2002 Trooper Project

CJones

Adventurer
Hey Folks
Back in November (2014) I purchased a 2002 Trooper (bone stock) with just over 91k on it. Very clean. Looked like it was never driven. My goal was/is to slowly build up a vehicle that is capable of getting me to the places I want to go both on and off road while maintaining daily driver practicality. Haven't gotten very far yet, because money is tight and I tend to spend my money on the trips and modify after the fact based on the issues I run into.

Anyhow, I thought I would start a thread so y'all can see what I am up to and also give recommendations based on things you have seen and done with your vehicles.

So far, I rebuilt the transmission (long story short, a week after purchase the trans started slipping, dealer paid 50% of repair cost cause they felt bad), Got new tires, and purchased some recovery gear.

One of my shocks started leaking last week so the lift will be my next project since I need to fix that issue anyway.
Also want to build a drawer/sleeping platform in the back at some point, and figure out a good way for storing a couple spare fuel cans.

Shortly after purchase on a hunting trip at a friends cabin.
View attachment 288509

Early this year on a trip with the upgraded tires. BFG KO2 (got em on sale and I LOVE them) 265/75/16
View attachment 288511

double moo

Adventurer
Rear Coils, HDT-bars, shocks, ball joint flip.. will lift you 2", ride like a new car, and improve your offroading.

jl8088

Adventurer
Good call getting the 2002. In stock form it is pretty much modified compared to similar vehicles. Stock gearing, stock skid plates, stock axle breathers stock diff are all beast. In Texas, put some nice all terrains on it and you're set. When funds permit, old man emu shocks/springs and torsion bar crank will give you some more lift if needed and not expensive either. Enjoy it and use it!

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Troopers make excellent platfoms. Sometimes I wish I had a late model Trooper so I could enjoy some of the newer creature comforts and the more powerful 3.5. But that said, your transmission woes are a common problem with automatics that have the 4L30E. For that reason alone I have stayed away from gen2s with the auto trans. Anyway, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Bart

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
For some reason the links don't work for me, but I look forward to your progress, and more importantly your adventures!

CJones

Adventurer
Well.... With a trip in the near future (June 25 to be exact) Murphy has decided to impose his law on me. The trooper is sagging a little in the rear and we are up to two leaking shocks. So I spoke to the folks at Rocky-Road, gave them my credit card number, and in return they are sending me the OME lift kit. I really hope it arrives in time, or it's going to be a very bumpy 9 days in NM/AZ. Will update when the suspension is installed.

Also, Our trip plans are pretty wide open so if you have any suggestions of places we should camp or see let me know.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I hope you get your stuff sooner rather than later. Rocky-Road is great to work with, but from my experience they typically they don't stock parts...so you might be waiting a while. Did you get the 919s or 912s? You just gonna add springs and crank the front end? Or did you get a more involved kit?

Bart

CJones

Adventurer
I got the HD kit. so I think it is the 919 springs. They have a more expedition style spring but I still drive this thing when it isn't fully loaded and like my spine enough to keep it. The kit has front shocks, rear shocks and the springs which lift it 1.25". Which is perfect for the tires I have and for my desire to not have to modify everything to fit the lift in.
If it doesn't come in time, we will just have to pack really light and take it slow. My wife and I haven't taken a vacation together in 5 years. I'm not missing out on this one!

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I got the HD kit. so I think it is the 919 springs. They have a more expedition style spring but I still drive this thing when it isn't fully loaded and like my spine enough to keep it. The kit has front shocks, rear shocks and the springs which lift it 1.25". Which is perfect for the tires I have and for my desire to not have to modify everything to fit the lift in.
Yeah, that's a good combo right there. The simplicity of lifting Isuzus is one of the nicest things about them. It will be an easy install for sure.

My wife and I haven't taken a vacation together in 5 years. I'm not missing out on this one!
When I hear stuff like that, I feel ashamed that I complain to myself about only taking 2 vacations a year. Do it! :safari-rig:

Bart

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Looks like I'm just going to miss you in AZ, I'm heading out the next day for California. Where abouts are you going to be?

BTW, I have the expedition springs and shocks in the rear of my trooper and it currently has no load whatsoever in it other than me when i drive it....very plush, not very bone jarring at all.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
BTW, I have the expedition springs and shocks in the rear of my trooper and it currently has no load whatsoever in it other than me when i drive it....very plush, not very bone jarring at all.
I agree, I put the 912s in my VX and improved the ride dramatically from stock.

Bart

CJones

Adventurer
Good to know in case I don't like the springs they send. I spoke to them on the phone and they said I should do the HD. Guess I will find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier