Windows 10 has arrived

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I already told you.

Nice dodge from you, though. "Look, squirrel!"

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
No you haven't, I must have missed it if you did. I am serious....I was wondering what you did and the software you use...don't need to be an *** about it.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Then reread the thread. I did mention a few programmes. I'm sorry if I came across as an ********. I am just tired of this discussion as I really don't care what OS people use, or what software (apps or programmes) people use to get the work done. And I'm looking forward to W10 because there are new features and reintroduced features in it that I would like to have (back).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I do 80% of my work either on a samsung note 4, hp stream 7 (windows tablet), or a 1st generation ipad mini. Heavy lifting is done on a surface pro 2 and before that a 1st generation MacBook air. I'm hoping more app builders catch on to windows. Windows 8 tablets would have been fine if they had good app support.

Office 365, salesforce, gotomeeting, excel and PowerPoint and i am to go on any platform. I just need a bluetooth headset that can handle lots of talk time.

I can say in my industry, tech sales, is pretty much capable of moving to 100% tablets. The next generation of windows tablets running the latest Intel atom processors (or equivalent) will be plenty of horse power.

I'd have to say, based on the apps you've listed, the comment about Atom processors, and your choice of machines for "heavy lifting", that your overall computer usage is very lightweight compared to.... just about everyone I know. Granted, I work in the Architectural & Construction industry, using programs like Revit, AutoCAD and Bluebeam. In that environment, I have a dedicated PC with a fast hybrid drive running 16GB of RAM on Windows 7, though probably 50% of my work is done on a MacBookPro.....running Windows 7 in Parallel :)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
nwoods, that's exactly what I was doing up to two years ago too. Since ditched that job. Was doing it for over 12 years and had enough. I was using autocad, turbocad, sketchup and more. Now, I use my computer for cutting out stuff with the cnc machine and tuning motorcycles.

I am looking forward to Windows 10. I like 8 but I wish it was a little more fluid between the tiles and the desktop. I wonder how well Cortana is going to work or if it is just a gimmick.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I wonder how well Cortana is going to work or if it is just a gimmick.

I think both. It's going to work uncomfortably well, and it will quickly become dis-used by everyone not in the habit of NOT typing their queries. Did you see the Google I/O conference keynote address? What Google, Apple (iOS9), and now Microsoft are doing with contextually aware, natural language comprehension is as scary as it is impressive, both incredibly powerful and handy, and uber creepy.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
MS, always on the cutting edge. Introduced speech recognition in Windows 10 years after IBM introduced it in OS/2.

TommyG

Adventurer
So can you reject the upgrade? I am not a power user per se but I am very happy with 7 and would like to just stick with it.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I for one am going to take the free upgrade.If nothing else just to force myself to keep up with the operating system.I was one of the xp hold outs and the jump to this 8.1 was hard.

I am also somebody that has never even texted in my life.my phone is a verizon flip phone.What I am getting at is much of the app based operating systems is useless to me.

Please somebody tell me how to get rid of this damn charms bar in 8.1.I hate it!!!I am hoping that I am not the only one and it goes away with 10.

I still have a trusty 7 machine that will stay unmolested.My shop computer is still xp.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Its free and will be supported long after 7 is no longer supported. I like free and I like support. I hated win8. I think and I hope its going to be much better.

18seeds

Explorer
I'd have to say, based on the apps you've listed, the comment about Atom processors, and your choice of machines for "heavy lifting", that your overall computer usage is very lightweight compared to.... just about everyone I know. Granted, I work in the Architectural & Construction industry, using programs like Revit, AutoCAD and Bluebeam. In that environment, I have a dedicated PC with a fast hybrid drive running 16GB of RAM on Windows 7, though probably 50% of my work is done on a MacBookPro.....running Windows 7 in Parallel :)

Yeah heavy lifting for me may be a large speadsheets with fuzzy lookups and pivot tables. Most of my time is spent on the phone, plane, business meals, making pitches.

I just hired a guy to do corp type videos and he's asked for a beefy MacBook and a bunch of camera gear. His heavy lifting is still very limited compared to what are talking about here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke