's about getting it out camping with the least $$$$.) My final weight should be way under the rating for this truck.

Muchas gracias for the responses. I knew you guys would know.

Observer
Dually and single rear wheel rears are different widths. If yours were a DRW rear and you had singles on it you would know it to look at it.

Paul B.

Adventurer
I ran the VIN through an online decoder. It was originally an SRW pick up 8 foot bed. Heavy duty suspension, solid front axle. Made in Canada. Got a lot of information on my truck. But none of it is unusual. I just don't know why it has no ID stickers of any kind. Somehow, it ended up at the Getty Center in Malibu, and had a heavy-duty liftgate on the back. Then it came to me, thank God. Seems like a hell of a clean truck.

Again, thanks to all. We're getting going on the frame and the mounting of the camper. Promise lotsa pix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier