Rubber mat between the camper and truck?

Paul B.

Adventurer
Guy I got the camper from suggested laying a rubber mat between the plywood camper bottom and the steel truck bed. Any thoughts/experience w/this? What type, thickness?

Much appreciated are any responses.

ripperj

Explorer
Most do recommend a rubber mat, pretty much anything will keep it from sliding around.
The mat will get wet, so if the bottom of the camper is really plywood, you will want to shim it up a bit to allow the camper to dry out

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
A lot of people have pretty good success with the rubber mat but I chose to go the bedliner (Line-X) instead. As far as water in the bed, the FWC campers have 1x3 stingers that run the length of the camper floor to allow air circulation to aide drying. Personally I think the bedliner offers a more stable surface for the camper. I haven't experienced any movement or shifting of the camper. More importantly I haven't experienced any loosening of the turnbuckles that some have.

MYTACO

Adventurer
My son found that the foam panel insulation sheets worked perfectly. I used a rubber mat and had no issues. The Tacoma mat had ribs that allowed water to dry or move.

doctorit

Adventurer
I can't find it online anywhere, but I'm pretty sure I remember the instructions for my Torklift tie-downs going so far as to say that NOT using a rubber mat voids, or at least affects their warranty.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I used a rubber mat for the 15 years I had my camper. Camper was in the trucks for at least 75,000 miles and camper bottom still looked new when I sold it, and I live in the Northwet.

Seabass

Idiot
I use a stall mat. Actually two. They are 4'x6'X1". I have an 8' bed. So I cut a couple feet off one to get my full length. The stall mats are a little squishy and VERY grippy. They also allow some give for flexing off road. I needed a little more cab clearance too- so it was a win win.

tarditi

Explorer
there is dimple mat available for under flooring in basements - allows for some circulation to prevent mold & mildew. This may be an option, too - depends on how fancy you want to get, I suppose. The mat isn't super cheap.

rotti

Adventurer
I used a rubber mat for the 15 years I had my camper. Camper was in the trucks for at least 75,000 miles and camper bottom still looked new when I sold it, and I live in the Northwet.

X2
Used this: http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-accessories/75A3665A0A0.aspx?kc=googadw&k_clickid=7787e1b7-f052-6ee9-7238-000007cf3e64&adgroupid=895&k_trackingid=139x875067&gclid=ciyuhuev9sucfqieaqodat0a7w on my truck and FWC Grandby for 25 years. Great product and fits the bed exactly with wheel well cut outs.

On my new truck and Hawk I use the DeeZee mat on top of a Linex spray in liner. NO problems with loose turn buckles and if you ever haul a load of gravel your truck will thank you....

80 bucks and free shipping on Amazon

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm using a normal rubber mat that was made for my truck, and I wouldn't haul the camper without it. Mostly because on my truck, the tailgate is proud of the bed floor by about the thickness of the mat, so it evens out the bed floor with the tailgate, and keeps some of the weight of my camper off the gate. The tailgate on my truck is line-x'd, and the screws on the bottom of the camper have dug into the liner on the gate and made nice holes, so even with the ~3/8" thick mat, there's still significant weight on the tailgate.

I can't see how using a rubber mat of some kind could be bad... It certainly keeps the camper from shifting as much as it would on painted steel. I think LineX would be fine too, as it's somewhat grippy. IMO, tie downs do not really stabilize the camper that much from side to side, and in my case, the front and rear tie downs both pull slightly forward, so the bed mat helps keep it from shifting... It'll still scoot up against the front of the bed if I do rougher roads, but once it does, it doesn't go anywhere.
YMMV.
C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94