Thoughts on the new f-150

Pilotamis

Observer
My wife and I are about to place an order for a 2015 F-150 CC LB. Originally I was 100% sold on a 2015 Frontier. After a few conversations with my wife about it I could tell she wasn't thrilled about the Frontier. Since this was going to be her DD for the time being she really needed to be on onboard with whatever we were buying. We decided that today that we would hit the Ford, Ram and Nissan dealers and do a comparison of each truck. Immediately we both loved the F-150. The extra room (2 kids in car seats), payload, stance, interior functionality and power won us both over. Price tag sucks but we felt worth it over the Frontier. Our plan is to have this truck for a very long time. It's going to be worked and used as an overlanding truck could expect to be. No rock crawling or mud bogging but driven over washed out roads and taken into the backcountry. Do you think with all the new technology being used on a truck that it will hold up? I'm worried that with the twisting and vibrations the addhesive will break or loosen up. I'm worried about the galvanic corrosion and where I'd get it repaired if something happens to the body. Are these valid concerns or do you feel confident in it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I didn't know they offered a CC long bed 4x4?

I wouldn't sweat the Aluminum. The tech has been on the shelf for 20 years now at Ford. It's only recently that people are willing to pay extra for Al bodies, and that the price of producing such has come down as well. HMMVV's have been aluminum for a long time.

Hound

Sheepdog
Can't speak to the 2015s, but I have owned a 2010 and 2014 F150 and have nothing but good things to report on both. I would not hesitate as a result of the new Aluminum body if I was in the market for a new truck.

warejn

Observer
Colorado Dept of Trans. Has started buying them for the supervisor trucks.

The guys love them so far, not many miles yet (60k or so) but I work with a couple of them and they love the trucks. They are driven pretty hard and no issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilotamis

Observer
Great news. Thanks! My wife's car is about to explode so I need something ASAP. Love them from the test drive. Scouring the Ford forums most problems seem to be electronic, Ecoboost, paint and doors. None of which worry me to much. 5.0 and not much for upgrades here. Looks like I'm ordering tomorrow.

Freebird

Adventurer
FWIW, Audi A8 (high end lux model) has been all aluminum unibody since introduced in 1997, and they have held up very well indeed.
All the auto manufactures have been closely watching this car. This process was jointly developed by Audiwith Alcoa.
Ford jointly developed an aluminum Jag with Jaguar while Jag was owned by Ford.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...uar-helped-build-fords-confidence-in-aluminum

This success and other aluminum panels/hoods/trunks by other manufactures have all encouraged Ford to take this bold step with their pickup that helps keep Ford financially healthy with their big sales numbers.

I think there will be no surprises down the road (pun?) with the aluminum body on their high strength steel frame underneath.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Ford has been dying to make an aluminum body truck for a long time. The way they rust proof the steel trucks is a clue. They've been wanting to push a rust free body for a long time. Although since most plow trucks are Fords up here, they kind of get a bad rap because those are exposed to so much salt. I'd imagine the Superduties will be next in a few more years.

Used to be too expensive. Now it's cheaper to make, and people don't mind paying extra anymore.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I recently picked up a 2011 FX4 CC with the ecoboost, max tow and all the other crap.

awesome truck. Already have out 11k miles on it since Thanksgiving. Leaving in 9' days for a 6k mile road trip towing a trailer through CO and AZ.

We bought it cause of the backseat room. The thing is huge! I can sit back there after setting the front seat for me. You will not regret the purchase.

Raul B

Explorer
I don't have a new one but I haven't had any problems with my 2012 5.0l. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have owned 3 fords since 2004, all worked great, but their fuel sending unit crap out on each of them leaving me stranded. NO FUEL to the motor. Other than that, they have been flawless. I drove the new aluminum version with the un boosted v6. I loved it. I really want one but I have to many in the fleet now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier