How many rounds in the cylinder of single actions?

gm13

Adventurer
Do you carry a full wheel or one shy? I've no single action experience yet, but I'm being called by an Uberti Top Break Schofield and just wondering about general consensus on that issue.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I don't carry a revolver for the same reason I don't carry an atlatl, or a bow, or a broad sword.....they are an ancient weapon of a foregone era.

just kidding.

kind of....

I've always seen people carry full cylinders, and then cock the hammer when its time to fire. From a physical perspective, the likely hood of being able to get enough force behind a firing pin without the hammer striking it while the hammer is as rest is about zero or less. I think you would be just fine to carry it full cylinder hammer down. If I had one, I would. :shrug:

Cole S

I always carry an empty on the one under the hammer. I learned this when I was a kid on my dads single six. I really think that would have accidentally discharged if you did not do that. Better safe than sorry.

Wanderer1

I believe the older design made having the hammer on an empty a good idea but my modern Ruger has a gate of sorts to keep the hammer away from the pin.

robert

Expedition Leader
It is safe to carry a modern revolver fully loaded and this includes Ruger single actions with the transfer bar safety system (the "New Model" with the three screws). Do not carry old single action guns with hammer mounted firing pins with a round under the pin. While it was apparently done enough to coin the phrase "half cocked", loading six and pulling the hammer back to half cocked wasn't the best of ideas from a safety point of view, especially given that a lot of the old holsters didn't fit tightly or have very good retention capabilities- i.e. Slim Jim style holsters. There are some guns that had a notch between the cylinders so that the hammer could be rested in that slot instead of with a load under it- the Remington 1858 is the first that comes to mind.

Most modern styles of reproduction single actions have some sort of hammer or firing pin safety but not all.

From Dave Chicoine's book - Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West' - page 323.

'The Uberti Hammer Block Safety is an integral part of the Navy Arms Schofield, unlike the original Smith and Wesson Schofield, which had no such feature.
This is a simple and reasonably effective spring-loaded, 'sliding bar' type of safety that becomes activated when the hammer is placed in the 1/2 cock position.
Should the hammer fall from the 1/2 cock position due to the gun being dropped, causing sear breakage, the will remain up or in the 'on' position, preventing an accidental discharge.
When the hammer becomes full cocked, the safety pinrides up over the cam on the safety bar so the safety remains in the 'on' position, the safety is pushed back out of the way (to the 'off' position) by the hammer safety pin as the hammer falls from fully-cocked after the trigger is pulled to fire the cartridge.
Hammer block safety oeration can be adversely affected by side-play in the hammer, from a loose hammer stud or a loose fit of the hammer on its stud.'

From Uberti's website:

SAFETY
These guns have a hammer block safety in the frame. To activate the hammer safety block, pull the hammer backward until you hear the first click. Lower the hammer into the safety position. With the hammer in this position, the safety mechanism is activated. This patented device places a steel insert between the hammer and the frame and is designed to prevent the gun from firing accidentally. When the gun is not being used, always use your hammer block safety. (See drawing “A”)

http://www.uberti.com/sites/default/files/originals/product-manuals/top_break.pdf

gm13

Adventurer
From Dave Chicoine's book - Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West' - page 323.

'The Uberti Hammer Block Safety is an integral part of the Navy Arms Schofield, unlike the original Smith and Wesson Schofield, which had no such feature.
This is a simple and reasonably effective spring-loaded, 'sliding bar' type of safety that becomes activated when the hammer is placed in the 1/2 cock position.
Should the hammer fall from the 1/2 cock position due to the gun being dropped, causing sear breakage, the[sliding bar?] will remain up or in the 'on' position, preventing an accidental discharge.
When the hammer becomes full cocked, the safety pinrides up over the cam on the safety bar so the safety remains in the 'on' position, the safety is pushed back out of the way (to the 'off' position) by the hammer safety pin as the hammer falls from fully-cocked after the trigger is pulled to fire the cartridge.
Hammer block safety oeration can be adversely affected by side-play in the hammer, from a loose hammer stud or a loose fit of the hammer on its stud.'

From Uberti's website:

SAFETY
These guns have a hammer block safety in the frame. To activate the hammer safety block, pull the hammer backward until you hear the first click. Lower the hammer into the safety position. With the hammer in this position, the safety mechanism is activated. This patented device places a steel insert between the hammer and the frame and is designed to prevent the gun from firing accidentally. When the gun is not being used, always use your hammer block safety. (See drawing “A”)

http://www.uberti.com/sites/default/files/originals/product-manuals/top_break.pdf

Thanks all and thanks Robert for the quote from the book, that is more clear to me what is going on. Apparently, on Uberti's there is more than just the sear keeping the pin off the primer. I had watched a couple of Hickok45 videos on Schofields, one of them an Uberti where he only loads 5, and a video where he explains why with a Colt and a Model 3 but not sure if that was an Uberti with a modern safety.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I always carry an empty on the one under the hammer. I learned this when I was a kid on my dads single six. I really think that would have accidentally discharged if you did not do that. Better safe than sorry.

Must have been a "old model" Single Six (Ruger). Old models were pre-1973 and can be converted with the transfer-bar safety system.

It is safe to carry a modern revolver fully loaded and this includes Ruger single actions with the transfer bar safety system (the "New Model" with the three screws).

The 3 screw is actually the Old Model. The New Model is often referred to as a 2 screw, but they are actually pins rather than screws. (Applicable to the Single Six, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk)

New model:

DSC_0131.jpg

Old Model (other side, there are 3 screw heads)

DSCN1796.jpg

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Must have been a "old model" Single Six (Ruger). Old models were pre-1973 and can be converted with the transfer-bar safety system.

The 3 screw is actually the Old Model. The New Model is often referred to as a 2 screw, but they are actually pins rather than screws. (Applicable to the Single Six, Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk)

<snip>

Yep, I got 'em backwards- I was thinking of one and typed the other. I've got one of the New Model Blackhawks and my dad shoots an Old Model Blackhawk.

orangeTJ

Explorer
Yep, I got 'em backwards- I was thinking of one and typed the other. I've got one of the New Model Blackhawks and my dad shoots an Old Model Blackhawk.

I love Ruger Single Actions. I have some I shoot and some are safe queens. (like the SS convertible Blackhawk I posted above)

I'd like a Single Ten someday.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I carry one shy even with the hammer block, mostly out of habit but I also don't carry it for anything more than squirrels and cans. Saves ammo haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles