Vehicle charging solutions for iPad Mini

doug720

Expedition Leader
Install a BlueSea 1016 Dual USB Power Port.

Done.

That is what I have, and with the stock Apple cable, it will allow the IPad1 to operate and charge, no problem.

Attachments

• P1090800.JPG
    P1090800.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 25
  • P1100255.JPG
    P1100255.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 26

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Which ram attachment are you using for the iPad. Doesn't it move around on bumpy roads ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bretthn

Explorer
I too use a ram mount similar to that on my truck and the movement is negligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobRed

Explorer
That was my original plan. I wanted to install a couple of them on the passenger side of the center console but the 100 doesn't have much space behind there like the 80 did. And I would rather not mess with the factory outlets in the dash.

Where did you mound them in your 100? I am sure you have it documented nicely on your fantastic website. I will take a look.

I mounted one inside the dash for a semi hardwire solution. like you thought about... I have another in the righthand stock location in the center stack. Super easy to replace factory 12v socket. Really it is.

sdnative

Adventurer
I mounted one inside the dash for a semi hardwire solution. like you thought about... I have another in the righthand stock location in the center stack. Super easy to replace factory 12v socket. Really it is.

I don't doubt it. I don't want to replace the factory outlet because I actually use them.

RobRed

Explorer
There is room in the passenger side blank below the center stack vent. You could easily put a blue USB socket there. If you ever want to get rid if it the blank is about $9.

sdnative

Adventurer
Ended up swapping out the cig plug after all. I am going to try a hub as well.

Used a powerwerx 3A dual USB socket because the local HRO had it in stock and it was a few bucks cheaper than the Blue Sea. I assume quality is about the same as Powerwerx makes some nice products.

Removed the trim. Took me a bit to figure out how to get it off. Pulled the wire and connector out of the plastic plug. Turns out it was a direct fit with no cutting wires necessary :luxhello:

IMAG0244.jpg

Removed the cig plug and had to enlarge the hole slightly. I didn't enlarge it too much so the threads on the new plug would engage the trim for a nice tight fit. I really didn't even need the nut on the back.

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

Test fitting. I used heat shrink before the final install.

IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

Left over pieces:

IMAG0252.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
that 'standby' thing is a weird glitch, both our ipad1 and 2 function just fine in our vehicles off of cheap cig-lighter USB power adapters.

and btw, 12 watts is only 1 amp @ 12vdc

You might have 'solved' the wrong problem. It shouldn't take surgery on your vehicle for the ipad to charge while you use it.

moarpower_zpsfb602562.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94