2012 Titan Build - Old Black

Stokelyvancamp

This'll be the reasonably long story of the build of the Titan. I'll start with a bit of background.

Late 2012 we had the Titan to pull our 21' Roo TT, it also shuttled the dog, dirt bikes, canoes, SUPs, mountain bikes and kids on a regular basis. We then bought a 2012 Jeep JKU Sahara with the intent of making that our family expedition vehicle.

With a two year plan to travel across the Mojave Road. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the first mods on the Jeep, thinking about storage, worrying about the Jeep's payload, wondering if I should get an air-locker, debating wheels, water storage, roof racks, etc. All while standing outside my daughter's school, staring across the street at my lovely Titan, when it hit me, how simple and great would it be to use the Titan. And so it began...

The vitals:
2012 Nissan Titan Pro-4X CC
Black
BFG ATs

Only accessory so far is the softopper, which I love, but will not be keeping on the truck as we move along.

I'll post some pics

bijanjames

Adventurer
I agree with your decision to use the Titan over the JK, especially with a family. Most Overland Jeep set ups incorporate a trailer, which is almost necessary as space is a premium. What are your plans? Lift, armor, living accommodations, etc...

Stokelyvancamp

I just ordered a Tepui Gran Sabana. We liked the size and the fact they had a Canadian distributor. Liked the annex with the ladder inside for the late night potty runs with the kids.

Also ordered the front runner slimline II. Looked at doing a custom over the bed rack, but was thankfully talked out of it. The slimline has the height we wanted and I like the integrated tie downs an accessories. Added a hi-lift mount and the bottle opener. Still need to get the hi-lift.

For this summer looking at a little heater (Mr Buddy) for the annex, a potty for the kids and likely a newer bigger cooler (Thinking Yeti). We have pretty much everything else from doing a lot of tenting in the past, pre-kids, and having the TT.

Probably need a good solid folding table. And need to figure out an awning over the tailgate.

Then next year will do some armour, thinking just the PRG fox front and rear, better ride and level it out, and some new tires.

Open to any suggestions and advice.

Stokelyvancamp

I agree with your decision to use the Titan over the JK, especially with a family. Most Overland Jeep set ups incorporate a trailer, which is almost necessary as space is a premium. What are your plans? Lift, armor, living accommodations, etc...

Thanks for the reinforcement, really wanted to stay away from a trailer, looking for the RTT route to simplify our lives...

Stokelyvancamp

Thanks for the info gents. Ordered the slimline rack on Sunday, it shipped out Monday, that's great service. Have a road trip on the 10th, so will likely install after I get back

Stokelyvancamp

Haha, thanks, so here it is. Man I hate the rake on this thing stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Jkenosh

Observer
I have a 2012 Titan also. Looking forward to watching your build. I see a lot of frontiers and xterra but not many Titans I love my Titan. Lots of power and room

Stokelyvancamp

Awesome Jkenosh.

Slimline II arrived today, probably the best US to Can shipping I've experienced. Ordered last Sunday, really looking forward to unpack and install, but I have a road trip this weekend, so will have to wait...

Stokelyvancamp

Rack is going on today, really excited as there is a good chance I can get the softopper on over the rack... This would be extremely great

Stokelyvancamp

Rack is on, couple minor glitches, first no instructions for mounting it to the truck.... And the files are not available on the website... However, looked at some pictures, and mostly figured it out, will try and get the instructions and see if I did it right. Mounting the track to the factory utilitrack was counter intuitive, my Dad was over for father's day and helped figure that one out.
I like the rack, the height is what I wanted, could be a little longer, the tent is going to overhang on the length... But that's probably fine.

Quality is very impressive, very solid.

And the tent has shipped, so should be here this week.

In other news, the check engine light came on yesterday, so truck is at the dealer to get checked tomorrow...

Little bit hard to see the rack, was rushing...

View attachment 291403

Stokelyvancamp

The tent is mounted, looks like it will be ideal. Space inside is about right for the 4 of us. Really happy with the rack height and the fact that the tent sits at about cab height. Will take a few more shots when I try the annex out.

Engine light was the old "Loose Gas Cap". So that's positive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member