Well, it wasss a Starcraft: Build Thread

clobber

Hey Everyone, First off I'm a new member here and this is my first jump into starting a thread so hopefully I can pull it off!

Anyway, I've been wanting some sort of camper for a while but I knew a regular camper wouldn't do what I want. I was searching the greatness that is Craigslist and came across this "beauty" and saw a cheap platform for a build.

Over the past 2 weeks I gutted it, stripped it and bobbed it and I'm currently waiting on the 24-hour Ospho Rust conversion instructions to coat the frame. I'm fresh out of college so this will be as budget friendly of a build as possible and I'm hoping to complete it by fall.

The last pic shows my rough plan drawing but after reading through a lot of the threads on here it is already changing a little!

Attachments

• Camper 1.jpg
    Camper 1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Camper 2.jpg
    Camper 2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Camper 16.jpg
    Camper 16.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Camper 18.jpg
    Camper 18.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Camper 19.jpg
    Camper 19.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Camper 23.jpg
    Camper 23.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 61
  • Camper 24.jpg
    Camper 24.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Camper 26.jpg
    Camper 26.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Camper 27.jpg
    Camper 27.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 1.24.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 1.24.13 PM.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 60

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I like your project. I wonder if it's possible to take 1 to 2 feet out of the width of the box to keep it inside the wheels and put the wide bed length wise.

clobber

I like your project. I wonder if it's possible to take 1 to 2 feet out of the width of the box to keep it inside the wheels and put the wide bed length wise.

Actually, that's the plan! the box will be roughly 2 inches wider than the inside rails that the axle mounts to, just wide enough for a full size bed long ways like you said. I'm going to use some circle track wheels in order to get the backspacing needed to make it work. The front outside rails are remaining there temporarily so that I can use them in case they will work for a side step.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I'm going to use some circle track wheels in order to get the backspacing needed to make it work. The front outside rails are remaining there temporarily so that I can use them in case they will work for a side step.

Those wheels have 0 BS correct? I almost got some, but wasn't sure if they'd work for me. I wound up with 1/4" BS trailer wheels. You could cut down those rails to attach fenders.

clobber

I wound up with 1/4" BS trailer wheels. You could cut down those rails to attach fenders.
I'm open to suggestions on wheels, Measurements say 2 inches of backspacing will work and give me room for tire bulge. (I'm gonna build the box and triple check before ordering them) I do want to keep the overall width down so the more b.s. the better. I'm converting the hubs to 5x4.5 and I'd like to run a 15x8 but the DOT thing kinda screws up the options. So far the closest I've found in the budget friendly realm is only 7 inches wide http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsw-57rf2s/overview/ my jeep will only be running 245/75/16's so going larger than a 31 isn't a priority at this point though I would eventually like to run something like a 33x10.50

And yeah, I'm hoping to use as much factory steel as possible, I only have access to Harbor Freight TIG welder at the moment and it's a pain to weld with (though the welds are much better then the flux core MIG I used to use) so I'm trying to do as little as possible

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Stock Rubicon TJ wheels are 8X16 aluminum and regular TJ's are 8X15 aluminum and 7X15 steel with a big BS. Jeep Forum has an awesome FAQ in the TJ section.
I'm running 235/75/15s and I have 25" clearance at the frame with a spring over.
I've built everything on my Jeep and trailers using my HF 90 amp welder.

clobber

Well I finally had a window of dry weather long enough to get the frame painted. After wire brushing it, Ospho, baking soda wash, and sanding I used the following coating order 1. Rustoleum Heavy Rust Primer 2. Rustoleum Automotive Primer 3. Rustoleum Aerosol Bedliner 4. Rustoleum Stops Rust Black. I've used this method before on Jeep parts and have had great results for the price. Camper Frame 1.jpg Camper Frame 2.jpg Camper Frame 3.jpg

I also received my LED Tail Lights and Marker Lights in the mail. Camper Lights.jpg

clobber

Back at it

Well, It's been 2 months and I've had a lot of stuff to deal with, trying to buy my first home and whatnot, but I'm finally back on the camper project funded by my tax refund check haha!

Today I welded in an extra floor brace made out of an old garage door opener rail, it's probably the thickest piece of metal in the frame! Then I cut the floor out of 19/32 plywood and fastened it with stainless screws. The floor is surprisingly firm, I expected it to at least have a little "squish" but it's almost as firm as a home floor.

The first exterior wall panel went up as I was running out of light but you can see the basic shape starting to form. I'm using 5/16 in. plywood for the exterior panel and 1/4 in. for the inner with 1.5 x 1.5 in. framing made by ripping 2x4's in half since the local store bought 2x2's were absolute crap. Tomorrow I'm picking up a set of larger tires and rims for it but I have to swap hubs out to a 5x4.5 hub pattern and have to figure out if the rims the tires are on will work with spacers or if I need to buy new rims.

Side Wall.jpgfloor.jpgNew brace.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz