What size upgraded fuel tank recommended?

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Most bad diesel if either bad because of water or diesel bug. Diesel bug (be it algea, bacteria, or whatever) thrives in varm environments. Sludge in diesel is usually diesel bug, and although you haven't had any problems with storing it for those months, doesn't mean it's a better solution to carry all that around constantly rather than purchase it from some outback garage if the aim is to avoid what is perceived to be "lesser" fuel.

Yes diesel bug can be a problem but I think you are barking up a personal choice of people having 2 tanks and carrying fuel around. If you don't want to do it Don't. I know myself a lot of time with my standard tank I'm driving 20Klms a day just to get fuel so I can keep working, so a second tank for me will pay for itself. No I don't live in town.

Dan.

boostin

Adventurer
I think we are moving off topic here, so to get back on track...
From what I have seen, and people I have spoken with, around 300 litres seems to be the consensus for a good amount of fuel to carry on an expedition Fuso/Isuzu.
Also, rectangular tanks are more space efficient than cylindrical tanks of the same capacity.

Awesome thanks...it's just a work truck not a expedition vehicle. But I plan to be doing some long range driving so extra fuel would be nice

I am going to look at some class 6 trucks for tanks.

I do have ample space so I am pretty flexible

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Yes diesel bug can be a problem but I think you are barking up a personal choice of people having 2 tanks and carrying fuel around. If you don't want to do it Don't. I know myself a lot of time with my standard tank I'm driving 20Klms a day just to get fuel so I can keep working, so a second tank for me will pay for itself. No I don't live in town.

Dan.

I was very specifically talking about having two huge tanks where one could sit unused for up to three months as someone posted, and how it wasn't prudent to do so, if the aim was to avoid "lesser" fuel.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Keep your tank/s full and add sum additive like Chemtech Diesel Power when not using your truck for a while, change your filter/s offen, drain and clean water trap , and if you have a lift pump don't forget the little gauze on the inlet.
These few steps you should avoid the diesel bug.
Well it works for us.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
The full tanks "only" helps to stop water accumulation (which is good, though) when it cools down and heats up (i.e. condensation). The filters may stop some of the sludge from being pulled into the engine, but it does not stop the forming of diesel bug. Using a chemical is good to alleviate the problem before it becomes a problem, but with all that said, I can't help but wonder if it's worth the trouble rather than have some jerry cans or fuel bladder to use when needed, or at least use smaller tanks than ones that have someone store it for up to three months.
Two smaller tanks that gets used somewhat often seems like a better idea than two huge tanks where you have to take care of one tank to stop it going bad and have to remind yourself to use the contents before a certain date and so on.

vwalan

on my canter mini artic i have a merc 200 litre tank on one side and a daf 150 litre the other side . ideal for traveling in africa . or even in europe fuel can be cheaper in one country to the next.
also in morocco its cheaper in the south .
coming back to uk makes sense to fill up as uk is 30pence a litre dearer than spain .
occasionally stick a few gallon of petrol mixed in and that seems to keep diesel bug at bay.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
2 stroke oil

On the Aus Exploroz website there have been several threads discussing the use of adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil to diesel tanks to help lubricate the injector pump since the advent of low sulphur fuel. I do not do this but several owners of Landcruiser and Nissan 4wds have reported long use with no adverse effects and claim quieter pump operation.

I add an equivalent preservative to the Chemtech to my tanks if the fuel has been in for a while. On the truck I now have a prefilter of 50 micron prior to the oem unit and this also has a water trap. I have used the 2 tank, separate fill where possible approach for most of my 40+ years of 4wd travelling. I avoid jerry cans as I will not store them inside a vehicle, consider them a handling hazard on a roof rack, and prefer to have a properly fitted dual tank setup for all the reasons said. Jerries and bladders are fine for the occasional one off long trips, but are an additional expense and have to be stored between use. Now I am older with a back problem lifting a jerry is not an option I want to use. Yes I do have an air fitting for a jerry can which I used for refuelling a boat for some years, but it was out of necessity not preference.

Each to their own, but my preference and experience is that dual tanks of a size to suit the owner's travel needs is the way to go.

Last edited:

Raker

Observer
Had a couple of mates that were courier drivers. The vehicles were diesel hi ace vans. As they were the same hp, one mate put a few litres of petrol in to boost hp. He blew it up.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As they were the same hp, one mate put a few litres of petrol in to boost hp. He blew it up.

I would be more concerned about totally stuffing the common rail injection system, which has a very high probability if you dilute your diesel with petrol.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Yeah have not heard good things about adding petrol to diesel. Usually hear about folks using additives to take the fuel in the other direction!

yabanja

Explorer
Weight is an issue with these trucks. Figure out everything you want and calculate the weight before your start making modifications. If you can find an aluminum tank it is vastly lighter which will help. I am mounting a 50 gallon square tank right behind the air filter which will be adequate for my distance needs and free up space on the frame for an additional storage box.

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles