Vehicle charging solutions for iPad Mini

sdnative

Adventurer
I just spent a week on the road using a new iPad Mini with Motionx for navigation. I think it worked great for the most part but one thing I struggled with is keeping it charged. In a pinch I used one of those 12V cigarette plug to USB converters (supposedly supplies the necessary 2.1A and designed to work with the iPad). I found that the battery would deplete while being used and only charge if in standby. Pretty worthless for what I needed it for.

I am interested in getting a real USB charging solution for my vehicle. I have read that the iPad Mini needs 10W-12W to properly charge. Would love to see what charging solutions others have come up with for vehicle charging while in use.

I am looking at one of these, but it may only be rated to 0.9A (4.5W@5V) downstream charging, so wouldn't be enough.

http://www.hubgear.com/automotive.php

Thanks in advance!

WOODY2

Adventurer
Try looking at looking at chargers/converters made by Aukey. They are the real deal and provide the power you need. I use one to power an I Pad Mini and Dual 150 simultaneously. I like you learned the hard way

See if you can change out the lighter socket with a USB panel mount from Blue Sea. They output 2.1a. They interchange with most panel mount cigar lighter type sockets, not sure if you can pull an OEM one out to replace though

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You can find USB 2.1 amp chargers in most electronics stores. I have one that I bought at the source in Canada. Works great.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I haven't had any problems charging my iPad Air with a USB cigarette plug.
I usually have a backup plan if I need a faster charge. I use a cheap inverter and use the supply USB/AC plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SirCampalot

Adventurer
Subscribed. I've had similar issues as the OP while using 2.1a chargers with the ipad/motion-x. I tried two different cigarette adapters rated at 2.1a and neither could keep up with the demand while running Motion-x.

sdnative

Adventurer
I'm going to try one of those Wagan hubs I linked above. Amazon has them for $20. If it works I will cut the end off and hard wire. Will report back..

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Are you using a USB extension cable for chargning?
When I first got an Iphone I needed to extend the reach of the factory charging cable so I used a small diameter USB extension and it would take 12 hours to fully charge. I though there was something wrong with my phone. Turned out to be the small dia cable couldn't flow enough energy to charge the battery...the cable was great for data transfer but not charging.
I charge my Iphone on a 2.1 A cig plug USB adapter no problem. I know it doesn't take as much energy as a Ipad but still a cig plug is rated for around 270W so it has the capability to charge the Ipad.

Darrell

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I know my 2.1 amp charger will keep the battery at a stable charge when using as GPS. YOu should be fine using the same.

sdnative

Adventurer
No extension cable, just the factory lightning cable plugged into the cig lighter usb plug. The cable is maybe 3' long.

There are a lot of shoulds, but reality was with the particular adapter I was using, the battery was being depleted while using. I understand that all adapters are not created equal. I probably got a cheap one. Just looking for a more robust solution at this point.

Last edited:

sdnative

Adventurer
Install a BlueSea 1016 Dual USB Power Port.

Done.

That was my original plan. I wanted to install a couple of them on the passenger side of the center console but the 100 doesn't have much space behind there like the 80 did. And I would rather not mess with the factory outlets in the dash.

Where did you mound them in your 100? I am sure you have it documented nicely on your fantastic website. I will take a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94