Thoughts on the new f-150

Pilotamis

Observer
I ended up ordering the 2015 F-150 with the HD payload and extended range fuel tank along with a few other nice factory mods only to find out Ford isn't going to produce any this year. The HD payload has a heavier frame than the standard frame and Ford isn't able to get any. Now I'm stuck waiting till August to reorder and hope they make them in the first half of the new model year. Really don't want to wait till after Christmas.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I know three dads with the Ecoboost F150 the oldest is I think the first year it was offered and the newest being brand new paper plates and all. They all have said the same thing get it because its a great truck do not buy it thinking it will get good mileage. LOL They all tell me they get horrid mileage and the one guy that really hates the truck bought it thinking he could have a big truck and good mileage too. Which case he doesn't get good mileage and his wife is always complaining that he steels her VW TDI when needs to drive to meetings farther than the office.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I ended up ordering the 2015 F-150 with the HD payload and extended range fuel tank along with a few other nice factory mods only to find out Ford isn't going to produce any this year. The HD payload has a heavier frame than the standard frame and Ford isn't able to get any. Now I'm stuck waiting till August to reorder and hope they make them in the first half of the new model year. Really don't want to wait till after Christmas.

That's dumb. Why have it as an option if you cant order it? Did you proceed with the order or did you pull back?

OCD Overland

Explorer
From what I've read elsewhere, the frame plant isn't able to keep up with production yet, so they've elected to concentrate on the most popular versions. I think next-year's model is supposed to get the much improved Sync 3, along with a nice trailer backup system - and surely there will be reliability improvements as they get the production bugs worked out - so there are additional incentives to waiting if you can.

Pilotamis

Observer
From what I've read elsewhere, the frame plant isn't able to keep up with production yet, so they've elected to concentrate on the most popular versions. I think next-year's model is supposed to get the much improved Sync 3, along with a nice trailer backup system - and surely there will be reliability improvements as they get the production bugs worked out - so there are additional incentives to waiting if you can.

Exactly. It may work out really well for me now. I suddenly have the chance to work in Saipan for a year so I'm pursuing that. I'll look at ordering a few weeks before I come back and be set to go. Of course that all hinges on if I actually get this job. If not the wife and I decided we'll order the HD payload 150 in August when they open up and just wait it out. The older Sync was garbage from what I've read so that will be a nice upgrade.

RoyJ

Adventurer

To be fair though, almost all of our current trucks would fail this test horribly. Unless your chassis structure is specifically designed for this extreme test (40 mph into a barrier overlapping 25% of width), there's nothing there to dissipate the crash energy.

Even some very solid built Euro and domestic sedans perform poorly - the Taurus, which is based on the Volvo S80, one of the safest sedans in its time.

AR-141009917.jpg&MaxW=622&cci_ts=20141002161252

Contrast that with the 2015 Hyundai Genesis, which WAS specifically designed to excel in small overlap.

maxresdefault.jpg

OCD Overland

Explorer
Ford's response -

Ford responded to Automotive News by saying that it will add “countermeasures” to 2016 regular-cab and extended SuperCab F-150s, telling the publication that “the type of countermeasure and structure will vary by cab type.” In a statement to Car and Driver, Ford says, “We addressed the IIHS small overlap front crash in our high-volume SuperCrew first, which accounts for 83 percent of 2015 F-150 retail sales. We are adding countermeasures in the SuperCab and the regular cab in the 2016 model year. Based on the IIHS data, both vehicles offer similar occupant protection levels [as the SuperCrew]. The F-150 program was well under way when this test was introduced in 2012. We are evaluating which specific changes we will make to the SuperCab and regular cab. It is important that any changes do not compromise performance on other crash tests.”

Video -

Here's the video of the rear end crash comparisons -

These trucks are definitely going to be a bit more expensive to fix in accidents like that, though I'd be curious what percentage of their repair bill was for replacing the LED headlight. I think a better bumper and some headlight protection might be in order if you're taking one of these off road. From what I've read on other forums, however, it seems like the insurance rates for these trucks are no higher than previous models. If the repair cost is indeed higher, then it's being offset in the insurance rates by better safety measures like lane keeping, blind spot detection, 360 camera, etc. So at least for now, these won't cost the owners any more than any other brand or any past model. Whether tests like this and real world data will change that we'll have to see.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Neighbor has had his new 2.7L Ecoboost for a few weeks now and he's been pretty impressed. He replaced a mid 90's f150 with it. 20mpg around town seems to be his going average and his few trips up to his cabin about a 5hr drive he's seen 24-26mpg which is pretty damn good. He has the crew cab short bed with a basic shell on the bed. So far we're pretty impressed with our new Ford Fusion Energi plugin we bought a few weeks ago also. Heated/cooled seats and 20+mpg if you keep your foot out of it makes the new F150 very interesting. Our typical around town mileage on our 2.5L Subaru is about 24mpg and our road trips in a clean format no trailer or roof gear typically is 28-30mpg with some trips getting 32mpg averages. However pack with roof rack gear and we easily see 25-27mpg averages. The F150 2.7L is not that far off from the subaru but offers more seating room higher end interior options and far superior load capacity. Sure has me contemplating the idea of a F150 replacement for the subaru and our Sequoia replace two machines with one.

r3run33

Adventurer
in the video he said Ford is studying the extended cab results!! Meaning they are trying to fix it or trying to find out how to fix it! I would not recommend the extended cab. I almost got a raptor but the price was to inflated for my taste. I do have a buddy that has a 2013 raptor and all is good except for the 4WD switching unit (i think its called the IWF or something) I don't think the new ones are any different. I think the 2016 will have a new unit??? but not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94