99 explorer sleeping ASAP

dhawkins556

Does anyone know if a full air mattress will fit in the back of a 1999 Ford Explorer and can 2 people ( 5'9" 210lbs and 5'1" 130lbs) comfortably sleep on it? Thanks guys.

dhawkins556

Well, I answered my own question. Lol.
A full size mattress does fit. And takes up every bit of space in the back. Great for me and the wife, if I were to go by myself, I would get a smaller one.

I want to stay minimal, and she is no go on a RTT, any suggestions or ideas for sleep or space saving is greatly appreciated.

82fb

Adventurer
Sleep with at least one window cracked a couple inches. Air gets stale quickly with two people in a car. Get the biggest roof top carrier to put all your stuff in at night. If you can do without it, take out the back seat permanently. Put your duffel bags in its place to level up under the air mattress. Or you could build a platform in that area.

dhawkins556

Sleep with at least one window cracked a couple inches. Air gets stale quickly with two people in a car. Get the biggest roof top carrier to put all your stuff in at night. If you can do without it, take out the back seat permanently. Put your duffel bags in its place to level up under the air mattress. Or you could build a platform in that area.

Great ideas! Thanks.

ihatemybike

Explorer
My wife (5'4") and I (6'2") spent two weeks in December 2012 traveling the oldest alignments of Rt-66 sleeping in the back of her 2002 Jeep Liberty. I had to sleep diagonally and she'd lay in the space next to me, little odd not having our heads at the same level, but we were comfortable. We'd cruise for the day, dinner and wi-fi when the sun set, park the Jeep, move bags to the front seats and go to sleep. Process became very normal. For several days after the trip we felt like we should be moving stuff before going to bed.

Ryan87LX

Observer
Well, I answered my own question. Lol.
A full size mattress does fit. And takes up every bit of space in the back. Great for me and the wife, if I were to go by myself, I would get a smaller one.

I want to stay minimal, and she is no go on a RTT, any suggestions or ideas for sleep or space saving is greatly appreciated.

I'm planning a trip this weekend that includes truck camping in the back of my Ex - I'm hoping that a Queen air mattress will fit, but I have a double (full) as well, just in case.

I also picked up a battery powered fan and I'm considering duct taping/tuck taping some screen material to one of the front windows and rolling it down a few inches. I suspect the vehicles aren't air tight enough to cause any problems, but it's always nice to have a bit of fresh air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke