Sierra Challange 2015 Aug 31st - Sept 9th

Survey and Info

How about we have everyone complete there info so we know what is coming. This will help us judge capability, refine trails and schedule, parts supplies, tools....See what I did for myself at the end. We can update this through out the summer. Anything we should add?

Kevin, Pat '94 SR
John '89 SWB
Carlos 95 SR
Richard 03 Limited
Dan '95 SR, '89 Sidekick and '89 Montero LWB
Fast Eddy??
Monty Power
Off Roader???

Lloyd 1996 SR

Tires -- 37"
Traction -- 2 Lockers
Gears -- 4:1 and 4:90
Armor --Complete
Fire Extinguisher -- Yes
Ice or Fridge -- Fridge
Kids -- Not this year
Handy Specialty Items -- Hot shower (please be ready soon after stopping for camp), Redi Welder and welding gear, Oasis Air
Tools -- Full set, pickle fork, big crescents
Group Parts Supply -- Gen 2 front axles, front steering rod, front tie rods
Other Special Interests -- Ie Scenery, Historical, Kid related, fishing.......
Arrival Time -- Sunday night or Tuesday night(Sunday for me)

Oso

Forest Defecator
Kevin, Pat, John H and I in a '94 SR and '89 Montero SWB

CA we have Carlos, Richard and probably Dan '95 SR, '89 Sidekick and '89 Montero LWB

I heard a rumor of Fasteddy coming along, i think he's out of Oregon. He may ride with Dan if his rig isn't ready in time

Then Monty power and you Lloyd

Probably count on 5-7 trucks unless some more dudes here sign up.

Fast Eddy is seriously considering it. IIRC he's coming from Georgia. If he can get Yellow Daisy ready in time he might drive cross country. If not I've offered him shotgun in my rig. I'm in. It's wife approved. Just have to spend a few days wrenching to get ready for the trip. Barring blowing an axle on the way there (like I did headed to Moab in March) I'll see you guys in Wentworth - or maybe bishop if I can get away earlier. Coyote flats is nearby and on my list to vist this year. 2 birds - one stone kinda thing.

Oso

Forest Defecator
FWIW - I'm Dan. Can't drive 3 rigs at once but thanks for believing in me.
My rig info
90 LWB
tires - 33"
traction - SR rear locker & front lsd.
gears - 4.625
armor - bumpers, sliders & factory skid plates - all of 'em. hopefully reinforced before the trip.
fire extinguisher - 2
Ice
kids - my beastie is staying home
specialty items - just the mongo and a solar shower
tools - full set, big hammers, pickle fork, torque wrench,
group parts - gen 1 front axles, drag link, tie rod ends, rear drive shaft, other misc stuff avail if anyone has suggestions.
arrival time - tbd.

Last edited:
I wondered about the whole driving 3 rigs at once thing.....But the AZ boys have done much stranger things, so who knows....Hopefully you are using the Gen 2 trailing arms as well? Keep me updated on your "pre wentworth plans" . I will stay lose depending on who wants to do what......
We all got wrenching to do, just maybe we wont all wait until 2 weeks before like we usually do :snorkel:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
All the core Az Crew trucks are built, the two we're bringing this year are better than they were the last time and we had no issues (We just installed 4:1 in Kevin's SR) . The real mean trucks are all staying home this run but we'll break them out next time.

PA_JERO (Kevin's) 1994 SR

Tires -- 35"
Traction -- 2 Lockers
Gears -- 4:1 and 4:90
Armor --mostly complete
Fire Extinguisher -- Yes
Ice or Fridge -- Fridge
Kids -- Not this year
Handy Specialty Items -- OBA
Tools -- Full set
Spares -- TRE set, Drag link, Pair of UCAs, Pair of CVs, Rear Driveshaft (street shaft), Alt and Starter

John has 1989 SWB v6

Tires -- 33"
Traction -- 2 Lockers
Gears -- 2.85 and 4:63
Armor --Complete
Fire Extinguisher -- Yes
Ice or Fridge -- ICE
Handy Specialty Items -- chefs kitchen
Tools -- Full set, Gen 1 Spares

montypower

Adventure Time!
2003 NP Montero

Tires -- 34"
Traction -- ARB Front/Rear & Factory Traction Control
Gears -- 4.90s
Armor -- Full skids (flat belly), Sliders, Bumper, Rear bumper (to be installed prior)
Fire Extinguisher -- Yes
Ice or Fridge -- Fridge & Freezer
Kids -- Heck No
Handy Specialty Items --
Tools -- Basics required for all work done
Group Parts Supply -- I'll bring an extra CV
Other Special Interests -- Photography & Video
Arrival Time - Trail Head Sept 1st

So many OEM parts installed... Basically, anything that was removed had every replaceable part done with new factory parts. My theory is do it once. It will be a slow go, but fun accomplishment for those who doubt 3rd Gen capability. I've driven the Rubicon once with my old 86 4runner (elocker front/rear) ran it with open diffs. I'll be taking my time to avoid body damage. Been driving trails for 13yrs.

I'll be running HAM (2 Meter) radio. Anyone else licensed?

Name: Pete

Last edited:
Ok, in my opinion that's enough Gen 2 parts already? No ham radios I know of, thought about it though. CBs never seem to work. I was thinking we should organize some FRS radios though...

Oso

Forest Defecator
I wondered about the whole driving 3 rigs at once thing.....But the AZ boys have done much stranger things, so who knows....Hopefully you are using the Gen 2 trailing arms as well? Keep me updated on your "pre wentworth plans" . I will stay lose depending on who wants to do what......
We all got wrenching to do, just maybe we wont all wait until 2 weeks before like we usually do :snorkel:
I've got the entire SR thing happening. trailing arms, springs, even the badge hidden on the rear door.
my wrenching is simple. 1.replace a blown cv and swap in a different sr rear end complete with new spring keepers and spacers. 2. raise the fuel tank. 3. swap the rear bumper for something with better departure angle. 4. heater core needs to be done as well.

not much. I have all the parts. just need to spend a weekend under the rig and knock it out. the only potential conflict is my travel schedule and that will only mess with my fixing time.

we have 3 other gen 1's on our little norcal montero rats club. we may go camping a few days before in stanislaus national forest where we have a secret swimming hole. I know the rest of the crew would like to meet and see other rigs even if they can't do the trail.

Toasty

It will be a slow go, but fun accomplishment for those who doubt 3rd Gen capability. I've driven the Rubicon once with my old 86 4runner (elocker front/rear) ran it with open diffs. I'll be taking my time to avoid body damage. Been driving trails for 13yrs.

The Gen 3 will be fine on the 'Con i'm sure, we take it sleazy out on the trail. You'll definitely be the first Gen 3 that I've heard of wheeling the Rubicon, hopefully it'll get some of the others to come out of their shells for next year (although next years theme could be brutality).

montypower

Adventure Time!
The Gen 3 will be fine on the 'Con i'm sure, we take it sleazy out on the trail. You'll definitely be the first Gen 3 that I've heard of wheeling the Rubicon, hopefully it'll get some of the others to come out of their shells for next year (although next years theme could be brutality).

My truck is designed for expedition / long range travel rather than rock crawling. So, I'll leave the brutality to you hard core guys!

FRS works. I have a couple 5watt radios I can bring.

Toasty

You've got big tires and armor, it can crawl fine. The brutality we'll see next year will be less rocks and more obstacles to navigate, check out the Dusy Ershim.

Yes, the Dusy is always the focus of the southern run. Typically its combined with a number of other trails that interconnect beautifully. The Dusy is amazing.

Toasty

The Dusy is amazing and BRUTAL, it it tougher than the Con in it's own way. T-case gears are a big help on that trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94