2012 Titan Build - Old Black

Camelfilter

Explorer
Looks like a nice setup with the RTT, plus it seems pretty spacious!

You might consider keeping the rake, as when you load up you'll settle down in the rear.

Alternatively for a simple slight lift I did:

-a 1.5" lift disk on the front. The disk itself is actually only .8" in thickness, & sets on top of the spring/strut. Extremely easy install once you pop the ball joint- I forget now if it was the upper or lower, but I'm thinking upper.

-Bilstein struts set at the middle perch.

Difficult install-I could not compress the springs to remove the old struts, so paid a shop I think 40-$50 to compress the springs, remove the old struts, install the Bilsteins onto the springs. I then installed the spring/struts onto the truck myself at home.

-Firestone airbags in the rear. Easy driveway install. I really liked them, & they gave an inch or 2 lift just set at maintenance air pressure. Super handy when I'm loaded up heavy, just pump in some more air & the level & ride is maintained. I've since removed the airbags as I couldn't figure out how to run them with my RAS suspension springs--but I really want my airbags back on. I'll figure out a way.

-Rocky Road rear shock armor, kinda like sliders but just for the lower shock mount. They have 2 shock mounting positions, stock or I think an inch higher. I use the higher mount as I had the airbags. Easy driveway install, but getting the shocks compressed & back in was a challenge as I'm so out of shape. Note that the extra shock height will not give a lift, but compensates if you do run a slight lift (small blocks, or airbags like I was).

I also run oversized E rated tires, Nitto Terra Grapplers-295/70/18. They're nominal height new was about 34.5". They worked OK before I increased the front suspension height, meaning I did experience rubbing particularly if tight parking (ie steering wheel lock to lock) & easily rubbed turning in reverse. I did not cut my pinch weld, but did remove the front mud guards.

With the Bilsteins at mid perch only I rarely rub, with disk added in I can't recall the last time. I may do the pinch weld cut in the future, just so I can install some slim mud flaps-like sparco's or something.

Last edited:

Stokelyvancamp

Thanks guys. Picked up a couple -10C canvas sleeping bags, will use them like comforters/blankets. Should be plenty warm for us. Will likely get out for a shakedown trip with the tent mid-July. Can't wait.

Camelfilter, thanks for the info, I am definitely thinking I'll do the Rocky Road rear shock mount sliders. So thanks for the info.

And I understand what you're saying regarding the rake... I was thinking of adding a leaf in the back, and then adding stiffer springs up front... Maybe try for 1/2" in the back and 1 1/2" up front. What do you think of the bilsteins? I think I care more about the front suspension, the stock rear isn't too bad, but the front seems too soft, a lot of weight up front. Was thinking new coil overs for the front. If the bilsteins were really good, I'd be happy to go that way.
I don't see myself going much bigger tire wise, so will mostly be just trying to get a higher quality ride.

Next item is probably "the awning". No real great solution comes to mind so far, I want it over the tailgate, but the tent height and overhang make it a little tricky as I need to slope it away from the truck.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
these titans seem like fantastic trucks, and Ive yet to hear anyone with them say they wish they would have gotten a tundra or something else.

You guys getting them down the trail alright? (width?)

Stokelyvancamp

I've always had a soft spot for the Nissan trucks. I had a 2002 Tacoma and liked it a lot, but for me the Titan is just better in every spot that the Tacoma annoyed me. The big negative on the Titan is the gas mileage, it is not good. For me though, it suits what I need in a truck, no chrome, no sunroof, lots of room inside, good strong/durable box and factory utilitrack, good towing and hauling, locking dif, LSD, gauges for the right stuff, transmission cooler, etc.

Interestingly on the width, it is only about 7" wider than a Tacoma, about the same length as a Tacoma Double Cab...

Camelfilter

Explorer
Thanks guys. Picked up a couple -10C canvas sleeping bags, will use them like comforters/blankets. Should be plenty warm for us. Will likely get out for a shakedown trip with the tent mid-July. Can't wait.

Camelfilter, thanks for the info, I am definitely thinking I'll do the Rocky Road rear shock mount sliders. So thanks for the info.

And I understand what you're saying regarding the rake... I was thinking of adding a leaf in the back, and then adding stiffer springs up front... Maybe try for 1/2" in the back and 1 1/2" up front. What do you think of the bilsteins? I think I care more about the front suspension, the stock rear isn't too bad, but the front seems too soft, a lot of weight up front. Was thinking new coil overs for the front. If the bilsteins were really good, I'd be happy to go that way.
I don't see myself going much bigger tire wise, so will mostly be just trying to get a higher quality ride.

Next item is probably "the awning". No real great solution comes to mind so far, I want it over the tailgate, but the tent height and overhang make it a little tricky as I need to slope it away from the truck.

Oh hey your welcome!

I'm pretty happy with the Bilsteins. Mind that this is my first truck, so I don't really have a baseline to compare to.

Stock kyb's I thought fealt a bit "squishy" to me. More luxury car like, if that makes sense.

The Bilsteins are very good IMO, a bit "stiffer" ride. I have them set at the middle setting. I hear that it's "softer" at the low setting, and "too firm" at the top setting. I'm very happy with them.

My personal concern with adding a leaf would be making my the rear too firm/harsh/tall unloaded. Again though my first truck. I'm pretty happy with the RAS system, but the rear could use a few more inches.

On the awning: maybe some extendable poles or somesuch? I'll see if I can find who has the ones I'm thinking of on here...

Camelfilter

Explorer
Aha-found it.

Check out how user Subterran repurposed 2.5" hinges as awning mounts. Starts about post 22 of his pop-up build.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ntures-of-an-88-Phoenix?p=1533685#post1533685

Might be helpful for your application. I'm thinking some posts attached to the utitrac rails with one side of the hinges on the tops. The other sides of the hinges on the awning. Spring clip pins & it's a pretty easy setup. I use his hinge system on my Flippac for my awning & it's very easy.

Not sure how to make the posts attached to the utilitrac rails both an easy & stable setup though. Maybe an L bracket & spring nuts? Or large thumb screws that can fit into spring nuts?

Stokelyvancamp

Hey, awesome Camelfilter, thanks for that, was starting to think of sometime of post/rod on the utilitrac, down to the box, the attachment to the awning is made much easier by the mounting method you found. That's why I love this site. Great stuff.

Actually, now that I think of it a square tube could bolt nicely to the utilitrack, and then have the hinge off of that.

Will have a look and see how that would work out.

Thanks again.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Hey, awesome Camelfilter, thanks for that, was starting to think of sometime of post/rod on the utilitrac, down to the box, the attachment to the awning is made much easier by the mounting method you found. That's why I love this site. Great stuff.

Actually, now that I think of it a square tube could bolt nicely to the utilitrack, and then have the hinge off of that.

Will have a look and see how that would work out.

Thanks again.

Also, if you can find square tube that will nest tightly inside one another: short bigger section bolted on the utilitrac, just a few inches long. Narrower tube as the posts, slide them into the wider tube when you get to camp, clip on awning. Would seem quick & stable.

Heck might even be able to make it easily height adjustable using some thumb screws or something as well.

Stokelyvancamp

So. I found a really nice canvas tarp, but it is bigger than I planned... So I changed my immediate plans, I got four adjustable tent poles and I think I can do a really nice awning, albeit not on the vehicle for now. For some of the camping we do, I was thinking it'll work well to back into the site, set up the awning behind the vehicle, over the tailgate area and then be able to pull away if we need to go somewhere for the day. I think phase two will be a winter project where I make the tarp a custom size to be mounted off the truck or rack and then mount as we've been discussing Camelfilter. Ideally a trapezoidal shape with the narrow end at the truck and flaring out to the two free standing poles.

Also in the meantime, I bought some bins, they seem really good, I was looking for some decent, though not crazy expensive bins and stumbled upon these, I'll take some photos when loaded. And I had the first failed attempt at building a small subfloor in the box of the truck to get the bins above the wheel wells, but the bins are a bit too tall, so interfere with the rack mounts. So I may just set them in the middle and work around them for the other stuff.

All in all, I've been busy with the truck and have absolutely nothing to show for it....

But we booked a spot out in the mountains this weekend for a first trial run with the tent, really looking forward to it.

Also, decided I probably need a roof rack, but with the money I've been bleeding to this point, I may put it off. I just don't see a way I can do the RTT, bikes, canoe and SUP for the summers around here and then for the Mojave it'd help keep things tidy...

Stokelyvancamp

Well, first run with the tent was great. We took too much stuff, so will work on that. Shouldn't be a problem.
Temperature got down to about 5-7 deg C, and it was nice an warm in the tent, no issue with condensation either. The annex was handy too. Really impressed with the simplicity. Was super happy that I can open the tent in the garage too. We had some showers in the night and the fly was a little wet, so left the tent open in the garage over night once we were home.

Here are a couple pictures
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Stokelyvancamp

Well I bit the bullet and picked up a Yeti cooler. I debated fridge vs cooler, pelican vs yeti, yeti vs cheaper and in the end I realized I just wanted the Yeti. After having the trailer the last few years and always managing (worrying) about the batteries and solar panels, etc. I decided I would just keep with the new theme, keep it simple. I ended up getting a 75. Someone had stolen the basket, so I got 50$ off and will actually just buy a couple baskets for it. And because you have to test these things, and it is a long weekend, I loaded it up...
image.jpg

Stokelyvancamp

Was out on the weekend again, managed to do a good run down the Spray Lakes Road, was happy with the truck, not a long enough run to air down the tires, so some of the washboard had it humming a bit. Also as you can see from the pics, it was a rainy weekend, we got dumped on hard the one night, dry and cozy in the tent though, really impressed so far with the tent.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

cvoggs

Wicked thread man! I just realized from your last post that you probably live in Alberta!

Hows the truck doing now? Any more mods?

I just picked up a 2014 Titan myself and im gonna be building it up come spring! it would be great to see your rig!
Me and the girlfriend want to do the Overland Expo in May of 2016 is that of any interest to you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online