'90 Mercedes 917 Camper Build

Feytski

With the knob on top of the left you can regulate the air pressure and under the regulator is a bowl which takes the moist/watersediments which is in the air ,the right one dispends smal amounts of oil for air tools or pneumatic rams and the bowl holds the oil for it.

nice build

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Ok so im now about to take the firebox off. I only have a 20gal fuel tank and it hangs about 5" below my T-case. So I need to scrap the one I got and get a new one... or two? I want a 60gal capacity which would give me about 700 mile range. Im getting a custom tank built because nothing on the market that I could find would really work for what im planning on doing. But with that it leaves it open to do with it what I want.

20150624_083145

I originally wanted to get 2 tanks and mount them on opposite sides of the truck. Feeling there is if one breaks open I still have fuel in the other tank. The problem im running into is I have two huge air tanks on my drivers side which also hang super low. I'm hoping I can get rid of one air tank completely.

20150624_084252

So what do you guys think about two or only a single tank? If I get one single tank truck just pulls fuel from the one tank and I don't have to worry about transfer it from another tank. I can fill out fuel without having to drive around to another pump. But if it ruptures ill be in deep crap. But the thing I can think of is that XPCamper is building aluminum boxes that will encase the tank and act as my locking gas cap. So I dont know if ill be scraping the fuel tank on any rocks...

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Those air tanks look to be at least 3 to 4 times bigger than the ones on my 814 (it has 1 modest sized tank per circuit plus a tiny emergency one). I know the 917 is bigger but not by that much. They're also a bit close to the ground for really bad roads. You may be able to locate a couple of smaller tanks inside the chassis rails - but you should probably stick with the same number of tanks.

I agree with your 2 fuel tank logic.

Joe917

Explorer
air tanks.JPG
My 917AF has 3 tanks, 1 wet , 2 supply.
They were moved up between the frame rails behind the rear axle.
As far as fuel tank goes I think two tanks overcomplicated, the risk of tank rupture is relatively low. I would consider 70 gals a minimum. The 917 AF only has one fuel filter at the engine,. I would recommend adding a water separator/filter as well.
cheers, Joe.

Ullie

Adventurer
About 1 or 2 fuel tanks:

rupture, unlikely, but getting bad fuel in a 3thd world country, yes. So if you keep one tank with good fuel, you can switch when needed.
This sad, we have only 1 tank off 225 liters beacause one tank takes less space than 2 to get to the same volume and the weight is less.

Joe917

Explorer
YES, hydraulic levelers capable of lifting the entire truck off the ground.

chassisconst.jpg
This is how the truck came from MB (minus the cab roof and door). Note the air tanks behind the front wheel. They were moved to accommodate the 450l diesel tank.
Joe,

Do you have an hydraulic leveling system? Is that what I see?

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looking awesome, so clean--why the need for a paint job?
Curious to confirm; it has Low Range, as well as Front/Center/Rear locking diffs?

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I want to paint the cab because red stands out. Also, the camper will be white, so having a red cab and white camper, I think that looks crappy.

Yes it has a low range and locking everything.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I want to paint the cab because red stands out. Also, the camper will be white, so having a red cab and white camper, I think that looks crappy.

Yes it has a low range and locking everything.

Oh gotcha, wasn't sure if you were going with a red camper(if Marc will even do that).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles