NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

So I've heard. Then I can get my old LR3 magic 8 ball out so when the 'transmission fault/HDC systems off/etc' warning comes on I can shake it to determine if I check the brake switch, the brake light bulbs, height sensors, EAS block, or the sunroof drain/windshield cowling ingress points first....

I'll stick with the sag :)

If I close my left eye, it looks level! Far easier than any of the other troubleshooting nonsense above! :Wow1: haha haha

Hmm, I will add them to my list of ideas for my webstore. A Rover magic 8 ball would be a fantastic gift.

You already have a Rover Magic 8-Ball; we all do! It's in the shape of a tool kit but unfortunately it is not far advanced enough to tell us which tool to use just yet!

Ray_G

Explorer
New wheel color, new shoes (275/65/18 KO2s).

68d4aaf2721050318c0ff8d3b3f4c152.jpg

d69a22da423bda45bc88c845382b5919.jpg

At least it will be easy to remember when I put them on:
6aafbaf0098a054fef026947adc5494e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks guys, I have to admit I was impressed with how it turned out since it was the dupli-color wheel paint. As everyone notes, prep is key.

We'll see how it holds up but as I was painting the wheels I noted that not a single one of them was what I'd call excellent condition. Some are very good mind you, but all have nicks and such as you'd expect from wheels that live on trucks that are used as intended. That helped assuage my doubts about rattle can vs powder coat-and now I know if I ding them up, grab a can off the shelf and on a nice day touch it up.

The plasti-dip looked decent a year ago but was def showing its age and now that I have gunmetal I recognize I should have done this long ago but had always planned on doing it as I swapped on the KO2's-which I'm also VERY happy with.

Now...now I can't procrastinate too much more on the aux fuel tank, particularly given the OME coil spring research.
r-
Ray

ColoDisco

Explorer
You've convinced me, gunmetal is where I want to go however I need to source a old set of center caps. Ones I have now are off a 2016 Range Rover and don't want to paint them.

I am seriously wanting the aux fuel tank as well. Will be watching how it goes.

userg3

It was worth it; really, really worth it:
View attachment 288470View attachment 288469
*Ignore the fuzzy dice, they were a 'gift' during a road trip and I am banned from removing them from the vehicle by the better half.

I got the full piping with black as the primary color and charcoal for the piping. I got map pockets for the back of each seat, as well as the little pockets on the front-those I think are unnecessary because when you tighten down the cover they tend to drift off the placement you'd need to make those useful. They were a pain to get on, as one would expect if you've ever gotten into a wetsuit it is kinda like putting one on your seat...inside the car...and then having to reach under the seat with the motor(s) and such to tighten it all down. Budget a few hours to install. If you are doing it in a parking garage in Abu Dhabi, make sure you drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration.

The covers are very comfortable, adding some cushion to the seat and even when in direct sunlight they don't quite burn your exposed skin the way the leather does. The arm rest covers are a nice touch as they add some cushion to that as well which you notice on drives compared to when they were absent. I'm not sure how I'll feel about them when we go back to a colder climate since I've heard they will reduce the seat heater's effects but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. We shall see how they last, for this application I think they will be perfect. Just like I think the canvas Kexby's in the D1 are appropriate since that vehicle has a harder life and sees harsher treatment. If I were taking a diesel D3 across Australia or throughout South Africa I'd probably go canvas, but if you're looking for something to protect your leather, cushion your bum, that stays with the relative elegance and luxury of the vehicle these are worth the cost.

Curious if you could expand on how these have aged with regular use? I'm on the hunt for an LR3 and several of the ones I have looked at have decently worn seats. I'm ok with that and thinking I would put covers on them but I really don't like the look of a loose seat cover, do these still fit as snug as they did when you put them on? Thanks!

Ray_G

Explorer
Curious if you could expand on how these have aged with regular use? I'm on the hunt for an LR3 and several of the ones I have looked at have decently worn seats. I'm ok with that and thinking I would put covers on them but I really don't like the look of a loose seat cover, do these still fit as snug as they did when you put them on? Thanks!

The absolutely fit as tight as the first day I put them on. The only significant wear/tear I've noted is where I get in/out on the driver's side seat the black is starting to be more like dark gray....but it is something I notice because of how much I get in/out, how anal I am about things, etc. Across the board the rest of the seats-and even the driver's seat-more than look good, I'd say they still look great. I also have to acknowledge that some of the color fade is likely tied to them being black, a few years of living in the UAE, etc.

In short I'd highly reccomend them and if/when I ever need another set for a truck I want to keep nice and have people (as recently as last week) get into my truck and say 'oh wow, this thing is nice...you said this was an 06?!?' I'd get them again.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
A few weeks on KO2's

So a few weeks with the new shoes...first off, shortly after going on I did an alignment (another nice thing about coils...my local garage could do it without any utilization of the IID or what have you). Guess she needed it:
2017-03-13 16.54.54.jpg

Though only really in the back. That said, after the alignment the handling is better. Overall extremely happy with the KO2s, particularly in the recent snow we had last night.

All the sudden it has been 7500 miles...so last weekend saw another oil change.
2017-03-12 11.14.59.jpg

Also cool to open up the latest issue of Alloy and Grit and see my truck (twice technically, since the sunset pic is actually of my wife and I standing on top of her too)
2017-03-11 16.22.45.jpg
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior