Colorado OTC Elk hunting this fall

High Center

Adventurer
Hello all,

I have decided that after years of wanting to hunt Elk, I'm going to stop wishing and just go. I am an experienced hunter- in the east anyway. I am not a stranger to sleeping outside and I'm fit (job requirement). I'm reading all I can and I'm spending a good amount of time watching video.

Over the counter tags sell me on Colorado although I know there are other states that offer the same.
I would love to read whatever tips, advice or direction (North or South etc.) that you may have.

In return- I'll post a pic of my success!

Thanks in advance

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Not in Colorado, but I have hunted elk.

First, good luck! Those critters can roam a LOT. In an area one day, gone to another area the next! Colorado has a huge elk population though so you should be good to go.

Hunt hard. Hike. Glass. Glass some more. Be up before sunrise. Nap in the heat of the day. Be up and glassing until dark. Consider checking at night.... Particularly if you get to hunt during the rut when they're sounding off... Might locate one at night, and go after him in daylight.

Elk hunting can be exhausting. And well worth it.

Enjoy.

High Center

Adventurer
Perfect. Thanks for the good, solid, actionable advice.

I spoke with a Colorado Hunt Planner on Friday. He echoed your advice- go where no one else may be and glass more than you walk.
Just being up there will be enough for me really. I can't wait.

K2ZJ

Explorer
Rifle or archery? When are you coming? Come up a day or two early to get used to the elevation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94