Went west... NY to RTE 66 AZ, UT, CO, SD

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great pics and nice to see a family out and about exploring...
and you took the dog which has its own issues...good on ya :)

looking forward to more and please keep the great commentary coming with the pics.

So the Rte 66 book we used was great, my wife was able to plan out what she wanted to see, and I could see what was easy and not too time consuming. A 3 hour drive day quickly becomes 6 hours with stops, diaper changes, fill ups, lunch... I was glad to find a spot of real Rte 66, dirt, that was easy off and back on the highway.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We headed on to Holbrook AZ. The Campsite was nice and they had a pool, but felt like we were on the top of a plateau.. It was very windy. We were getting used to the campsites that were very flat, almost like parking lots. While in Holbrook we saw the Petrified Forest National Park.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Who has 4 thumbs and want to see a HUGE hole in the ground... These guys!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

An impressive crater, but pretty expensive ($18 per adult). It was very cool to see, but the price kind of annoyed me... and then there was a Subway sandwich shop in the visitors center. I know its not a national monument, but its not a man made tourist attraction either... So a huge crater with what seems like little upkeep needs to charge that much and whore themselves out to a chain sandwich shop? Oh well.

Heading into Arizona we stopped at Bearizona, a drive thru wildlife tour. We were advised to park the camper over in the Post-tour parking lot as the wolves, if I remember correctly, like to chew on tires. I figured the bike on the back would look like lunch so we parked the camper and headed in. My son loved seeing the animals and once we were done, we parked, and walked thru the rest of the Park.
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

fortel

Adventurer
We went to the Meteor Crater in 2010. Knew it was going to be touristy going in but I resolved it somewhat in my mind because I really wanted to see such an intact impact crater. Plus it was after spending part of the previous day in the zoo known as downtown Sedona, so the crater seemed almost wilderness. Anyway, keep posting, I really like the route 66 images you are sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior