Anyone in Texas with an OME, Slee or ICON suspension on a 100 series?

fishead

Observer
I recently bought a 2004 100 and I'm putting together a budget for my build. I'm going to need a different suspension since I'm adding drawers, one or two bumpers, winch, sliders, skids and some other stuff. I'd like the OME, especially since it sounds like a set it up and forget it thing but I have upper and lower back issues and I've read that the OME can be kind of firm, which might not work with my back. The Icon Stage 3 sounds interesting since I could set it up softer for my back but it's much more money and sounds like it requires more maintenance. Before I spend my hard earned money one way or another, is there anyone in Texas-near Dallas or Ft Worth would be best-that has any of these suspensions on a 100 who would be willing to let me ride around for a few minutes to get a feel for how they feel? Thanks.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
OME has a bunch of different spring rates available for the 100 series. Some will for sure be stiff, some will be much plusher. If I were you I'd give Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters a call and discuss options first. Find out which springs will be best for you (rather than drive an "OME equipped" truck and assume they all ride the same). There is a massive difference from one spring rate to the next, with about 6 to 8 choices for the 100.

fishead

Observer
I'm in Sachse. I've got an OME setup on my 06. You're welcome to stop by and take a drive in it.

Thanks very much for the offer. After talking with some shops I decided to just go with an Icon setup. My back has some real issues so I decided to go an adjustable setup.

fishead

Observer
OME has a bunch of different spring rates available for the 100 series. Some will for sure be stiff, some will be much plusher. If I were you I'd give Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters a call and discuss options first. Find out which springs will be best for you (rather than drive an "OME equipped" truck and assume they all ride the same). There is a massive difference from one spring rate to the next, with about 6 to 8 choices for the 100.

Thanks for your feedback. I didn't think they'd all ride the same. I have different mountain bike springs that change the feel of my bikes but I'm going to be adding a fair amount of weight to my LC and figured, based on my research, that I'd need the heavy springs.

TexasTundra

Observer
Thanks very much for the offer. After talking with some shops I decided to just go with an Icon setup. My back has some real issues so I decided to go an adjustable setup.

Let us know how you like the Icons. I'm about to order some for my truck.

Yotard

I just picked up a 99 in Round Rock. I am rocking 315s on stock lift and need to pick a suspension setup soon. Give us your input guys.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I have ridden in several 100s with different suspensions, I think most of the comments about stiff ride in a 100 series is relative to the persons experience levels and expectations (either correct or false). The factory ride although smooth is also not that responsive nor optimized for Offroad travel. I think any of the brands you are looking at will provide a great ride and lift within the parameters of design they were intended for. I think you're being wise to try and get an actual real world feel for different suspensions. That said, I had read a lot of Internet opinions that said OME was harsh, stiff and jarring. I rode in a friends who had the heavy springs and his 100 is nicely built but heavy (armored, drawers, fridge, RTT etc) and I thought the ride was fantastic. YMMV.

ExPo4Runner

Land Cruiser Fanatic
Its mostly the shocks that make the OME ride so bad. I haven't lifted my LX yet, but when I do I am going with the Ironman 2" lift with foam cell shocks. From what I've researched, it is a great system! But I can't provide experienced input, only stuff I've heard on mud or other forums.

TexasTundra

Observer
I don't know if you've made a decision yet but I'll vouch for the Icons. I just installed a set of their standard coilovers in the front and bypass shocks in the rear.

At first I thought it was a bit stiff, but the problem was that I was comparing them to my old suspension that was completely useless by that point. After riding in my friend's '16 F-150 Platinum, they felt very similar in ride. Still a bit firmer on the road than a stock 100 or LX470, but not jarring. I was feeling satisfied, until this weekend when I finally got to try them in the dirt. Oh man, they come alive over bigger bumps. It's such a weird feeling bracing for an impact like you're used to and not feeling anything. The bump absorption was shocking (haha). Definitely happy with my setup, especially since I maintained my load carrying capability by not going with Deavers or other softer springs.

85x85

I've had the OME 2.5 "medium" kit from slee for about 6 months on my 99. I think what gets most people is that they are usually updating a ~15 year old vehicle with 100k+ miles on the stock suspension which is REALLY soft... the contrast is a bit extreme.

From my experience, you definitely don't get it all (like with an ICON stage 3 setup) with the OME kit. OME is durable, works well under loads an offroad (which is what its designed for). Admittedly, on torn up city streets with nothing in the vehicle and no heavy mods (bumpers, winch, sliders or drawers) it is definitely more like riding in what you would expect a lifted truck to feel like. That said, the OME shocks are a fraction of what stage 3 ICONS or FOX etc will run you. So, if budget is a concern you kinda have to deal with it riding a bit stiff when there is nothing in the truck. If not, get the ICON stage 3s and enjoy the adjustability.

Hope that helps :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94