100 series low budget build

After searching for several months, I picked up my first car, a 1999 toyota land cruiser with 136,000 miles. Crazy how fast the low mileage ones can sell on the west coast, and when I saw the price I knew I had to act quick. After a quick inspection by toyota, I had it home(and ready for the first of many expensive fill ups). No real mods yet, but I did get factory size Yokohama Geolander at-s which are also surprisingly quiet on the street. No major build plans yet, need to save some money to use for trips, but I do hope to get a baja rack fairly soon, and possibly a few rotopax 4 gallon cans to help with fuel range, as I don't want to invest in a full rear bumper yet. Don't see it being lifted anytime soon either, as I need to use it to carry around my 1 year old yellow lab, and don't want to make if any tougher for him to jump in. First trip will hopefully be a few day camping trip with some friends for my birthday, still trying to figure out a good area to try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 79

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice pick for a first car! I wouldn't worry about a 2" lift causing a 1 year old lab problems. My 12 year old boxer could easily jump into the back of my Old Man a Emu equipped 100 series. That said, you don't necessarily need a lift to get a lot of places. It just makes it easier sometimes. Enjoy your new ride!

Benc

Explorer
Congrats! But you forgot to blank out your front plate:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
But you forgot to blank out your front plate:)

Why do people do this? Anyone walking down the street past your house can see your plate and where you live. I don't get what you gain by blocking out your plate?

Why do people do this? Anyone walking down the street past your house can see your plate and where you live. I don't get what you gain by blocking out your plate?

I think he was only saying that because in the pictures he had blocked out the rear plate, but not the front. I'm not sure why people do that either...

To be completely honest, I only blanked out the back because it was so obvious, and I've seen others do it and never knew why either. Oh well. I am considering a few things, the first being an air compressor, which I hope to get relatively soon, but I'm still on the fence about a roof rack. Has anyone put a baja rack on a stock 100? What was the change in mpg? I would like a roof rack to be able to mount a light bar as well as some rotopax cans, and obviously extra gear if needed(and I can still dream of a RTT one day).

fireball

Explorer
GamiViti. Their rack is great super low profile and customizable. You will need to build a proper wind fairing for the front otherwise the noise will drive you crazy.

I can't really comment on how much the rack alone will affect your mileage. I can tell you that we see about a one and a half to 2 miles per gallon decrease when we are fully loaded and ready for trips. This includes four family members and the dog, all our gear and the awning and big Thule box mounted on the rack. So I can't imagine that the rack alone would make that big of a difference but perhaps someone has more relevant experience and can chime in.

expeditionist

Observer
Congrats on the new purchase! I recently bought a '99 LX470 with 142K so I am right there with you on the build. No AHC to remove on yours so a budget lift would be cake. I think your canine friend will be impressed with the new stance of your beautiful lifted Land Cruiser. :)

As for the roof rack, unless you are planning a major expedition or maybe a RTT, I say throw your bucks at something else. Yes they can hold a lot of cool overland gear, and I do love the visual effect, but I don't like the noise and the higher COG. I think you can expect a 1-2MPG loss with any rack. That said, lots of people love their roof racks and there is no shortage of high quality designs if you decide to go for it. Looking forward to the build!

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I'm an Eezi Awn K9 guy myself. It came on the rig but I was already partial to their products. It has the lowest profile of any rack that I know of and it's incredibly lightweight for a full length rack. It pretty much kills the "low budget" principle but roof racks aren't exactly an inexpensive upgrade anyway. Have fun with your new ride!! :)

No one drives a 100 series if MPG is an issue.... lol I do understand, though. It's almost a personal challenge to maximize MPG's when at all possible. Mine is a complete PIG when fully loaded so I'm always watching the scangauge to see the difference as I carry different loads.

http://www.equipt1.com/i/roof-racks/toyota-land-cruiser-100

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I live about 3 minutes from Gamviti headquarters here in Colorado. They make amazing products and are probably the best value going aside from building one yourself. Great company run by true Crusier heads!

I'm building a 99 for family camping and its a great platform to explore in.

fireball

Explorer
We had the pleasure of meeting the GaMiViTi family in CO last summer, great folks and Tim even helped me install the roof rack I bought from him. How's that for service?!

Dualing roof rack install at the 100s in the Hills 2014 event (I purchased mine from Tim before the event and he delivered it, and the other fellow there won the rack that Tim donated for the prize raffle!):
IMG_2870.jpg

And to the OP, I specifically bought a 99 b/c I wanted the OEM rear locker and the rear AC for the dog. I built the following cargo drawer system/barrier to keep him safe back there. The rear AC vents are pointed right on him :)
IMG_2681.jpg

Bretthn

Explorer
Nice looking 100. I have been contemplating and wanting a rack since purchasing my LX but when it comes time to spend the money I keep reminding myself that I haven't had any issues with the roof top tent or awning being mounted to the factory roof rack. I still want one though...

Thanks everyone for the pictures and replies, I have been thinking a roof rack mainly because of being able to store rotopax on top for the very limited times I would need them. I know the raised center of gravity is bad, but I do not want to have to go to a full rear bar. As for the lift, I just got the new Yokohama tires, and don't want to have to invest in any more for now. I'm more hoping to spend my money on the travels, and while it does look fun to build up a rig, if I were to do that I wouldn't be able to afford to use it much! I also think a roof rack would be a good place for maxtrax, and maybe a roof top tent one day. On the off chance anyone knows the area, does anyone know of any good trails or just fire roads to explore in the greater Sacremento area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior