2015 gmc 2500 duramax ....? What options oem aftermarket? Gearing?

mlmeans

Adventurer
I am the process of purchasing a new 2015 gmc duramax 4x4 with 6.5 bed. I am researching options and really want to cover my bases as this will be my overland expidition family vehicle.... I am open to suggestions and recommendations both stock options and aftermarket...we do quite a bit of camping exploring fishing hunting now as a family ... Our f150 supercrew has been great and I like the super duty rigs but wife likes gmc and gave me green light so.... I love the duramax ;) seriously it's a great truck I think both are but grew up ford family.... Anyways.... Any help suggestions for gearing, oem additions, after market, will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks everyone. I'm new to site been reading post for weeks now...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I am the process of purchasing a new 2015 gmc duramax 4x4 with 6.5 bed. I am researching options and really want to cover my bases as this will be my overland expidition family vehicle.... I am open to suggestions and recommendations both stock options and aftermarket...we do quite a bit of camping exploring fishing hunting now as a family ... Our f150 supercrew has been great and I like the super duty rigs but wife likes gmc and gave me green light so.... I love the duramax ;) seriously it's a great truck I think both are but grew up ford family.... Anyways.... Any help suggestions for gearing, oem additions, after market, will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks everyone. I'm new to site been reading post for weeks now...

Well, I think you're in luck. My coworker, also a Master Tech, recently removed the DEF and EGR and reflashed the ECM so no Obungo lamp. Sounded easy enough. I'm just glad the aftermarket finally offers a programmer to get rid of the error codes. I'd leave the EGR on if it's harmless, I mean the Ford 6.0 EGR was a grenade, but IMO, if it ain't prone to failure I'd leave it on. I'm a Ford guy, so I'm not that familiar...

I believe his truck was a 2013, 2014 though. Unless the newest Duramax's are different, I'd leave the engine alone after that. Just reliability mods and get rid of the emissions nonsense as needed. The ones I've seen torn down were not the stoutest rotating assemblies I've ever seen. But the engine has tons of power stock, so no worries there.

I'd grab the biggest gears possible. Don't fear the gear. Not sure what's best for a GM, but I won't drive a Ford or Dodge with less than 4.10. 4.56 is my preferred gear usually, unless there's something different about a particular diesel or transmission.

Last edited:

Duramax3388

I haven't kept up on the newest dmax's but used to always be only gear you can get with them is 3.73. Good luck the 2015 are so good looking my favorite HD chevy to date.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Don't know anything about removing DEF & EGR, but the comment after that was leave it alone. The Duramx with Allison transmission is a beast and will go anywhere. There's plenty of power and torque. Load it up, take it off road, and drive it for awhile. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz