Stock P-Rated Tires on Colorado Passes?

Danimal

Adventurer
I'm not sure where else to post this question, and I like you guys a lot - so I posted it here. :ylsmoke:

I've got a 2015 4Runner Trail that is essentially bone stock and still has the stock Dunlop AT20 P-rated "tires". My 87 year old home has decided that my ample 4Runner fund would be better spent elsewhere - so I am not able to upgrade anything on the truck until next spring.

However, myself and two others have been hoping for a trip this Fall to Colorado to explore. We'd be doing a mix of driving passes and seeing abandoned mining towns, as well as backpacking and mountain biking. We do not have a full plan, but there are several passes we would like to see during the trip - potentially Imogene, Black Bear, Engineer, etc.

I have recovery gear, tools, air compressor, first aid, etc. and solid working knowledge of traversing difficult terrain and fixing vehicles in tough spots. It's mostly the p-rated tires that concern me - will durability be an issue? Of course, the vehicle has a full size spare that is - yet another AT20. :squint:

Appreciate any insight I can get. I searched, and didn't find much.

Dan

Adventurous

Explorer
I can't speak from personal experience, only ample Internet research, but I would strongly caution against doing some passes (namely Black Bear) on your stockers. the margin for error is too small to risk the lack of traction. You would probably be fine on some of the more mellow ones however.

I took the Dunlops off of my Tacoma after only 1000 miles and they were abysmal for those 1000.

justrom

Adventurer
I haven't traveled the areas that you're talking about. However, I have used the stock Dunlops exploring around southern California. They've gone through the Mojave Road and the back roads of Death Valley with a lot of washboard, dirt, and volcanic rock. Aired down to 20 psi or less and driven carefully they've been ok. I have had two flats, one from a thorn picked up in my driveway and another on a graded dirt forest service road in Montana. Traction on extreme trails is another matter where I have no experience...

MR. ED

Observer
I did Imogene in my stock F150 with p-rated 265/70/17's. I went slow and chose my lines carefully. I did not air down, No problems. Have fun.

njtacoma

Explorer
Growing up and still living in Colorado, I had good luck with all the stock tires on my trucks and various passes in Colorado.

Going slow will be the key, some of the rocks are sharp, and all the weight of a 4runner in a pinch situation could damage the tire easily.

Depending on how hard you have to travel the stock tire may return enough better mileage to make it worthwhile to leave them on anyways.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I would imagine that at least half of the vehicles up there are on P-rated tires.

P-rated tires usually have plenty of traction around here. The only thing I've run into is the rock talus that can be pretty sharp. I had some get underneath a tread block on a P-rated tire near Minturn and cause a non-repairable flat. It may have done the same to an LT-tire though.

You may not want to air them down, (I never air down anymore with any tire) but they should do just fine. Have a great trip!

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
You mentioned going in fall. be aware the weather can change dramatically. I went to Denver last fall on business. It was sunny and in the 60's on Sunday, on Monday the Polar Vortex hit. It was the longest, hardest 700 mile round trip I've ever done. I ditched my stock P rated Rugged Trails shortly afterward.

Depending on the mileage on your present tires, you may want to ditch them. Discount Tire does 0% for 12 months:D

Danimal

Adventurer
Great feedback, all. Much appreciated.

You mentioned going in fall. be aware the weather can change dramatically. I went to Denver last fall on business. It was sunny and in the 60's on Sunday, on Monday the Polar Vortex hit. It was the longest, hardest 700 mile round trip I've ever done. I ditched my stock P rated Rugged Trails shortly afterward.

Depending on the mileage on your present tires, you may want to ditch them. Discount Tire does 0% for 12 months:D

Great point on time of year. We're considering early / mid September now for that very reason. Tires have 7,000 miles on them, and I like the way you think. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can finance tires with a clean conscious. :coffeedrink:

Dan

fjatheart

Adventurer
I've done some rocky trails and creek beds in SE TN and trailed at Superlift in Hot Springs on P rated 265/75R16's, a little air out. I wheel moderate and difficult trails without and problems. Hope to go to LT's when these wear out, but all in good time and while staying within our family budget. Good call on not financing tires. Def not a must for you at this point.

High_Country

Adventurer
I sold my stock at20's with 7,500 miles on them for $350 (Craigslist) and sold them quickly at that (maybe too cheap - I got what I asked).
I did Cinnamon, Stony, and Corkscrew pass last fall (not in the 4Runner, a diesel Ram). Anyways, the NUMBER ONE vehicle part casualty on those southern Colorado trails is tires. This is due I'm told to all the sharp rocks as previously mentioned. Traction isn't really the issue, it's the toughness of the tire and resistance to puncture.
Do you NEED to upgrade? No, it IS possible to do the trails on P-rated tires. Should you upgrade? Really that's based on a lot of subjective factors - risk tolerance, driving style, help from others, peace of mind, etc.
I can tell you that I chose to upgrade to Cooper ST Maxx tires (LT tires) for about a net cost of $600 and love it. Got more clearance, got better off-road performance and got the looks to boot.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I can't speak to Imogene or Black Bear as I've never done them but the Alpine Loop (Engineer and Cinnamon Passes) is an easy road and your Tacoma should be fine on stock tires. Make sure you air them down, though. I did the Alpine Loop in my 2007 4runner shortly after I bought it. It was on the tires it came with, Cooper Discoverer M+S, so not an "off road" tire by any stretch of the imagination and it did fine. Heck, I even still had my running boards on!

tweenerlj

Adventurer
What a timely discussion as I contemplate Using my P-rated tires in the New Mexico mountains this summer. Not a Toy, but the same issue. Just picked up this truck that has brand new P-rated tires:

1428873419-l.jpg

One thing that I will fix before I go is to replace the motorcycle-ish temporary use spare tire with a full size. There is plenty of room in the factory location since I plan to keep this truck essentially stock.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Airing down is the key here. Those that avoid it are just plain wrong.

LT tires would be a better choice but a good eye on tire placement and aired down you will be fine with P rated tires.

Most of the time the problem is the archer not the arrow.

Last edited:

v_man

Explorer
Why not just throw the tires on the credit card , or go through America's Tire ? You want to risk a tire failure(s) , at 12,000 feet , on Black Bear Pass , in fall?

Being frugal vs. the risk does not make sense here ...

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
Hi,
For what it's worth. A friend with a full size Dodge PU lost 2 tires on the Alpine loop back in 2010. One was flat before we even got to Animas Forks, the second happened on the road to Lake City. We had to throw the tires, and 4 kids in my Tacoma DC (E rated Generals) and drove into Lake City to the tire shop. Both tires had cuts that could not be repaired. Tire guy made the comment about C range tires should not run the passes. He then called Gunnison as he did not have tire to replace with. So kids and I stayed in Lake City (Nice park & rec center) buddy ran to Gunnison and back.

Back to the same area, Dodge friend E rated tires, another friend from France with a family in a rented Suburban Passenger tires. Has a puncture on the way up to Clear lake. Off to Durango as Silverton shop does not have a replacement and could not plug.

Martin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles