How do you carry your fly rods?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I have a 4runner and commonly keep my flyrods put together and ready to go but im always worried they will get broken, actually last week one did and someone closed the door on my rod :(

Been trying to think of the best way to keep rods ready to go when im fishing allot and was wondering what others have done?

I was thinking it would be very cool to have strong magnets mounted to the headliner and you just grabbed the holder and stuck it to the roof when using.

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
I like to carry my rods rigged and we go off road with people and dogs, so for us, the roof rack is the only location available.

I made a two level roof box to carry rods and equipment. The top holds 5 fly rods and is 10' long overall. The lower section hold spinning rods and and misc, fish supplies. Both sections are hinged, so one or the other can open without disturbing the other section. The reels lay on their sides in foam cutouts with mounted guides to keep the rods seperated about 1/2 way along the box. The sections are lined. have separate SS clamp type latches on each section, and a single lock keeps things secure.

The box is made from 1/4" 5 ply plywood and and alder 1x material with a marine poly finish. It weighs about 18 pounds and is near waterproof, but a little rain will get in if heavy enough when driving, I added 4 SS clam shell vents in the front and rear sides and a couple of bottom drain holes.

These are the best pictures I have...

All in all it works really well and has held up to many tree branches on trails. Just an idea.

Attachments

• P1090586.JPG
    P1090586.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 133
  • P1090610.JPG
    P1090610.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 109

thefishhawk

Adventurer
What I always did was take some small diameter bungee type cord and put loops under the trim in the back window. The loop stretches around the the rod butt but then lays flat and out of sight when not in use. In the front you can use the visor, rearview, or a line across the roof above the front seats. if you wanted to use magnets you could do some of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Anglers-Accessories-Fly-Rod-Holder/dp/B0085EA4X6
you could also fashion something from one of those vehicle clothes rod things, but this is cheaper.

mine looks like this, this is in a Tahoe so the rods fit overhead without issue. In a smaller SUV you would probably want to do something more centered.

DSCN4544.jpg
DSCN4546.jpg
DSCN4547.jpg

CaliMobber

Adventurer
What I always did was take some small diameter bungee type cord and put loops under the trim in the back window. The loop stretches around the the rod butt but then lays flat and out of sight when not in use. In the front you can use the visor, rearview, or a line across the roof above the front seats. if you wanted to use magnets you could do some of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Anglers-Accessories-Fly-Rod-Holder/dp/B0085EA4X6
you could also fashion something from one of those vehicle clothes rod things, but this is cheaper.

mine looks like this, this is in a Tahoe so the rods fit overhead without issue. In a smaller SUV you would probably want to do something more centered.

Nice! I really like that looped idea, very clean and does not stick out when not in use.

doug720

Expedition Leader
People use PVC pipe for rod holders, so did I, and my experience was not good. The PVC type pipe allows the rods to bang and rub together and against the pipe on rough roads, in fact, even on smooth roads. Plus the rod eyes and reels get the same treatment. If the reels are not on the their sides, it means the eyes are rubbing on what ever enclosure is made of, not good.

For me, I see three good options, the hood to roof type exterior mount, hung on the interior ceiling, or a line and secured rod box.

dlh62c

Explorer
I made the switch to fishing Tenkara style. The rod telescopes down to 18" and all I carry is the rod, a single line and two to three flys.

onetraveller

Adventurer
I occasionally use a Yakima Rocket Box, although it won't fit a fully assembled fly rod so I have to at least break those into two pieces. But most of the time I keep mine broken down and in the carrying sock or tube. It only takes a few minutes to put it back together when I get there.

I have way to much invested in my gear to be careless with it. I'd much rather break a rod on a fish.

I can fit a cheap walmart redneck rifle rack in the side window of my Jeep's hardtop. It's a perfect fit for 4 piece rod tubes and socks.

Mike

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I just break down my fly rods and put them back in the tubes. The fly goes in the fly box and it along with my reel goes in the fly fishing bag. It takes less than 5 minutes for me to assemble my 4pc rods, put the reel on, string up the line, tie on a fly and start casting. No need to leave them fully rigged up unless I'm simply driving 10 minutes along the river to a new fishing spot. It's fly fishing, it's not a race to get on the water. It's a quiet, relaxing sport. :)

FlyJester

Adventurer
I just break down my fly rods and put them back in the tubes. The fly goes in the fly box and it along with my reel goes in the fly fishing bag. It takes less than 5 minutes for me to assemble my 4pc rods, put the reel on, string up the line, tie on a fly and start casting. No need to leave them fully rigged up unless I'm simply driving 10 minutes along the river to a new fishing spot. It's fly fishing, it's not a race to get on the water. It's a quiet, relaxing sport. :)

Exactly! :)

There are times when I'm driving to a new area to fish, and I don't feel like breaking my fly rod down, I just hold the rod out the window as I drive along. Not the smartest thing, but very simple solution.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing

Speak for yourself :)

I only have 30 minutes during lunch, I try to get as much time on the water as possible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles