GPS unit recommendations

BurbanAZ

Explorer
We have been using an iPad the last few years but I think I want as to try using a dedicated GPS for our main navigation tool. I'd like to try and stick with something that I can import tracks with from garmin basecamp, so basically just something that can use .gpx tracks.

I'd like something with a large screen, I'm just going to mount it with a ram mount probably. Also if like something that can save a large number of maps. I'm tired of having to download an area, then delete it after every trip then download another, which I have to do with pretty much all the mapping apps for tablets.

Anyone have any they recommend? I don't mind spending a little more for a good unit either, especially if it's something I can use for the next few years without needing to upgrade.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I really like my Garmin Nuvi 65LM. It has a larger than typical screen while staying relatively low cost with all the features you actually use. In my opinion in this kind of device excessive features is undesirable, it needs to do one thing and do it well.

I use Basecamp to make very complex routes and it does fair, although I do cuss it's re-routing calculations quite a bit. I doubt any unit of any price range will satisfy my needs there though. The trick is to get Basecamp and the Nuvi's route calculation settings the same, then use shaping points to make the route you want. Otherwise you make a route in Basecamp, then the Nuvi does whatever the heck it feels like. The way I travel I alternate road types frequently, from passing through cities to dirt roads, the unit keeps up well. But when your making changes on the fly, it can get on your nerves when it insists to route you to a hidden shaping point you specifically bypassed in the route menu, or dog legs you around tiny roads a 2 minute drive on a main road would avoid. Most of the time if I'm paying attention I can ignore it's stupid glitches and it catches on as soon as I pass the turn.

I was just in rural Arkansas and it did well on showing even little dirt roads on the pre-installed City Navigator. Since it's the LM version you can update the maps for the lifetime of the unit. I have not needed extra space yet, but I have the entire US on it, plus some trail maps from gpsfiledepot and it still has room, and the microSD slot is empty so I can add more if needed.

I use the Nuvi for primary navigation. I can and do mount my iPad in the center of the dash, I run MotionX on there for Topo mapping of the areas that will be more off pavement. It's also nice to use the iPad to scout the map when you need to alter your plans instead of fiddling with the Nuvi's more difficult interface. The Nuvi 65 can load Topo mapping, but I found for it's function as primary nav unit that is distracting and clutters the display.

I've found the combo of the Nuvi+iPad to work decently. The Nuvi is always there and the more complex iPad can be put away or ignored except for when you really want detailed information. It also cuts down on the mapping needed on the iPad, only the more tricky sections need to be considered, open road and towns are all on the Nuvi.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Why not use the IPad? Here is my set up - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/142635-Mid-to-upper-end-handheld-GPS/page2

Many here, including me, use them and once you do, a stand alone GPS seems a waste.

Go to the software forum and see the various mapping programs, and there are many to choose from.

It's easy to use and works great.

I always loved the iPad too because it could do everything in a single unit. The thing that drove me crazy was always downloading the maps and deleting them. If there was a way to get an iPad with an insane amount of memory or compressed files like I think the stand alone GPS units use then I'd love that.

I'm thinking I might try what airmapper suggested with using a GPS like the nuvi, then also using the iPad for really detailed stuff. Plus I'd still like to have the iPad for movies, music, etc.. If we want it.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
If you want to try Garmin devices then craiglist is your friend...
lots of deals on Nuvi's and other car devices for cheap money.
Just take it outside and plug it in to make sure it picks up satellites, do a quick route check and then hand over the $50 or so.

Make sure you get one with power cords and best if it has a SD slot so you can have more maps and data on the unit.

Route on Google Earth at home, import that into Basecamp then into the Garmin.

There are other ways to do it but that is simple.

Personally I love my Acer Netbook, but I need to borrow my wifes Ipad so I can figure out some options for when folks ask.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have a 64g Ipad gen1 and have the whole Western US in USGS topo and other formats, plus videos. pictures and much more, and have used about 30g's.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
If you want to try Garmin devices then craiglist is your friend...
lots of deals on Nuvi's and other car devices for cheap money.
Just take it outside and plug it in to make sure it picks up satellites, do a quick route check and then hand over the $50 or so.

Make sure you get one with power cords and best if it has a SD slot so you can have more maps and data on the unit.

Route on Google Earth at home, import that into Basecamp then into the Garmin.

There are other ways to do it but that is simple.

Personally I love my Acer Netbook, but I need to borrow my wifes Ipad so I can figure out some options for when folks ask.

Great idea about looking on craigslist, I'll grab one used so I can try it out and see if I like using it. That way if I go back to just using my iPad I'm not really out any money.

I have a 64g Ipad gen1 and have the whole Western US in USGS topo and other formats, plus videos. pictures and much more, and have used about 30g's.

WHat did u download the maps through? I have a 64g gen 1 iPad also which was what we were using, and I was using motion x and maps always seemed huge at a useable zoom.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I wanted to add this to my earlier post but didn't have access to it at the time, here is my "cockpit" using the Garmin and iPad together:

1HDXjCnlvHgl3aHX9xchy_X6mALSAGO2r91QR2rHMmQ=w1258-h944-no

DieselFi5e

Observer
Might I ask two things, why do you have two displays(garmin and ipad). Shouldn't one be efficient enough? Now don't get me wrong 1 is none, 2 is 1 is my gear philosophy but just was wondering the benefits of each. Also how does the ipad create a signal from the satellite if there is no wifi around(Might possibly be an extremely dumb question but I'm stumped). Thank you.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Might I ask two things, why do you have two displays(garmin and ipad). Shouldn't one be efficient enough? Now don't get me wrong 1 is none, 2 is 1 is my gear philosophy but just was wondering the benefits of each. Also how does the ipad create a signal from the satellite if there is no wifi around(Might possibly be an extremely dumb question but I'm stumped). Thank you.

Ideally, I'd love one display. I understand some apps may allow this, but the Garmin is a much more reliable road nav unit than my iPad. I can program the Garmin to a route, then still have turn-by-turn guidance that can sometimes reasonably recalculate if I'm forced to deviate from my plan.

Bottom line, given the App's I have found for the iPad, none offer the reliability or independence from data connections the Garmin does. The Garmin never needs a data signal aside from GPS, has massively larger internal storage for maps which by default has road and POI data for the entire US, something my 16GB iPad can't touch. I also don't have to worry about having the data downloaded properly, if the App will work, it's a pretty basic device, a lot less to go wrong and a lot less fiddling to make it work. If all else fails, enter your destination and follow it, might not be as interesting a drive, but it will get you to point B in an unfamiliar area.

The iPad is just for secondary uses and I technically don't need it up there 100% of the time. The Topo maps on it do not auto-route, but show a lot more detail for when I'm off pavement. I can scout the map without disturbing my Garmin, and it's much easier to pan and zoom around. If I'm paying for data connection, it's also handy to stop on top a hill and check the web for information if needed, and heck, if I'm in a well covered area, it's also nice to stream music to the vehicle's audio system when I get tired of hunting for local FM stations. It can be a redundancy for the Garmin if something terrible happens. I do try to keep paper maps as well, although I'm not as religious about that as I should be.

My iPad (and all 3G cellular iPads) actually has an internal GPS receiver, so it can fix it's position anywhere without data connections. So in my case that is easy, no bluetooth GPS needed.

DieselFi5e

Observer
I appreciate that break down that all makes sense to me! I have always had signal and haven't gone off the grid to see if gps still tracks, but that makes sense. Have you ever tried to do trips solely with paper maps to keep it interesting?

robgendreau

Explorer
I appreciate that break down that all makes sense to me! I have always had signal and haven't gone off the grid to see if gps still tracks, but that makes sense. Have you ever tried to do trips solely with paper maps to keep it interesting?

Heh. Believe it or not, we got around just fine with paper maps. I was just in a nat'l forest and Garmin and most iPhone maps were crap; the rec USFS map saved the day...for me. My companions, using an iPad and a Garmin, trailed me by hours by following idiot directions those devices gave them. I did get the PDF Maps version when I got a signal though...it's pretty handy but it's way easier to use the USFS map as a tarp than the iPhone.

Paper maps are still best for longer range route planning IMHO, even over a computer screen. The AAA Western States Map is my most used map by far. There is an art to cartography; AAA has always been the best at putting down what you need, and eliminating distractions. Many other maps must, by necessity, include most everything and that is often too much and too little at the same time. On my last trip the AAA maps were even a touch better than the Benchmark maps, which I like a lot. Of course all this depends on your intended use. I use several devices, with and without GPS, with and without maps installed. Just different tools for different jobs; the compromises means one size rarely fits all.

DieselFi5e

Observer
Heh. Believe it or not, we got around just fine with paper maps. I was just in a nat'l forest and Garmin and most iPhone maps were crap; the rec USFS map saved the day...for me. My companions, using an iPad and a Garmin, trailed me by hours by following idiot directions those devices gave them. I did get the PDF Maps version when I got a signal though...it's pretty handy but it's way easier to use the USFS map as a tarp than the iPhone.

Paper maps are still best for longer range route planning IMHO, even over a computer screen. The AAA Western States Map is my most used map by far. There is an art to cartography; AAA has always been the best at putting down what you need, and eliminating distractions. Many other maps must, by necessity, include most everything and that is often too much and too little at the same time. On my last trip the AAA maps were even a touch better than the Benchmark maps, which I like a lot. Of course all this depends on your intended use. I use several devices, with and without GPS, with and without maps installed. Just different tools for different jobs; the compromises means one size rarely fits all.
Do you have a YouTube channel? I like subscribing to like-minded people. Especially of your rolling around the moab with you vehicle kitted up.

I agree with the paper maps, to me they are a simple read. I just need to figure out which ones are the best for the job.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I have my garmin now and still have my iPad that I was using. What I've decided to do though is mainly use paper maps, I usually use the benchmark maps, then I'll just use the iPad or garmin to see where I am on the map. It's still easier to plan where your going with a paper map I think, then just transfer that to basecamp and turn it into a track to have on the iPad to track position a little better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94