Bunnies in Bathrobes? A Memorial Day Adventure

mph

Expedition Leader
Every trip has its moments. Good and bad...For me, there is always one or two instances on every trip that I watch my daughter, Lilly, and marvel at how much of a free-spirited person she is. As I climbed down from the tent, I looked to see that Lilly is running after rabbits in her bathrobe. I was about to say, "Lilly, why don't you put on some clothes." But, I knew what her response would be..."Dad, I already have some clothes on..." She is definitely here own person. A person who is happy and positive! It's fun to see...

moab 1.jpg

This spring has been wet. I mean, really wet! It's been three weekends in a row where it's rained or poured! So, as we watched the Memorial Day forecast; I became nervous once again. Rain was predicted! However, there was a window over the southeastern area of Utah--the Moab area. I knew Moab on Memorial Day weekend would be a mistake. Way too many people...What to do? I knew of a few quiet places, so off we went.

The first morning was outstanding!

moab10.jpg

We decided to hike from camp. The green was intense in this slick rock, sandstone environment.

moab 2.jpg

moab3.jpg

With a nice hike under our belts, we rallied towards Moab. We decided to stop and see some signs of past visitors. This is a new Dinosaur track that was recently discovered. It was neat!

moab4.jpg

Driving into Moab, we saw all the people! It was Jeep week on steroids! There were people everywhere. I think they had the same idea as us...I think they watched the same weather report as us...We drove down Kane Creek and spotted hordes of people. Everywhere...I knew of a quick escape, a hike that would take us away from the people. Sure enough we saw 2 other people on our desert jaunt.

moab7.jpg

moab5.jpg

moab 6.jpg

People were camped everywhere. The desert was definitely getting used and some would say abused this weekend. Our truck slowly cruised along...The backcountry was calling. Sure enough, six miles later; we had the place to ourselves. The clouds of canyon country made it quite pretty! Time for dinner.

The Pink Panthers preparing Tacos.

moab 8.jpg

There didn't seem to be a lot of people where we were...

moab9.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
The following day dawned clear and bright! Canyon country in its glory!

moab11.jpg

After a quick pack job, we headed off to some rocks. Yep, rocks is the name of the game in canyon country. Lilly seemed to enjoy!

moab12.jpg

The Land Cruiser moved along. Exploring the desert at full bloom! It was gorgeous...

moab14.jpg

Lilly made a few friends along the way. Kobe is a desert tortoise that loves his surrounding as well.

moab15.jpg

moab13.jpg

Lunch! A little bit of a view...

moab16.jpg

Swimming in a desert slick rock pool is marvelous. Lilly and Ginger enjoying the day.

moab18.jpg

moab19.jpg

moab20.jpg

Off we go...

moab17.jpg

Escaping the crowds...the final installment...

mph

Expedition Leader
Our travels took us north of Moab. Moab was still jumping with people. We motored past the single file line of cars coming into town. As we drove north, my brain was contemplating where to camp. Some of the usual spots would be for surely swamped with people. Ahhh...I know the spot!

These Kit Foxes welcomed us on our journey...

moab21.jpg

The area that we camped with full of native americans that have traveled long before us. This unique pile of rocks caught my eye. Chert and two harder river rocks...Sure enough...Chert was everywhere.

moab22.jpg

Sunset time...

moab23.jpg

The next day, Lilly was on the "hunt" again. Where are those bunnies!

moab24.jpg

moab33.jpg

Off to Arches...For me, Arches never gets old. I have been there dozens of times but it's a magical environment for sure! See the arch?

moab25.jpg

Now, you can see it The longest arch in world?

moab26.jpg

The desert in all its glory...

moab28.jpg

moab29.jpg

The park service didn't seem to mind our departure.

moab30.jpg

Until next time...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great write up and pics as always...
Your quick family trips inspire me to get out more and especially get up to Utah :)

peneumbra

Explorer
Nice pics!

We had a great time in Moab, even with all the crowd. Got to roll out with the Fire Dept on a couple of calls, and even got to direct traffic at a two-vehicle collision north of town.

Directing traffic always makes me feel like... I don't know, a Sun God or something.

mph

Expedition Leader
Great write up and pics as always...
Your quick family trips inspire me to get out more and especially get up to Utah :)

THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS! YEAH, UTAH IS PRETTY CRAZY SPECIAL...ONE DOES GET SPOILED HERE!

Nice pics!

We had a great time in Moab, even with all the crowd. Got to roll out with the Fire Dept on a couple of calls, and even got to direct traffic at a two-vehicle collision north of town.

Directing traffic always makes me feel like... I don't know, a Sun God or something.

MOAB WAS GOING OFF! I COULDN'T BELIEVE THE CROWDS!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My daughter would be doing the same thing. HA HA I laughed when I saw your pictures Weather has just been really wild for sure. Thanks for sharing

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Great trip report! And X3, my daughter would be doing the same. Thx for sharing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior