Windows 10 has arrived

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft promises to release the next version of Windows on July 29. Here's an article that tells current Windows owners how to get a copy
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Microsoft says this will be the last "version" of Windows. Updates, bug fixes and improvements will be automatically downloaded to your Windows PC / laptop / tablet / phone. So you won't be able to wait for Windows 10.1. However, waiting a couple of weeks for others to try the new OS on hardware similar to yours would probably be a smart idea.

Here are a couple more articles about the new OS

Which features will not be present in Windows X
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...tures-windows-10-will-remove-when-you-upgrade

Which versions of Windows can upgrade for free
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...upgrade-matrix-which-version-you-get-for-free

More answers
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3898/a-few-more-answers-about-windows-10-upgrades

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The new features in 10 are awesome. Also, There are plenty of people using 10 right now. I decided to not download the developer preview but have been talking with many people using it and they say its an awesome OS. I will be downloading on release day!

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I too will be downloading on release day. I love Windows 8.1, but miss some of the stuff from W7, and it looks like W10 is the answer to that end. I do have another computer for video editing that is still running W7 (it was a downgrade thing, and I didn't know how well 8.1 coped with Premiere Pro at the time), but I am seriously considering upgrading that one too after a few reports are back with regards to P-Pro compatibility.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I was about to re-install Win 7 anyway due to general system clutter on my main desktop, I think I'll go for Win 10 soon after it comes out. I think I want a little feedback first, but I'm not going to worry about it too much. Biggest worry I have is software compatibility.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
"Windows Updates. This is the most interesting one. In previous Windows versions, you could control how updates were installed. But those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically. Only Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will be able to defer updates."

I'm sure MS will make sure they never again release a fix that breaks things. :coffee:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I have Windows 8.1 Pro, so it will upgrade to a version that doesn't auto-update if I don't want it to.

KMET

Adventurer
I'd been following this until learning Media Center (WMC) had been dropped. I strongly disagree with this, when first released back in 2004 they may have over estimated it's appeal.

2004 still saw high VHS sales, Blockbuster on every corner of Main street USA and Netflix poised to offer video on demand service over the Internet.

It wasn't until 2006 television manufactures included QAM tuners inside their TV sets, also in 2004 Hauppauge introduces Dual Tuner NTSC/ATSC/QAM PCI Express TV tuner card. They were the only reliable source back then.

Today we have companies like Silicondust and Ceton that offer superb products that work seamless with Media Center. Computers have gotten smaller too , you can now mount an Intel NUC, or Raspberry Pi behind your flat-screen, quite frankly, these products make smart-TV's seem silly.

Just when things (...and people) were catching up, Microsoft drops it.

Oh, well.......

kojackJKU

There will probably be a new app developed for that. everything in 10 will be app based. So fear not. I am sure there will be something better coming along in short order for that.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
No, everything will not be app based. I will be able to run the same programmes as I do on 8.1: Real desktop apps. And with the added bonus of an actual start menu (again).

kojackJKU

Oh, I know that, but I think there will be a push for new software to be "app" based. So that it can be used on anything running 10. That's the idea behind 10. One program......all platforms. Awesome if you ask me. Universal apps is the future. Windows just have to market it and put out some nice new phones. They have the desktop/notebook thing covered, the tablet is the best on the market in the surface series, and they just have to refresh the Lumia 1020 and they will be in business.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Yeah, unless you actually work on your computer where you need actual programmes. I do video and audio editing for about 70 percent of my income. I rarely use "apps", except for parking payments, weather, and such things. I also prefer my work emails to be in a proper programme with a full feature set. You know, like Outlook for the desktop.

The last thing I want is my computers to be dumbed down to the level of phones. If I wanted a tablet with the same shortcomings as a phone, I would not need an actual computer. I would have bought a tablet or a physically big phone.

Last edited:

jm38827

I still use winxp on my machine that does not connect to the internet. It works fine is not broken and does what i want it to do. A lot of the time i edit documents that are 8 to 15 thousand pages long. I tried 7 and 8 they both choked on them. Xp runs them without a hickup. I also do a lot of 3 to 4 gig video editing.
7 and 8 did not do as good as job as xp does. I have 3 digitial tv tuner cards and i do not like how they work on 7 and 8.

I use a version of 7 for the internet but that is all. All windows 8 and beyond are are just phone apps that have had the graphics expanded to fit properly on the desktop screen. If i want to use apps i will get a smart phone or a tablet not on a deaktop work machine. Just my opioion.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
3-4 gigs is absolutely nothing when editing video.

As for TV cards, I have no experience to that end.

I run 8.1 on one of my computers, and I expect to upgrade the Windows 7 video editing machine too. Windows 8 (and soon 10) is capable of running desktop programmes. I rarely use "apps" except for noncritical things such as weather and parking payments. I use real desktop programmes on my 8.1 laptop as I mentioned. I don't know where you got the idea that it is only for "apps". I even log into the desktop.

kojackJKU

I used to be like that, but for photo editing I now use photor. It does everything I want to do. Now, I feel yes, that full blown programs are better, but not necessary for 90 % of the population. And yes, I will still load on my full blown photo and video editing programs, but most times the "app" based programs will be fine. I think outlook will go "app" based. You will not know any difference other than you will download it from the store instead of the website.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I dabble in photo editing, so Win 10 better be more "work" oriented.

I've heard Microsoft is finally catching on that they are the "work" OS and embracing the position in Win 10, and I'm glad to see it if it's true. Apple can appease all the hipsters tweeting and facebooking and texting about the latest stupid fad. But when it comes time to pull up your sleeves and do something complex, technical, and meaningful, you find just about all those types sitting behind a Windows OS running on a huge Desktop, a precision mouse, full featured keyboard, and at least two 26" monitors in front of them like the cockpit of a star-ship. (a.k.a something like my office...)

I need a powerful laptop for school soon. Windows has been my only option when considering my possibilities. Linux is cool and I like it, but I'm in a college Engineering program, and am employed in an engineering field as well. In a work/school environment, I need it to work, not play with VM's and unsupported builds intended to throw a bone at other OS's. I need to run stuff like Creo, Solidworks, and all the normal office programs, dumbed down apps are not an option.

I have an iPad, it's handy as the pocket on a shirt. But it's no computer. I still refuse to own a smartphone. I have on old school flip phone that is cheap as dirt and makes phone calls what few times I have to talk while on the go. Computers are where work lives. It may be a small segment of the overall whole, but the people getting complex jobs done use PC's, not mobile devices. I doubt anyone at Microsoft is coding the OS using a smartphone. Save those for salesman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94